• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

1974 BMW R90/6 Project - Part Out

Reaction score
First Name
AJ
1974 R90/6

It was a Euro bike (built in Sept. of 73) Import vin start with 49..... and import started in Jan 74, this is a 40... vin.

I have the title.

Paint is patina'ed but good. One ding on the tank but it's hidden by the seat. Tank has enamel emblems. Avon fairing, Wixon bags (In great shape), seat is ok (could use a cover). Lower end and cams are perfect, pistons are good. Cylinders might clean up with a good hone or will definitely at 1st oversize (Ball hone wouldn't cut it) They are in the "B" range so someone good with a stone hone could possible get them to the "C". The heads need to be taken apart and blasted but look really good as do the rockers and arms. The final drive splines are 40%. It could be used but would be best to fix the splines. I didn't crack the trans but it had water in the oil. If the gears are good, someone could probably get away with just bearings and seals. The clutch is just under new and well within specs. The diode board, alternator and root all bench test good. Drive shaft is good, just needs to be de-chromed and painted. Both wheels are good as well as the brake disc, caliper(I would reseal just because)and drum. The forks are in real nice shape. Lots of chrome on this that is suffering, so it all needs to be blasted and painted. The stock switches are good. Carbs are there but need a full rebuild. Only things missing are the exhaust (It was completely rusted out) and the gauges.

Everything I have taken apart is in baggies and labeled plus I have a bunch of pictures and the manual.

I have $500 in the bike and $300 in shipping. If I can recoup that without individually parting it I would be happy.

Trades considered:
Honda Xl's or XR's or any small bore 4 stroke or ?

Pic's before:

5F8AC08D-749F-44A4-BC10-85B7F66E7C5E_zpsyhgpse3g.jpg

Pic's now:

8B85128A-3753-48BB-B470-267A9C2B0BD6_zpsxk9zapar.jpg

Last edited:
Here goes the part out, I'll be posting this in a couple places so if any of your Airhead friends need parts, hit me up. All prices are plus shipping

Frame, with matching block and lower end (Crank rods and cam are in beautiful shape) Flywheel, Alt., swingers, driveshaft and center stand attached. With the papers. - $300

Transmission (I haven't cracked it but it did have water in it) shift shaft, kicker and throw out bearing included - Sold

Rear Wheel, splines are beautiful, no bends or cracks. Needs to be cleaned - Sold

Front Wheel with disc, good shape just needs a good cleaning - Sold

Final Drive, splines are 40%, bearings are good, needs the shaft drain plus helicoiled - Sold

Front Forks, the lowers have been chromed, the uppers under the headlight ears are currently unknown but the tubes under the fork boots are in great shape. - Sold

Front brake caliper w/master cylinder, both should be rebuilt - Sold

Fork Clamps, upper and lower, been chromed - Sold

Hand Controls, both sides, have been chromed - Sold

Tank and Fenders W/taillight and alloy turn signals, reasonable paint - Sold

Cylinders, will need a hone at a minimum, most likely a 1 over bore, the pistons fell between the B and C range - $100 for the pair

Pistons, Has 89.975 stamped in the dome, great shape, I soaked them in pinesol and cleaned them real good - $25 for the pair

Pushrods - $10

Cylinder Heads, good shape (They need to be blasted and cleaned but the spring side shows no sign of overheating or oil burning), the threads are good (After goD know's how long outside the nuts spun right off) includes the intake spigots and exhaust nuts - Sold

Wixom Saddlebags with mounts, they latch and the glass is good - $200

Or for $800 bucks come and get it and I'll throw in a Avon Touring Fairing.

If anyone needs pics, let me know.

Last edited:
Back