• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

The 2007 Suzuki Bandit 1250S -The Mega Thread

Kewwig, just remember the Yanks on this forum may not understand the global Rugby rivalry. Of course the Wallabies will prevail in future matches between NZ,SA and Aus.

Keep it friendly, you ruffians. We Yanks have heard about those international rugby rivalries! :mrgreen:

Last edited:
:tab I am curious how many of you actually venture out into the other sections of the forum versus just hanging out in the Bandit section?

:tab If you have some good ride reports/pics from your piece of the globe, we would all sure like to see them shared in our regular Story Telling forum. It is always nice to see what other folks get to do with their bikes and what the bike culture is like where they live.

I always check the repair forums for electrical issues I might help with. And of course ride reports. I would like to do a report with pictures from the PNW. Maybe in the near future. AND, The Oasis of My Soul.:rider:

Since there isn't subtopics on this thread and after spending about an hour and half reading through, I figured I will just ask the question even though out of 436 pages, I'm sure it was covered.

The Bandit 1250s is one of two bikes I am down to for my next purchase (the other a FZ1). Without being able to find one close by, I haven't sat on a Bandit yet. My only real concern is how heavy it is for an everyday commuter? I used to ride an 05' FJR daily and it got to be just too much weight to deal with. Will the Bandit be similar or or more like the weight of the FZ1. I've already test rode the FZ1 and it was great, only thing I don't like is having to really wind it up, that is what has lead me to the Bandit along with this thread. For reference I am 5'9, 160lbs, 29" inseam. Sorry for being so long winded!!

Thanks!

Wow! I have a hard time remembering when I was your size. Still have the 5'9" but the inseam has shrunk an inch and the weight is still 45 pounds high.
Now, about the Bandit. You should have no problem with it in slow traffic. The weight is fairly low and I have no problems doing full lock u turns with it. Just have to learn procedure for keeping all working good at very slow speeds. Clutch and rear brakes. In fact, I found it better than the FZ1 a really crawling speeds and the torque is there. You can leave stops at idle with very little clutch slippage. 6th gear is usable ( for me at least ) from 2000 on up rpm. I really don't think you will be disappointed in a Bandit 1250. Near 6 years and over 70,000 miles, I still wuvs my bandit.

My '07 Bandit weighs not quite 5oo lbs. Silky smooth. FI. MASSIVE TORQUE. Downshifts for passing not required unless you need a wow factor. Bullet proof engine. I have done 4-500 days full of spirited twisties and came home almost as fresh as when I left. At least 200Watts of reserve power. 40-50 MPG depending on how much fun you need.
Enjoy!

Awesome guys, this was exactly what I was hoping to read. Achesley, so you don't have any problem with the reach to the ground with the seat in the lower position, especially when it comes to backing up? I could barely do it with the FJR, but I figured the Bandit being lighter and and lower I should be able to manage.

I'm 5'10" and can reach the ground, back it up, etc. I can't sit as low as the Harley riders but then they can't rip it off the line like this Bandit rider! :rider:

I have the Corbin Gunfighter and a lady seat which is about an inch lower than stock. so that really helps with my 28in legs. LOL! Was the first mod for my bike when I bought it. Think I ordered the seat same day I bought the bike.

I have to agree with achesley. You will find that the bandit is user friendly in almost every gear from low revs all the way to red line. You won't have to wind it up to get anywhere with it. The bottom end grunt is what the bike was designed for. Traffic is a breeze. I am on the other end of the scale being 6 foot 4 and 150Kg and the bike is able to shunt my lard around quite easily. I use mine as an everyday commuter and it is easy on the gas and very easy to handle in traffic from peak rush hour to easy highway riding. By far the best bike I have owned. My next bike will probably be a newer year model but probably the same bike.

Since there isn't subtopics on this thread and after spending about an hour and half reading through, I figured I will just ask the question even though out of 436 pages, I'm sure it was covered.

The Bandit 1250s is one of two bikes I am down to for my next purchase (the other a FZ1). Without being able to find one close by, I haven't sat on a Bandit yet. My only real concern is how heavy it is for an everyday commuter? I used to ride an 05' FJR daily and it got to be just too much weight to deal with. Will the Bandit be similar or or more like the weight of the FZ1. I've already test rode the FZ1 and it was great, only thing I don't like is having to really wind it up, that is what has lead me to the Bandit along with this thread. For reference I am 5'9, 160lbs, 29" inseam. Sorry for being so long winded!!

Thanks!

JR, what year FZ are you looking at? I had a 1st Gen and loved it. More hp but less torque than the Bandit. I never really thought I had to wind it up. About the time it wound up I would be doing triple digits.

I brought Abby down with me to commute on during the week...better than not having her near me and I get to spend some time with her..... even it's in the LowCountry instead of the mtns.

Don't know how much current draw your indicator takes but HERE's were I hooked into a switched power lead (page 4). The lead was very easy to get to.

If you are planning on hooking up other electrical goodies, I'd suggest rigging up a relay/fuse box setup as shown in the how-to guide. Feel free to download the how-to pdf.

Hi Mick just ran across your post and I'd like to say you did a great job on the install as well as the detailed write up. Looks real Good. :clap:

FYI, just did oil change with son
1250GSF oil drain plug torque 16.5 FOOT POUNDS of torque.
PS: To MM; son had backup copy of manual on mainframe

I have a question about grips. I want to replace the stock grips but when I went to remove them I discovered that there are different than any grips I've seen. the have grooves on each end to slip over the lips on the throttle.
Are they removable? And how? I rolled up one end for a picture.
I'm wondering if I can put heated grips on there.

IMG_2233-S.jpg

Heated grips can be installed, but you have to file off the ridge on the thottle tube. Comes off easily with a file. I have Oxford Sport grips on mine and they work great, but after 3 years the pattern is wearing off. I may go with the touring grips next time as they are a little larger and have some padding on them.

Heated grips can be installed, but you have to file off the ridge on the thottle tube. Comes off easily with a file. I have Oxford Sport grips on mine and they work great, but after 3 years the pattern is wearing off. I may go with the touring grips next time as they are a little larger and have some padding on them.
Ok thanks , that should have been common sense for me but I didn't
Want to mess it up and have to buy all new from the dealer.
Have you seen an after market throttle tube that fits?

Terry,
Check out heated gloves as an alternative to grips. I've found them to be warmer since the heat is on the outside where the wind is. Also, the wiring you put in for the gloves is easy and can be used for other clothing/devices.

Terry,
Check out heated gloves as an alternative to grips. I've found them to be warmer since the heat is on the outside where the wind is. Also, the wiring you put in for the gloves is easy and can be used for other clothing/devices.

Amen! I'll do the gloves over the grips anytime. And, quite a few times have used both together when I was on BMW GS's.

Terry,
Oh yea if I'm heading out for several hours in the winter I'll wear my heated gloves, but just everyday commuting in 45deg weather I find heated grips to be much more convenient. The gloves are a bit bulky too.:rider:

They have heated gloves that are not bulky. I have a set and they work great and offer the same protection as my race gloves.

They have heated gloves that are not bulky. I have a set and they work great and offer the same protection as my race gloves.
That must be true because so many people have them. I bought mine many years ago when Widder was in business.I normally wear a size large and I had to get small so they would fit and the fingers are still too long.
What brand do you have?:ponder:

Back