• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

FM674 (far west hillcountry)

brd

Reaction score
What?

This road is 60 miles through the middle of nowhere on the far western outskirts of the hillcountry. For 20 or 30 miles, it meanders along the West Nueces riverbed, which makes for some good elevation changes and nice scenery.

medium.gif

The northern 15 miles of the road are not that great. It is narrow, there was construction (in April 2003), and the surface was kind of bumpy. The only fun stuff here is a few low water crossings.

medium.gif

The next 20-30 miles were the best. As I said, FM674 hugs the river valley and most of it is on the edge of the hills.

medium.gif

medium.gif

This part was fantastic!

Then the road turns away from the river valley and you pass the road to Kickapoo Cavern State Park.

Then there is 20 miles of flat, straight nothing (except scrub brush and roadrunners).

Also, out here in the middle of nowhere is The Alamo Village where they have the replica Alamo where many movies, including The Alamo with John Wayne, have been filmed.

FM674 is a great road to go check out. But be careful, and be sure you have enough gas. There are no intersections, houses or anything on this whole 60 mile stretch and you will not see many other vehicles.

Where?

From Rock Springs (70 miles W/SW of Kerrville) down to Brackettville. This road is not easy to get to, but that's part of its charm.

If you're down in the Hillcountry, you could go from Camp Wood, up TX55 to Rocksprings, down 674 to Bracketville, take FM334 east to Laguna, and then TX55 back N to Camp Wood for a nice loop.

Designation
FM674, this stretch is marked as part of the Texas Pecos Trail.

I've never traveled that road - thanks for letting us in on it!

335 is awesome !!!....but watch for Axis deer and large turkeys crossing in mid-day !!

336 north from Leakey is ugly since they graded/bulldozed all the vegetation
on both sides of the road....and generally is less scenic than 335.

337 and 335 are my favorites in the state

and 39 back to Kerrville is hard to beat, but loaded
with whitetails

MP

Have ridden that road several times. Last time there, I almost took out a cruiser (and me) at this overlook:
Tom.jpg

Popped up over the hill and there was 5 of them putting out onto the road. Sure glad the GW has ABS cause I did a panic stop for sure.:eek2:

A lot of times, I will include the forth but not well known sister 334 in that loop.

Great road but watch out for the Sheriff around Brackettville...its 55mph. We came that way in April 06 from Big Bend to Rocksprings for THC Roundup 06 in Kerrville. He stopped some of our group but let them go with a warning " its 55mph ". Wonderful ride on FM 674.

FM 674 is great. I rode it from south to north a few years ago. I really enjoyed the isolation of that road. It's such a departure from what I have to contend with here in the DFW MetroMess...

Desert Skies said:
Have ridden that road several times. Last time there, I almost took out a cruiser (and me) at this overlook:
Tom.jpg

Popped up over the hill and there was 5 of them putting out onto the road. Sure glad the GW has ABS cause I did a panic stop for sure.:eek2:

A lot of times, I will include the forth but not well known sister 334 in that loop.

I have seen several squished skunks on that road. Running over those guys throws some of their fur on the fairing. It smells for many miles!

Anyway, it is a great route. BTW, your GW looks really comfortable.

Happy Trails,

Red

Back