TWT Forums  

Go Back   TWT Forums > General Discussion > Upcoming Rides, Trips and Events

Notices

Forum Jump

Old 05-20-2018, 12:19 PM   #1
michaellmcc

Northern Walkabout

A picture that’s worth a thousand words (all uttered through clenched teeth):

It was a snowy day at Wonowon and I needed a little help to get untracked there on the Alcan Highway, on our last trip up in 2013. I never thought I’d want to ride to Alaska again. In fact, I was sure of it.

But time heals all wounds (and memory fades), and my three compadres wanted an even number, so a foursome from Central Texas is heading for the Yukon, Northwest Territories, Alaska, and even the Arctic Ocean next week, weather permitting. I don’t mean departing Texas in late May depends on the weather, but getting close enough to take a dip in the Arctic Ocean in early June sure as heck does. “Break-up” has to happen big time.

Crocodile Dundee described walkabout thusly: A spontaneous journey through the wilderness of one's choosing in an effort to satisfy one's itchy feet, a need to be elsewhere, the craving for the open road, that space over the horizon...yes... something like that... you can't quite touch it so you have to go find it because you just know it's there. Or maybe it just feels good to go walking around. Yeah, it's WALKABOUT.

Obviously, we’re a world away from Dundee’s Oz, and we’re riding motorcycles instead of walking, but otherwise the description fits perfectly.

Travis and Scott are ex-Navy; Travis is actually a former Marine, but that’s part of the USN, and he coined the term “Northern Walkabout”. They reckoned as how we should, like Popeye and the rest of the Navy, get tats on our forearms as something of an insignia for our expeditionary force. We three agreed with just about all off-the-wall aspects of the adventure, even looking forward to the mummified toe “Sourtoe” cocktails in Dawson. That’ll probably be the subject of another story in due course. However, Meryl is originally from Kansas, the “buckle” of the Bible Belt, and he’s far too conservative for tattoos, fearing (with good reason) that his wife would remove it with his angle grinder. Likewise, Kansans don’t imbibe alcoholic beverages garnished with mummified toes.

Since we can’t do tattoos, we have custom MotoScreenz windshield stickers for the bikes, which will serve as a reminder to us and other explorers (if we see any) that this is a serious matter: Miles and miles of miles and miles, isolation, cold Arctic winds, hungry polar bears. Plus, the stickers will be a lot easier and less painful to remove than tattoos once we return to civilization!

The journey maps something like this…each way…without showing the inevitable side trips. In other words, nearly 14,000 miles:

Why undertake this on motorcycles? Well, refer to the definition of “WALKABOUT” above. On the other hand, there’s this more succinct explanation:

“If you have to ask that question, you wouldn't understand the answer.”
- John McPhee, Coming into the Country

Hasta la vista.

"Travel far enough, you meet yourself."
michaellmcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 10:31 PM   #2
misterk
Forum Supporter

Re: Northern Walkabout

Good luck, I have subscribed

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
misterk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 06:16 AM   #3
t-cab12

can't wait to hear all about this!
t-cab12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 08:15 AM   #4
gixxerjasen

Good stuff. How many days will your group be on the road to accomplish this?
gixxerjasen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 08:17 AM   #5
Montejay
Forum Supporter

Nice, looking forward to the reports and pics.
Montejay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 11:46 AM   #6
tshelfer

No snow for THIS Texas boy, but I'll enjoy following your adventure.

'05 red VStrom - sold
'79 Honda CB650 - sold
'75 Honda CB400F Super Sport - sold
'74 Suzuki TS185 enduro - liberated by a needy soul
'72 Yamaha RT3 enduro - sold
tshelfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 12:44 PM   #7
michaellmcc

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxerjasen View Post
Good stuff. How many days will your group be on the road to accomplish this?
The only way to answer that is "as long as it takes".

Being retired has its advantages...

Old 05-21-2018, 01:55 PM   #8
Tabasco
Forum Supporter

Cool, look forward to the report also. As the old man of the Trippen’ Connie’s adventures that is the only land continuous state we haven’t done. Son only gets 2 weeks off for our trips so it’s pretty hard to do. Wife and I took an Alaskan cruise in ‘16 and while in Denali I kept seeing a constant flow of motorcycles coming thru and heading further north. Can’t imagine the planning, Alaska is such a huge state with a lot of miles of nothing but scenery. While in Anchorage I went by a motorcycle rental place and they let me ride one of those Chinese adventure bikes around the block so I could say I have ridden in 49 States. Y’all be safe and have a Sourtoe for me.

-- Larry --

2008 Kawasaki Concours 14
2013 Kymco People GT300i
2014 Suzuki DL1000A
2016 Honda Gold Wing F6B
Tabasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 04:06 PM   #9
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

Total Forum Supporter Donations For October: $323.43 - Previous Month: $685.11 - Record High: Jan 16 $1539.42 - 128 Current Forum Supporters out of 20679 Users (0.62%)
Support TWT by shopping at Amazon

The number one rule for this forum!
Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. Eph 4:29 (NIV)
Think before you post. Leave out the vulgarity, personal attacks and foul language!

Quote:
"However lofty the goals, if the means be depraved, the result must reflect that depravity." - Leonard E. Read

Lies are fragile. They require constant attentiveness to keep them alive. The exposure of a single truth can rip through an ocean of lies, evaporating it instantly. - Brandon Smith

If you want government to intervene domestically, you’re a liberal. If you want government to intervene overseas, you’re a conservative. If you want government to intervene everywhere, you’re a moderate. If you don’t want government to intervene anywhere, you’re an extremist. — Joe Sobran

It is no crime to be ignorant of economics, which is, after all, a specialized discipline and one that most people consider to be a ‘dismal science.' But it is totally irresponsible to have a loud and vociferous opinion on economic subjects while remaining in this state of ignorance. – Murray N. Rothbard

When one possessed of the Truth suffers from a heavy heart he is susceptible to a more dangerous affliction — the craving for power to eradicate error, to cause Truth to triumph by force. - Frank Chodorov

Where politicians flourish, long history has harshly taught us, people and their liberty wither. Where the state is god and the "public interest" worshipped, individual man will be found bleeding upon the altar. - Karl Hess

The accepted wisdom is that without the state, society would collapse into lawlessness and crime. In fact, lawlessness and crime define the very nature of the state and the society organized by it. - Bionic Mosquito

But the myth of the rule of law does more than render the people submissive to state authority; it also turns them into the state's accomplices in the exercise of its power. For people who would ordinarily consider it a great evil to deprive individuals of their rights or oppress politically powerless minority groups will respond with patriotic fervor when these same actions are described as upholding the rule of law. - John Hasnas
Tourmeister is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 11:13 PM   #10
SpiritAtBay
Forum Supporter

gina

'09 Suzi DL650 (Quite possibly the best bike for me)
'00 Yami TTR250m (Dirty Sally)
'12 KTM 690 Enduro (O Orange One/ "3 Oh")

Dos Semanas En Mexico - Oct2017

Mexico Paved - Oct2015

A Week in New Mexico - Oct2014
SpiritAtBay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 08:11 AM   #11
Jeff S
Forum Supporter

You had me with that photo......
Old 05-29-2018, 07:24 PM   #12
SpiritAtBay
Forum Supporter

Wha happen?

Have they left yet? Has he forgotten about us?.

gina

Mexico Paved - Oct2015

Old 06-09-2018, 02:32 PM   #13
michaellmcc

[Maybe Mr. Moderator will move this thread to trip reports?]

Welllllllllll, decent internet so a short update.

It’s Saturday, June 9th, and here we are in Dawson City, Yukon, center of the famous Klondike Gold Rush, the end of paved highways, and approaching the Arctic Circle. But how did we get here?

My three compadres and I, all being somewhat headstrong, took individual routes to Livingston, MT, for the official start of the Northern Walkabout.

The first exciting, adventurous day was the ride from Austin to Clovis on May 25th. North of Sweetwater, I saw (and felt) 102F, and “climbed” to Texas’ (in)famous South Plains, where the adventure was crabbing against the strong crosswind (a recurring theme), dodging dust devils, basking in the fragrance of feed lots, and catching a very short glimpse of Lubbock, where I spent ten years at Tech. No, wait, checking my math, I forgot to carry the one; it was actually only 4-1/2 years. Sure felt like ten...

Clovis is a stop I really enjoy. First off, all trains in the Lower 48 are required to converge there…and toot their horns. The steak dinner at K-Bob’s is usually good. Waking up in Clovis after listening to the lonesome train whistles all night is almost always a great feeling…dry, cool morning, on the edge of New Mexico and the coming mountains. My track would be NW to Las Vegas, Taos, into Colorado and the northern latitudes.

I met two TWT's in Santa Rosa who were also riding to Alaska, so we rode to Las Vegas for coffee, then on to Taos, where they went west and I went north. Hopefully we'll reconnect down the road...

Day 2 was the ride from Clovis to Leadville, CO, which sits at 10,000’ elevation. Leadville is a fine historic mining town, good coffee and food, very cool temperatures, etc. It would be even better if I COULD BREATHE there; the Hill Country of Texas doesn’t really prepare one for high altitudes.

On Day 3, I rode from Leadville to Pinedale, WY, where I was met again with mountains and cool temps and wind and a threat of rain. Another coincidence at a wonderful little family-run motel - I ran into another TWT on his way to Alaska. Go figure. Day 4, through the Tetons and about half way through Yellowstone, stopping in West Yellowstone, MT, for the night. Then Day 5 was back into Yellowstone NP and to its northern exit at Gardiner, near Livingston, followed by a couple of days off to relax and have new tires (Michelin Anakee Wilds) fitted at a small shop in Bozeman. Two of the others arrived a day later and did their own tire changes on the ground. Obviously, you gotta be tough (or extremely frugal) to be an adventurer…

That brings us to Friday, June 1st, the official trip kick-off. Mileage is not our goal, so we only rode as far as Glacier NP and camped on its eastern edge. Windy and rainy all day…and Going to the Sun Highway was still closed due to snow accumulation. That meant the following morning (Saturday) we could only ride a little less than half of it, then turn around and retrace our route, turning north toward Canada, a simple border crossing, and more mountains to Banff. Great provincial park campground just on the edge of town. Sunday was another short day, being around 200 miles (although they don’t really have miles in Canada) to Jasper, along the Icefields Parkway, with views of the glaciers. Monday we left Jasper, entered British Columbia, and traversed Prince George and Dawson Creek, then spent the night in Fort Nelson, where two of us decided to stay in a beautiful riverside motel (log cabins). The other two camped (yes, the same “tough” two that had changed their own tires…). We’ll (or at least I will) mix camping and motels along the way.

Dawson Creek was the official start of the Alcan Highway, so we were truly on our way, around 3,000 miles from Austin.

We’ve covered a lot of miles on the Alcan from Dawson Creek BC to Dawson City YT, where we have nice accommodations called the Bunkhouse. It’s actually large, old building with two floors of small individual rooms, each facing outdoor walkways. There’re nice and clean and beat the heck out of our tents, which we’re drying out and deodorizing after several wet nights. Here in Dawson, it looked like daylight last night at midnight.

We’re gathering intel for the ride to the Arctic Circle and ocean, which we’ll begin tomorrow, by talking to several riders on their way back. It‘ll be about a four or five day, segmented expedition, a round trip of around 1,000 miles. No pavement and very few places to stop, so it’s done in pieces: Dawson to Eagle Plains in one day, then to Inuvik the next day, then the next day up to Tuk and back to Inuvik, then reverse. We’re hoping for largely dry weather.

The crew:

Signpost Forest in Watson Lake:

Posting our expedition sign:

Along the Alcan:

Finally, here's the SPOT link for real-time (more or less) position: http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...DZ2WhUTcmV5Rnl

Last edited by michaellmcc; 06-09-2018 at 04:55 PM. Reason: Photos
Old 06-10-2018, 03:00 PM   #14
SpiritAtBay
Forum Supporter

Thanks for the update!

gina

Mexico Paved - Oct2015

Old 06-15-2018, 01:20 PM   #15
pacman
Forum Supporter

Looking at doing AK in 2020. Love reading these reports. Thanks for posting!

Pacman

Kawasaki C14
pacman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 01:56 AM   #16
michaellmcc

This is going to be brief...

We’ve seen a lot of wilderness and a few towns since the entry of June 9th. Here we are in Fairbanks on Tuesday, 6/19, taking a well-deserved day off…catching up on laundry, including washing the mud-spattered riding gear. Upon arriving here yesterday afternoon, our first stop was a car wash so we could power wash the dried mud that coated our bikes. We needed that first so we could take them to the shop for tires and oil changes. They’re not clean now by any means, but at least the worst of it has been removed. We all put on new rear tires (Michelin Anakee Wild) after around 5,000 miles on every conceivable [rough] road surface since leaving Montana. More on that later.

It may be obvious to everyone else, but I think I’ve finally sorted through the important “highways” that we’ve traveled, which go by names rather than numbers. And they’re all highways in the broadest sense of the word, regardless of their width, composition, or surface condition.

Alcan (or Alaska) Highway (paved) from Dawson Creek, BC to Delta Junction, AK
Richardson Highway (paved) from Delta Junction to Fairbanks
Klondike Highway (paved) from Whitehorse, Yukon to Dawson City, Yukon
Dempster Highway (unpaved) from Dawson City to Inuvik
ITH - Inuvik to Tuktoyaktuk Highway (unpaved)
Top of the World Highway (part paved, part unpaved) from Dawson City to Tok, AK
Elliot Highway (paved) from Fairbanks to Livengood, AK
Dalton Highway (largely unpaved) from Livengood to Deadhorse/Prudhoe Bay, AK

For us, the adventure trifecta comprised the Dempster, Top of the World, and Dalton, which we rode without incident, but not without time and effort and a little excitement along the way. So I'll just throw in some photos and fill in the gaps later.

Arctic Circle north of Dawson City:

Eagle Plains, half way to Inuvik:

Morning departure for Inuvik:

Inuvik arrival:

Tuk, Inuit village on the Beaufort Sea (Arctic Ocean):

Objective achieved - top of the North American continent, overlooking the Beaufort Sea:

Crossing into Alaska on the Top of the World Highway:

Chicken, AK:

Fair warning between Coldfoot and Deadhorse on the Dalton:

Paralleling the Alaska Pipeline in the Brooks Range:

Another objective achieved:

Old 06-20-2018, 09:00 PM   #17
gixxerjasen

Hey, I sent Nathan, a friend from another board that I lured over here, your link to this thread and he said he did run into you guys up there on his trip. Don't know how much time ya'll spent together or if you rode together at all. If you did spend any time with him, you should know he went down on the Dempster hwy and had to have back surgery on Saturday. He's recovering really well and will be flying home on Friday of this week. Apparently the bike is not making the return trip.

Old 06-24-2018, 06:51 PM   #18
michaellmcc

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxerjasen View Post
Hey, I sent Nathan, a friend from another board that I lured over here, your link to this thread and he said he did run into you guys up there on his trip. Don't know how much time ya'll spent together or if you rode together at all. If you did spend any time with him, you should know he went down on the Dempster hwy and had to have back surgery on Saturday. He's recovering really well and will be flying home on Friday of this week. Apparently the bike is not making the return trip.

Oh No! I met Nathan in Dawson City, when he asked if we were the four TWT-ers you had told him about. Yes, we were.

We didn't ride together, as our voyages north were timed differently. I do remember seeing him coming toward us as we were heading south after going to Tuk. I think it was south of Inuvik but not sure. I had no idea he later had an accident. Given its apparent severity, an after action review when he gets around to it might be informative to others.

All the best to him for a speedy recovery.

Last edited by michaellmcc; 06-24-2018 at 06:54 PM.
Old 06-24-2018, 07:14 PM   #19
gixxerjasen

Yea, he's not sure what happened. Road felt funny, then he woke up staring at the sky with someone running up to help. Had back surgery and some minor PT to get him cleared to go home. Got back home yesterday. His wife is taking it well and they are already talking about his next bike, so there's that.

Here's some images, some are huge. I can't seem to use BBCode to resize so they are just links. Helmet definitely did it's job though for sure.

https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net...fd&oe=5BB4FA96

https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net...5b&oe=5BB006B5

https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net...b5&oe=5BE7E066

https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net...0b&oe=5BA095E5

https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net...0f&oe=5BBA7FA7

https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net...06&oe=5BE670FA

https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net...96&oe=5BB0FD98

https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net...9d&oe=5BAA8D55

https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net...14&oe=5BA88D01

https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net...dd&oe=5BB64CD1
Old 06-24-2018, 11:37 PM   #20
Windmill

He needs to hang that helmet up. It very well could have saved his life. The helmet took a tremendous blow. Glad he will be ok.
#1 True Love and
#2 Homegrown Tomatoes
Windmill is online now   Reply With Quote