• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

The new Girl

dower

Reaction score
First Name
Will
Scott, finally beat into my head that I needed a dual sport. So here she is. Introducing Riley.... she is a 2003 BMW F650GS Dakar.

{pic moved to here by mod due to size}

Last edited by a moderator:
Will,

Great lookig ride you have there!! I have been eyeballing the 650 Dakar that last few days on the BMW web site and others. Today after church I was telling my father all about how I thought he needed one to keep at his lake house in East Texas so I could come and ride it. :lol: I dont think I was very convincing :roll:

Very nice, can't wait to hear your impressions after a few rides. Is it a viable freeway commuter?

Very nice Will :bigokay:

Nice looking ride. Another person moves to the Dark Side. Man I can feel the pull getting stronger as I sit here

txmedic said:
Very nice, can't wait to hear your impressions after a few rides. Is it a viable freeway commuter?

I braved the cold today and did a little riding. Top speed, is about 105. So, I think it will work on the highway. :lol: Not much vibration, felt really smooth. Actually felt alot better that I had anticipated. Can't wait to spend a few hours on it. I'll keep everyone posted.

:chug:

Will,

I am going to have a real problem if you start posting trip reports and pics of all the fun you are having out in the dirt and mud.

Please take it easy on a guy who can not afford another bike in the garage.

Kelly

PS. I just might find a way to throw some knobbies on the silver Bandit. I bet I could really kick up some mud and dirt with all that torque.

Nice bike, dower! :chug:

What tires do you have on 'em, Anakees? I've got knobbies (D606s) on my DR650, and was thinking about getting something a little less aggressive for the street.

That **** Scott is such a talker. After thursday night he about has me convinced I need a GPS. Next thing he'll have me on a dirt bike too.

Really great bike Will, congrats !! :-D

The only thing I have to say is.....
For the first time in all my sportbiking/motorcycling life, I reluctantly had to buy a 'battery tender' for the RC51......darn that new GS of mine!!
Scott's duped us all with his subliminal "dirt" message.
signing out, victim number 01345. :shock:

I love the 650. Tell us more about it. Where did you find it? How many miles? Did you have to ride it home from Chicago in a blizzard?

Can't wait to see it. And to hear your impressions. If you can do any kind of highway miles comfortably, it makes a lot more sense as a DS bike than a 1150 cc behemoth.
Don't get me wrong, I love my behemoth...

So, which one is going to be your track bike?

Congrats! Can't wait to go out and play!

Adios,

Dower:

Everything you ever wanted to know about that bike is on www.f650.com

Maintenacne, quirks, rides, rallys... they even have two free DVDs available with step-by-step directions on nearly every single thing you could possibly need to do to it. Literally everything from fixing a flat to splitting the cases, and all points in between.

Congrats on the bike!

Nice bike, one of these days I'm going back....

buck000 said:
What tires do you have on 'em, Anakees? I've got knobbies (D606s) on my DR650, and was thinking about getting something a little less aggressive for the street.
Try IRC GP110's. They're no knobbie in the dirt, but work waaaaaay better than any DS tire I've tried. On the street you can push them all the way to the edge of the tread with confidence. :dude:

I like it, Will. Looks very clean too, but I am sure you will change that. :twisted:

Congratulations.

Congrats Will on the DS. :chug: :chug: It sure didn't take you long to fill up the empty space in your garage -- 3 days huh? Can't wait to see it in person & you on it. It's going to be strange to see you on something other than a sportbike. What's the deal people ..... everyone is going to the dark side. :-| :evil: :-|

Congratulations, Will! What a neat bike!! I've met several Beemer riders who have purchased F650s as second rides and ended up parking their R, RT, KRS, whatever and using the F650 as their primary ride. It's just a great all-around little bike for commuting, touring, off-roading, whatever.

Naturally, I've been meeting so many DS riders lately that I too am feeling the pull to the dark side!!

Enjoy!!

new bike

That is such a neat looking motorcycle. I have heard they are very smooth on the road. Can you compare the smoothness to anything else to give us an idea? Enjoy! :-D

David

fastraveller said:
Can you compare the smoothness to anything else to give us an idea?
I've really only ridden sport bikes, so don't know what to other bikes it would be comparable too. :oops:

Sleepy Weasel said:
FJRMike said:
I can see an "around the world" trip in your future.
No word from him since Sunday afternoon... maybe he's already started.
:lol:
I haven't been on because I've just been in the garage taking it apart. :roll: Not that I need too. I just wanna know what's, what.

zaphodbroxy said:
Congrats Will, I guess 'Riley' will make the parting from 'Lucy' more bearable.
No, I still miss that bike. I hope she is treating you well. How is your back and wrist? :lol:

dower said:
I haven't been on because I've just been in the garage taking it apart. :roll: Not that I need too. I just wanna know what's, what.

That is half the fun of owning a bike, for me at least :lol:

Congrats on the new bike!!!!

fastraveller said:
Can you compare the smoothness to anything else to give us an idea?

Smoother than a boxer or V-twin above 40 MPH
Not as buzzy as many I4 sportbikes (excluding K12RS ;-) )
Very happy singing (above 5K RPM)

Really outstanding for a single :chug:

Back