• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

power loss and vibration

Reaction score
hello every body.i'm a new member to forum but not new to the bandits for sure.i had 2005 and 2003 bandit 1200's and i have a bandit 1250 at the moment.
i will try to explain the problem im having as simple as i can i'd really appreciate any input.my bike has 42k miles and developed a power loss and slight vibration along with it recently.i checked for any air leaks but didnt find any.its all original except kn filter and spark plugs are about 14k old.
all started towards the end of my 1400 miles trip.i just noticed a loss of power in every gear and a little vibration.and strangely my mpg got better which is the only positive thing about the situation.i used to have 37-38 mpg but now im having 44-46 mpg.i changed the the fuel filter,air filter is clean.no air leaks and no back firing whatsoever.and i'm having a little smell of fuel occasionally but didnt see any leaks.
i checked for any error code's but its Coo,so no problem there either.
i'm at the end of my wits and would appreciate any input.

Maybe dropped a cylinder? Get one of those IR thermometers from Harbor Freight or Home Depot and shoot all the header pipes with the engine running to see if one is cooler. If it is, maybe a bad spark plug/cap/coil. Or you could go cheap and try the old touch each header really quick with your fingers kind of like your mom used to do to see if the iron was hot, but you might loose some skin.:lol2:

thanks toe jam but all cylinders seems to have the same temp.i sprayed some water and it all looks the same.

Probley a plugged jet or other issue in a carb running on one less cyl because no gas is going thru it. Open the drain valve one at a time with the motor running if you can . If one doesn't dribble gas under the bike it could be a stuck float not letting the gas into the carb . The infared thermo will tell which cylinder is cold . Take a temp shot the same distance from the head on each pipe the cold one is not firing . I sync carbs with the thermo when the exhaust temps are equal it's running right . Learned that on antique staionary diesels years ago , they had a thermo gauge in each exhaust port . Exhaust temp at idle is over 300 hundred degrees a temp gauge is required .

Last edited:
Back