• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

DR350SE questions...

Any recommendattions for a source/supplier for a stator for this?

For future reference, never plug in the VRR with the engine running (or even ignition turned on). That will blow easily enough. DAMHIK. Although they're not the most expensive thing on the bike, they ain't cheap, either.

So noted... Thx.

well there is a problem, seems there is a shortage of stators, nobody appears to have any, Ricks can rewind it for $175

best bet may be to take it to Texas alternator starter service at 9545 north IH35 in Austin and see if they will rewind it or know someone who can.

their number is (512) 836-6601

bike bandit has a regulator.
http://www.bikebandit.com/aftermarket-parts/motorcycle-electrical-parts/1996-suzuki-dr350se-rectifiers-regulators/p33?m=139238&f=2

there are also instructional videos on you tube that show how to rewire one.

Inexpensive please. :-)

Maybe this fits, research first before ordering as I didn't.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SUZUKI-DR350S-DR-350-S-DR-350S-IGNITION-STATOR-FLYWHEEL-MAGNETO-COVER-/281952205587?hash=item41a5a93b13:g:CF8AAOSwWTRW10Qa&vxp=mtr

or contact this TWT seller. At the end of his first post he has two parts bikes. Different years but seller states he is into DR's so probably knows the interchangeability. Or go to a Suzuki parts fiche and start comparing p/n's for different years and models. Along that same line I also have a '91 DR650 stator if by chance it's the same part. I would let it go for very cheap.
http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109613

_

I fired off an email to RickyStator to see if 1)they still do this for these bikes and 2)an approximate cost/timeframe

I also looked at the ebay listing and that's for the "S" kickstart model only which is different than the magic button "SE" model. Thanks though...

RickMillerTX went through this with his dr400 after it died at Uncles Big Bend. He bought and had to return two stators before getting a good one on the third try. I would pm him if you are not finished with this part of the project.

Finished up the Beemer maintenance yesterday, been working on the jeep the past week. Hopefully will get to it next week.

Got the new-to-me stator buttoned up in the housing along with a new oil filter. Then I realized Woods Honda ordered me the wrong side gasket. Doh! So that went back today and they ordered the correct one (I hope).

The old gasket came off without any tears or cuts and I have some gasket sealer here at the house. Is there any drawbacks to using the old one? Or should I just wait on the new one that hopefull will be here mid-next week?

I'd just reuse the old one maybe with a very VERY thin coat of gasket maker as a backup.

You aren't in a rush so you could wait, but since it is on the way you can install and if you need to you can install the other when it comes in. Depends on how much you are willing to risk rework and how hard it was getting to this point. Guess I didn't help much.

Come up for pizza and beer tonight and we can figure it out. :-)

Same thoughts here. Why wait? It should not take but a few minutes to remove and replace when the new one gets to you. This way you can test it out in case they sent a bad stator.

Thanks for all the input. I decided to head out of town for a long weekend. Will do it when I get back on Sunday. Thanks!

And thanks for the pizza offer, Rusty!

I finished buttoning up the stater cover and connections today. How long should I wait with the new gasket and seal before I add oil and start it? 12 hours? 24 hours?

I finished buttoning up the stater cover and connections today. How long should I wait with the new gasket and seal before I add oil and start it? 12 hours? 24 hours?

I usually wait somewhere between 15-60 seconds. Basically however long it takes me to get a bottle of oil and start filling it up. :-)

Back