• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Ladies - can you help?

Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Norman
I've read some of the threads on the difficulties in finding gear that fits properly, but I don't know that I've seen this particular problem raised. I need some kind of textile or maybe mesh jacket for my 18 year-old daughter, but in addition to being female shaped, she’s also…, um…, vertically challenged. I really don’t know how tall she is, but my wife is 5’0” and my daughter is an inch or two shorter than she is. She (the daughter) usually wears a medium in a top, but long sleeves are almost always too long for her. We have a real problem with jackets since the sleeves are not easily shortened. The only pants she’s found that fit her off the rack are girls-plus at JCPenney. Everything else has to be shortened.

So with that in mind, she needs a jacket. I know I shouldn’t, but I’ll relent and let her ride in jeans as long as she has on boots and a good armored jacket. Besides fit, the only other requirement is that it not be horribly expensive. Actually, I would prefer used (are you listening Guanaja). It’s not really the price, but she rides so rarely that I just hate spending big bucks on something that will get so little use. Can any of you offer suggestions on what might fit her? Do any of you have any used gear for sale? Have any of you worn too long sleeves and used the wrist zippers to keep them in place? If so, how did that work? How was elbow placement?

What I would really like is for one of you to tell me that you have exactly what I need and that it’s for sale. But barring that, I’m really interested in what you might have found that works for you.

Thanks,

Lee,

I'm currently wearing a jacket that has multiple snaps that close the jacket around the forearms and biceps. I would think that a jacket like that would allow you to place the elbow armor where it needs to be, so that even if there is some extra material billowing above or below, the armor would still be effective in a spill.

Insofar as britches go, take a look at some of the motorcross gear. They seem to have a better kid-sized selection. Just a thought.

Wish I had some old stuff to give away. Got a helmet that fits her okay? If not, i might have a full-face she can use.

bedlam said:
Got a helmet that fits her okay? If not, i might have a full-face she can use.
She only has an open face helmet. If you have a full-face just taking up space, she could take it off of your hands.

look at Olympia gear. The womens pants have 3 to 4 inches at the bottom that use velcro so if you hem them you don't get into the zipper.

Maxim Honda in Allen actually has a good selection as does Moto Liberty off 35E and Royal

Kim wears a Joe Rocket Alter Ego and it seems to be a very good all-purpose/all-season jacket that fits her very well.

Yep, I have a JR Alter Ego and it seems to do me just fine. They make'em in ladies now, but I wear a men's small and it has been the perfect jacket for me.

She'll probably just have to try some on and see what fits her best.

For me I prefer NOT to wear ladies-specific gear as it tends to not fit me as well and I don't like all the curvy stuff they make. That and I don't like the foo foo colors they make in some of the ladies stuff. Also, some of the ladies gear seems to run a little short in the waist area. I see so many ads for jackets in the motorcycle mags Squidward gets where you can see skin showing between where the waistband ends and where the jacket begins and I want to be fully covered.

My one exception is that I might get a pair of the JR Alter Ego pants for women because the men's were too long for me.

Oh yeah, and the Alter Ego has snaps in 2 spots on each arm with 2 different fits (one looser, one tighter). I always wear mine on the tighter fit, just to keep the armor more snug against me.

I just bought a JR Phoenix (4 I think) jacket for a friend of mine to ride with me. She's a little over 5' and the medium fits her perfectly. I got this one for $50 from New Enough on close out. IIRC they had a XS size on closeout too.

here's a link: New Enough.com

they don't have a XS but they do have a small. and for $46 its hard to argue with.

its the Phoenix 3.

I got a black/silver model that doesn't look girly at all. it actually fits my dad quite well :brainsnap

wildebube said:
She only has an open face helmet. If you have a full-face just taking up space, she could take it off of your hands.

I have a black full-face HJC, size small. It is...ah...well-used. I'll even include the goat-like odor for no extra charge! :mrgreen:

No kiddin', it's yours for the taking, if you want it. I think we'll be around most of this weekend.

Thanks everybody. I figured that her height, or lack thereof, would be a bigger problem than it appears to actually be. I think we may just head over to MotoLiberty on Saturday and see what they have in stock.

My wife, who is also quite petite, has the Joe Rocket Cleo (also available from NewEnough). It fits her small frame quite nicely... Cycle Gear usually has the jacket in stock, and in fact is where we bought it.

However I have yet to find a pair of riding pants for her. With an inseem of just 24" (25 max.), there just aren't many options (none that have fit anyways). We've been looking at youth Moto Cross gear, but the styles are not working for her...

My wife is also on the small side and we found a Cortech Flex jacket that is awesome. Not only is it a true 4 season convertible jacket, but it was only around $130. It has CE armor in it and also has a waterproof liner and a thermal liner. Oh yeah, and the shell zips off as well making it a mesh summer jacket. Trust me, they are worth a look. We found them at D&S Kawi/Honda a couple of months ago and tried them on there.

Back