• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Powdercoat Removal in Austin

kurt

Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Kurt
Last Name
Brown
Anyone have any idea where in Austin to take a set of crash bars to have powder coating stripped off? After two hours with a scraper and paint remover, I have one side 90% done. The remaining crooks and crannies will be a problem. Surely someone can dip them in something really environmentally unfriendly to strip them clean. :mrgreen:

In the end, I want to prime and paint them for easier touch up.

Aircraft paint stripper? You can get it at Home Depot. Just don't get it on your skin! It burns! I used it to strip the rims on Beth's VFR 800. Apply, let sit for a few minutes and the wipe off.

I used this.
IMG_1330_zpsquz4ajy1.jpg

Here is the progress so far. The scuff on the original finish is visible on the left bar.
IMG_1333_zpsfo8okmly.jpg

Comparison of the two MSDS sheets shows the paint stripper to be the same thing as aircraft stripper.

I went to Commercial Service Co. on Avenue N a couple years ago to get some parts powder coated. I also had them strip some parts i didn't wanted coated. Not sure how much it cost individually, but i remember everything i got done was a lot cheaper than i expected.

They're in North Austin, but i think there's another powder coating place right in Cedar Park. You could run it by them. It's probably cheaper than you'd expect for a couple bars like that. Well, if you get a basic color. I bet you'd come out of there under $40 which is a good deal compared to stripper + paint + your time stripping and painting. Plus the finish would be more durable.

Thanks, Moekazi. I'll check it out. The only thing I have against powder coating is the inability to easily repair in the event of another tip-over. Had these bars been painted, I'd just touch them up with a rattle can.

Kurt, the quickest way is a quick sandblast using a media that does not generate lots of heat. Garnet is great for removing powdercoat which is what we use in our powder shop blast room.

Some of the other medias generate too much heat and make the powder coat gummy and harder to blast off.

I have my cabinet down at the moment as I am rearranging the garage but I can take it to the shop next week and do it for you if you want.

Go grab an inexpensive small cabinet at one of the discount tool stores I will give you some garnet to get the job done. and there is no telling how many projects you will end up doing

I don't have the space for a cabinet, but would be happy to let you blast them. How can I get them to you?

I will be coming through Austin later in the week, and will take them to the shop and knock them out.

I am not sure I still have your phone number shoot me a PM with it and I will call when coming through

Back