• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

If I bought a tire changer...

kurt

Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Kurt
Last Name
Brown
Let's say I bought a No-Mar tire changer for my garage. Would there be any interest in a "toll" system locally to help defray the costs? Say $10-$15 per set (wheels off) to mount and balance until the machine was paid for? Just a thought.

Hmmm....yeah. I might be interested. :ponder:

The dealers charge 45-60 per wheel and I always order my tires online. It would be nice to be able to ship them somewhere directly, then run down and swap the tires.

we have the hf tire changer with the motorcycle clamp attachment. We normally use tire irons with the clamps and are failrly gentle on rims, and under $100 total to boot, with new decent irons...we usually charge friends a case of beer to mount tires for them.

however, would consider a better quality machine on a shared basis, if it was close.

Howard

Kurt lives on the north side of Georgetown, spends time working in Austin, but tries to hide his location since he hasn't switched bikes in a few months...
:mrgreen:

I would change a set or three with you a year

You keeping bikes long enough to need new
tires now:rofl:

Just an FYI, any of you DFW area guys feel free to hit me up for a tire change. I've got it down pretty good now. And all I really ask is that you bring some drinks (Arizona Green Tea) and then take any of my extra, old tires away with you. Mine is already paid for just by the savings of my tires alone.

TXmedic, if I were you I'd just get the HF unit and then fasten a rim clip to the bar that comes with it. Presto you now have a no mar tire changer. All that for around $120.

DFW_Warrior said:
Just an FYI, any of you DFW area guys feel free to hit me up for a tire change. I've got it down pretty good now. And all I really ask is that you bring some drinks (Arizona Green Tea) and then take any of my extra, old tires away with you. Mine is already paid for just by the savings of my tires alone.

TXmedic, if I were you I'd just get the HF unit and then fasten a rim clip to the bar that comes with it. Presto you now have a no mar tire changer. All that for around $120.
I have the HF and just got the sleeves in the floor??? rim clip ??? pic???
Thanks
Steve

Cruzintexas said:
I have the HF and just got the sleeves in the floor??? rim clip ??? pic???
Thanks
Steve

I've gotta thank Plane Dr for this link. He is the one that found it. http://www.pbase.com/fredharmon/tirechange

Also you can look here of our discussion on Tire Changers. http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11126

You can get the rim clips at any Cycle Gear, and you will also need one dual ended tire iron to make life easy. The one with the offset curved end, and the other end is pretty straight with a bent tip. This can also be bought at Cycle Gear.

Yes TxMedic I would be thrilled to pay a toll of $15-$20 for a tire change. I need new tires around Christmas. Can you have it by then? ;)

Gilk51 said:
since he hasn't switched bikes in a few months...
Thats it! I knew something was wrong, just couldn't quite identify what was out of balance.

DFW_Warrior said:
Just an FYI, any of you DFW area guys feel free to hit me up for a tire change. I've got it down pretty good now.

Where are you located? I have to change out my wife's front tire soon.

We are located out in Canton, an hour east of Dallas, at the Shinysideup Motorcycle Rescue Ranch, home of the free range motorcycle rescue and recovery operation.

We take old abused bikes and nurse them back to health.

Howard

txmedic said:
Let's say I bought a No-Mar tire changer for my garage. Would there be any interest in a "toll" system locally to help defray the costs? Say $10-$15 per set (wheels off) to mount and balance until the machine was paid for? Just a thought.

I'd be interested, but I'd also need to pay you to help me use it, as I haven't ever changed my own tires, and I don't have the supporting tools either such as tire irons. I am prepared to take the wheels off and bring them to your house. I'm going to need new tires within the next 2000 miles, I think.

Just as a comparison, does anyone know how much Cycle Gear charges to change tires?

Their price depends if you bought the tire from them or not... I believe it's $30 for a mount/balance if you dont buy from them.

Firstman I am up your way. I have the HF unit and am getting pretty good. We could get together one afternoon or evening and do a tire. My schedule get's way better in November as well.

I usually do a static balance.

Talk to you this weekend.

I have a Coats manual changer and balancer too, over in Plano.

Back