• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

New to board, Dallas area

Grrl

Reaction score
Howdy all.. got the link to this board from CF.com. Name is Cass, I've been riding for almost 3 years, but only from the front seat since January. Found a steal of a deal on an '00 SV650, and she's been a good bike for me thus far. I had her out to the track at TWS a couple weeks ago (LSTD). :eek: I wanna do it again!!!!! My BF rides as well, though he's currently out of riding form due to a wreck at TWS 5/11. Bike is totalled, his shoulder is screwed back together and healing. He's planning on a VFR though, and will likely be impressed by the number of VFR owners I've noticed on here. Lessee, what else in here... I live in Plano.. have only ridden to the north and NE of here, due to lack of time for decent rides :(

At any rate.. nice little site ya got here, think I'll cruise around a while :)

Howdy,

:tab Welcome to the site! We have quite a few members in the DFW area. VFR riders too ;-) I'm jealous that you have already been able to do a track day hehe. I've been wanting to do one for years and just never can seem to get the planets to align just right for me to be able to go to one. Seems I always need new tires or something that requires having money thrown at it.

:tab The SV is a rocking bike! Beth (my wife) had a 2001 SV650S and I stole it from her every chance I got. It was such fun on the back roads. I wish we could have kept it so I could have made a track bike out of it. But we could not afford to maintain and insure that many bikes :-( I need to win the Lotto.

:tab I hope the BF's injuries heal quickly so he can get back in the saddle soon. Being able to ride with the S.O. is great! I really enjoy going out when it is just the two of us. There is just something about sharing that experience that really builds another bond between us. I feel sorry for all the guys out there whose wife or GF won't ride at all.

:tab Anyway, thanks for stopping in. I look forward to seeing both of you on one of our future rides!

Heya Cass, welcome! Good to see another Metroplex rider on the boards. Sorry to hear about your BF and I hope he heals up quick. He certainly can't go wrong with a VFR IMHO. :-D

Tiss me ... the BF with the broken collar bone. TWS claimed my Gixxer 750 in turn 1 when I errored and let my ego get ahead of my riding abilities. As a result, I'm now planning to tone it down a couple of notches on the street and decided to find something comfy that I can do some distance riding on ... aka the VFR. I'll hopefully have one in the stable roughly around the time I'm able to ride again ... shooting for early July right now.

Looking foward to meeting up and riding with some of ya'll!

Howdy RC,

:tab Welcome to the site. Bummer about the collar bone. Did they do the surgery to pin it, or are they going to wait and see if it will heal on its own? They made my Dad wait, then after a few months of not healing, the did the surgery the day before Christmas! But it got better much faster after the surgery. He was wishing they had just done that from the start.

:tab So you want a VFR eh? New or used? What year? When you get the bike, be sure to check here for upcoming rides/trips. We are going to do a TWT Rally in Arkansas in mid Sept. If you've never been there, the roads are great!

Tourmeister said:
Howdy RC,

:tab Welcome to the site. Bummer about the collar bone. Did they do the surgery to pin it, or are they going to wait and see if it will heal on its own? They made my Dad wait, then after a few months of not healing, the did the surgery the day before Christmas! But it got better much faster after the surgery. He was wishing they had just done that from the start.

:tab So you want a VFR eh? New or used? What year? When you get the bike, be sure to check here for upcoming rides/trips. We are going to do a TWT Rally in Arkansas in mid Sept. If you've never been there, the roads are great!

We did the surgery pretty much right away. I went in about a week after the wreck and got a 6" plate and 8 screws. It feels MUCH better now with the plate than it did with the splint, but every day is a new one. I should get the stitches out on the 9th, and start rehabing it then. I'm hoping to be up and riding by the end of July.

I'm looking for new VFRs ... either '02 or '03. I really like the new look, and they've been getting good reviews based on what I'm looking for. The Gixxer is/was a great bike, but it really needs to be on the track to really see its potential. I bought the Gixxer back from the insurance company, so she will ride again, but my intent is too keep her on the track and find something that will be more comfy for some of the longer rides I've been looking forward to doing. The VFR seems to be an excellent fit for handling and comfort, and the v4 also works as a nice compromise in my inline 4 versus v-twin debate. I'm in love with the silver 03, but we'll have to see how pricing works out. Worst case, I get a red 02 and I'll still be tickled.

I think you'll like the comfort and long distance capabilities of the VFR. It's no Wing mind you, but the compromise between comfort and sportiness is perfect as far as I'm concerned. I recently road to the Big Bend area on mine, doing 500 mile days with no problem at all. I was tired at the end, obviously, but no appreciable soreness or anything like that. It was great on the slab AND in the twisties. Couldn't ask for more. Haven't ridden a current one but I can only imagine they've been getting better since '96.

V-4 has soul, baby. Makes the hair on my arms stand up sometimes. :-)

Soul?

V-4 has soul, baby. Makes the hair on my arms stand up sometimes.

Funny... the VFRs are constantly lambasted for being souless and without character :? I never have understood such nonsense! :shrug: Riding a Duc leaves me wanting the VFR everytime :mrgreen: Oh well, to each his own, that is what is so great about having so many bikes to choose from! :dude:

Re: Soul?

Tourmeister said:
V-4 has soul, baby. Makes the hair on my arms stand up sometimes.

Funny... the VFRs are constantly lambasted for being souless and without character :? I never have understood such nonsense! :shrug: Riding a Duc leaves me wanting the VFR everytime :mrgreen: Oh well, to each his own, that is what is so great about having so many bikes to choose from! :dude:

No CHARACTER?!?!? Hmmmm Well, I dunno about a VFR with a stock exhaust cause I've never heard one that way but mine, through the TBR.....mmmm goose bumbs everytime.

Back