TWT Forums  

Go Back   TWT Forums > General Discussion > General Bike Maintenance and Assistance

Notices

Forum Jump

Old 07-15-2017, 12:23 AM   #21
prhaussies

Re: Stripped Pinch Bolt

This has been very interesting. A lot of solutions that are great ideas and most of them work. I see that a different method solved the problem.
I have to go back to the Emarquez solution. First because he removed the load on the threads. Drill out the head. Second, by removing the head, taking the load off, left us with a countersunk shaft of the offending bolt. No need for a center punch, your left handed drill bit will pull that rascal out in a heartbeat.
A left hand drill bit set is an essential toll to have. RH

Last edited by prhaussies; 07-15-2017 at 12:24 AM. Reason: tool not toll
prhaussies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 07:55 PM   #22
Crew Chief

Airplanes are devices that are intended to flumux mechanics with stuck fasteners. Mostly screws, but some bolts too. I used to tell my folks when they had trouble getting stuff loose to shoot it with some oil, let it sit, and go do something else. Those that followed the advice used a lot less drills, apex bits etc. These are folks that pull hundreds of weathered fasteners every inspection cycle. We didn't even get any of the good name brand penetrating oils. It doesn't always work and resorted to all of the other techniques when needed. It work often enough that penetrating oil is always the first thing I use. I will also let it sit if I can spare the time. Sometimes you don't have that luxury. I'm glad it worked out for you.
'95 Kawasaki Concours
'01 Kawasaki KLR 650
'82 Yamaha XJ650R Seca
'74 Kawasaki H1 500

"Try not to become a man of success but rather to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein
Crew Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 11:12 AM   #23
RWhitehouse

You can also make the world's best penetrating oil at home for next to nothing. Just mix a 50/50 blend of cheap ATF and acetone. If you really want to go nuts, get one of those sure-shot resuseable sprayers.

There's been numerous tests done (when I found out about this in college, it was in a collegiate engineering journal), and every time the ATF/Acetone mix comes out on top, requiring less torque to remove than other sprays for a small fraction of the cost.
RWhitehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 11:34 AM   #24
humanrace

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWhitehouse View Post
You can also make the world's best penetrating oil at home for next to nothing. Just mix a 50/50 blend of cheap ATF and acetone. If you really want to go nuts, get one of those sure-shot resuseable sprayers.

There's been numerous tests done (when I found out about this in college, it was in a collegiate engineering journal), and every time the ATF/Acetone mix comes out on top, requiring less torque to remove than other sprays for a small fraction of the cost.
I second this. ATF/Acetone, wait, shock by tapping with a hammer, left hand drill.
"For that day a large wisdom came to me. There was a great light, and I saw clear, and I knew that it was not for money that a man must live, but for a happiness that no man can give, or buy, or sell, and that is beyond all value of all money in the world." Sitka Charlie, Eskimo.
humanrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 08:32 PM   #25
Crew Chief

I like the ATF/Acetone concoction too, although in practice I tend to grab whatever is handy.
'95 Kawasaki Concours
'01 Kawasaki KLR 650
'82 Yamaha XJ650R Seca
'74 Kawasaki H1 500

"Try not to become a man of success but rather to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein
Crew Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 11:54 PM   #26
viffer07

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVgod View Post
Success. Hit it with PB Blaster twice a day for four days. Hammered in a torx and loosened with a breaker bar. I was ready to still strain and barely get it loose on the first turn. In actually came out easily. Obviously the penetrating oil was the trick. I probably could have loosened it without pounding the torx in so far. Hard to know at this point. The important thing is that it worked!

Thanks to all of you for all your input.
the exhaust bolts on a DR350 that i just bought were frozen in the head. sprayed cable lube on them for three days and each day i would tap them with a light hammer. on the fourth day, I put the allen wrench in and they just went "pop" and out they came. yeah soak them, tap them,patience and pray.
viffer07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 01:36 PM   #27
jetdr21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
I like the ATF/Acetone concoction too, although in practice I tend to grab whatever is handy.
Something very similar is marketed under the name AEROKROIL.. Works like magic on stuck hardware..

For All of you Mechanic's and Self doer’s out there.
Penetrating Oil - interesting
This was in one of the Military Vehicle Club newsletters

Here is an interesting finding on Penetrating Oils
Recently “Machinist Workshop Magazine” did a test on penetrating oils. Using nuts and
bolts that they ‘scientifically rusted’ to a uniform degree by soaking in salt water, they then
tested the break-out torque required to loosen the nuts. They treated the nuts with a variety
of penetrants and measured the torque required to loosen them.
This is what they came up with:
Nothing: 516 lbs
WD-40: 238 lbs;
PB Blaster: 214 lbs;
Liquid Wrench: 127 lbs,
Kano Kroil: 106 lbs
(ATF)/Acetone mix (50/50): 50 lbs.

This last “shop brew” of 50% automatic transmission fluid and 50% acetone appears to beat
out the commercially prepared products costing far more.

NOTE: I can't personally vouch for the results, 'cause I haven't read the magazine or tried it yet.

Last edited by jetdr21; 07-24-2017 at 01:43 PM.
jetdr21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 09:37 AM   #28
mitchntx
Forum Supporter

A little operating experience ...

I too attempted to seat a torx bit into a rounded socket head.
One of the lug bolts on my GS.

I tapped the T50 into the lug, put on a standard 3/8 drive ratchet with a 6" expension for my knuckles to clear and snap ... broke the torx bit. One end was on the ratchet and the other was no stuck in the lug bolt.

It was a 1 piece, cast tool I had picked up at HF or NT.

I think the failure mechanism was both metallurgy and age.

Being 1 piece case, the weak point was the necked down section.
And this tool had been in my box for years and years.
Sometime we forget that tools do wear.

Last edited by mitchntx; 07-25-2017 at 09:39 AM.
mitchntx is offline   Reply With Quote