• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Bandit 1250 vs SuperDuke 1290

Reaction score
Just took the new and improved, butterfly-less, FI Tuned Bandit out for a rip. Upon pulling up to a secenic view point near Red Rocks National Park, just outside of Vegas, I happened to see my dream bike (Super Duke 1290R). I talked to it's owner briefly about how I admired the angles and often wondered about the feeling of riding one. He then smuggly offered to leave my bike in the dust as I watch him get smaller and smaller in front of me... I just smiled and said "no thanks" and continued on my Sunday stroll.

When I got home, I sat on the oval throne and perused articles on my handheld research device pertaining to the real world power specs of the KTM SuperDukeR. To my amazement, I did not see much difference at all in the total HP, and absolutely identical torque values available at different rpm intervals. I thought it might be interesting to pass this little story along and also see what some of you think about the Duke. KTM Sduke only makes 152hp on dyno. Yet, the confident yuppie on the KTM claimed 198hp...

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/2014/02/article/2014-ktm-1290-super-duke-r-review/

Attachments

• 14_ktm_1290superduke.jpg
    14_ktm_1290superduke.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 624
Last edited:
This kinda made me happy as well. Because these were my 3 dream bikes, for a couple years now. I'm proud of my inexpensive Bandit now, and dont think I have the craving to waste good money on machines that wont outperform mine. And the Bandit is something I can work on myself, without spending a grand on something like a fuel pump assembly.

...would still love to hear that V4 sound the Tuono lovingly plays though :)

Attachments

• 2014-Ultimate-Streetfighter-Smackdown-Finale-HP-Torque-Dyno.jpg
    2014-Ultimate-Streetfighter-Smackdown-Finale-HP-Torque-Dyno.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 1,243
Last edited:
The beauty of the 1250 especially once you take the emission junk off (and go at least Stage 2) is that she pulls off idle and after 4k SCREAMS! Sure she's not street bike power wise up top but a TON of power all over the RPM range for a "standard" aka cheap insurance bike! Have 56k miles on her now and you can't pry her from my hands! Should I win the lotto I'll still keep it and just buy more bikes! :rider:

Both of em will tote the mail for sure. Couple big differences though, V twin has a unique character that some appreciate. Bandit will be easier on maintenance and cost of ownership. KTM though...cornering ABS, and MTC after owning on my 1290SA I would no more consider owning a bike without it than I'd buy a bike with drum brakes.

I like my Bandit but it really isn't in the same league. the KTM is 100lbs lighter has a better frame, way better power to weight ratio, better brakes, better suspension. your getting what you pay for.

Plus everything we do to the Bandit you can do to the Duke.
The only thing I would miss is the fairing
Is it worth the 13,996 there asking maybe if you ride that hard.
Now if your gonna dream big, the Monster 1200r come to visit me in my sleep.

Last edited:
I like my Bandit but it really isn't in the same league. the KTM is 100lbs lighter has a better frame, way better power to weight ratio, better brakes, better suspension. your getting what you pay for.

Plus everything we do to the Bandit you can do to the Duke.
The only thing I would miss is the fairing
Is it worth the 13,996 there asking maybe if you ride that hard.
Now if your gonna dream big, the Monster 1200r come to visit me in my sleep.

Have you ever ridden a Super Duke before? I would like to test one, none available right now.

Have you ever ridden a Super Duke before? I would like to test one, none available right now.

No I try to avoid toys out of my pay grade. I might not look at my bike the same if I did.
I have rode fast bikes without fairings and it gets old real fast.

Last edited:
No I try to avoid toys out of my pay grade. I might not look at my bike the same if I did.
THIS! I'd just gotten my DRZ400SM and was at a track day. A guy offered to let me ride his worked over KTM. I said "No thanks, I just got this one and I'm not ready to hate it yet." :mrgreen:

Two laps later he blew past me on the outside. Sigh. :rider:

I agree with skiman: apples to oranges. KTM will outperform the bandit in every category except cost of maintenance and reliability. SuperDuke 1290R is rated at 127kw, or 170hp from factory.

Keep thinking about the $10,000 you are saving. What do you think it costs to set the Valves on the KTM? And the Bandit is happy digesting Regular Unleaded fuel.
I was reading on my ZX14 site about Premium fuels. One comment from a supposedly Semi-Fuel Delivery driver, caught my attention. He said..he had filled the Regular fuel Storage tank, but had no Premium on board. he walked into the Station and told them the bad news. The owner said to fill the Premium tank with Regular fuel! I wonder how often that happens in small towns? Glad the Bandit uses Regular.

Back