• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Aaron Klein *thrill-billy* from Tyler TX

thrill-billy85

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Hey y'all. I'm back after a little hiatus. I'd sold my bikes, bought an old k5 blazer, and moved to Georgetown for work. I absolutely hated it. I'm originally from that area, but its certainly not at all how I left it 10 years ago. I had no garage to work on and tinker with the bikes I no longer owned... To top it all off, I was immersed in so of the best adv. riding in the state. (Famous cow creek road was 5 miles away from where I lived)

Long story short, I went to work in the oil field, moved back to east Texas, which surprisingly is one of the only places I've been happy living once I graduated highschool. I noticed the bottom was about to fall out if the Texas oil boom, so I went back to doing air traffic control at Tyler. Life is good. I've now got a 1200' shop that's all mine, and a basket case KLX300 on the mend. There will be a thread on it shortly.

Sorry I totally jacked up the title.

Hey y'all. I'm back after a little hiatus. I'd sold my bikes, bought an old k5 blazer, and moved to Georgetown for work. I absolutely hated it. I'm originally from that area, but its certainly not at all how I left it 10 years ago. I had no garage to work on and tinker with the bikes I no longer owned... To top it all off, I was immersed in so of the best adv. riding in the state. (Famous cow creek road was 5 miles away from where I lived)

Long story short, I went to work in the oil field, moved back to east Texas, which surprisingly is one of the only places I've been happy living once I graduated highschool. I noticed the bottom was about to fall out if the Texas oil boom, so I went back to doing air traffic control at Tyler. Life is good. I've now got a 1200' shop that's all mine, and a basket case KLX300 on the mend. There will be a thread on it shortly.

Sorry I totally jacked up the title.

Howdy from Thorndale, Billy! :sun:

Ohh cool, we used to ride at this place in milano. Lots of good trails, if you're into that sorta thing.

I could not live without my shop. It is also 1200 sq ft. 30x40 with a 24 ' lean to .

30x40 here too, but I'm a car guy just getting into bikes. Looking forward to that basket case mend thread and more like it.

Hey JMZ, your location says 'gun town'... Would a guy guessing that's Gun Barrel
City, be correct?

No , Gonzales . I assume its been called that for the Come and Take it Cannon :shrug:

Hey JMZ, your location says 'gun town'... Would a guy guessing that's Gun Barrel
City, be correct?
Gun Barrel...?? My6 and I stay at the Gun Barrel Ritz Carlton occasionally while visiting family on the lake. [emoji12]
Welcome back thrill-billy85!

Had you said, "my friend/brother stay down the street from a high production meth lab" I'd have believed you. ;-)

Hahaha ...no doubt! Not a lot to choose from while waiting on the lake house guest quarters to be built...

Just do what everyone else on lake Palestine does, and buy a shed, fill it with craigslist mattresses, and graft it to another structure using tarps, old cabinet doors, stolen shingles, and spray foam insulation

Since we live in Houston, we're not that familiar with the area. The family lives on a cove on Cedar Creek Lake in a nice "hood"

All the lakes and surrounding communities are similar. At least cedar creek, and Palestine. In the 70s developers bought up a bunch of land to make retirement communities. The lots were normally 30x100', the right size for an RV. The restrictions placed on a lot of these POAs were loose, and weak, and pretty soon they (a lot of them) became trailer parks. Some of these were able to maintain some community accord, but a lot were not. These lots normally sell for about $1000 or there about. That being said, there are a lot of nice communities around the two mentioned lakes, and its a shame that certain areas are filled with the riff-raff they are

My wife and I have have considered buying a lake house on cedar creek lake, but the school district SUCKS

I can imagine. Their kid is grown so not an issue. Next time we go up to visit we're taking the bikes so we can ride around in the area.

The riding, especially county roads in Henderson, and VanZandt county is awesome. Lots of cool places to explore and visit. Texas freshwater hatchery, site of the 'Battle of the Neches', where chief Bowles and the last remaining Native Americans were massacred, and the rest driven into OK. The twisty, hill roads from Athens to Larue, etc.

There's not ALOT to see at the battle of the Neches site, but kind of a cool place to say you've been. They could do a lot more with it, and its kind of hard to find. Just google, "Tyler fish hatchery"... Its like, just east of that, and shares a property boundary. That's not to be confused with the TEXAS freshwater fish hatchery, which IS worth seeing, and taking a tour of. They've lots of aquariums, as well as a trolley ride around the hatch tanks. Lots of cool stuff you learn about it all too. The biggest alligator gar ever caught lives in an aquarium there. Pretty neat

Back