• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

New from Denton

Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Smith
I recently made a move to Denton with my girlfriend. My friends are in the process of teaching me to ride and, as of right now, I'm mostly here to learn and maybe get some advice along the way. Right now I'm looking for an inexpensive bike that IF I lay it over, won't break my heart or my bank.

:welcome: to the forum. There are plenty of folks here with lots of road experience (I am not one of them), they can show/tell you about plenty of roads. Hit the For Sale section - there's almost always a bike up for sale. Depends on what you're looking for.

I'm still trying to figure this forum out. The one for z cars was way easier, you just click on the problem you were having and everybody explains how to fix it...know anybody that wants to buy a 1987 Nissan 300zx fairlady?

Welcome and howdy, neighbor! I absolutely recommend taking the MSF rider course to get you started and get some good input on a motorcycle to buy. You'll learn a whole lot in two days!

Choosing a bike is tricky since you don't really know what kind of riding you like to do at first. At least, that's how it happened for me. Whatever you get first, you may find it isn't suited to your style as you find your ride preference. Head to a dealer and sit on all the bikes you can! Smaller and lighter is always a good choice for starters but you can dream as big as you like :-D

Thanks for the info. I have grown up around bikes, learned how to work on bikes by one of the best, and know I'm comfortable on some sport bikes. I'm buying a cheap 250 chinese bike today to learn on, that way if I drop it, it won't bother me too much.

uploadfromtaptalk1444922636249.jpg

Sent from my SM-G386T1 using Tapatalk

Welcome to the site! :wave:

My advice is buy the best protective gear you can afford. The pavement is not a gentle or forgiving mistress ;-) Trust me... :zen:

It doesn't have to be the top of the line stuff. You can get decent gear nowadays without breaking the bank. Even a drop at a standstill can do more damage to you than you might think. We recently had a member experience a tip over where he was unable to get away from the bike and it pulled him down, whacking his head on the ground. Fortunately, he was wearing a helmet, but even then it still really rung his bell!

Tourmaster makes good gloves, jackets, pants, and boots at very reasonable prices.

HJC, ICON, and Shark all make good DOT approved helmets and you can usually find a decent one in the $150-250 range without too much trouble.

I like http://www.revzilla.com/ for shopping. They have great videos where they go through the features of the riding gear. They are super easy to deal with for returns. They don't ALWAYS have the lowest price, but more often than not they either do or are REAL close to the lowest.

As for riding advice, I REALLY think every rider should read Keith Code's stuff on the seven most common survival reactions when riding and why they are NOT the right thing to do. Then he goes on to explain what you should do and why. He presents it in his book Twist of the Wrist Vol II.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0965045021"]A Twist of the Wrist Vol. 2: The Basics of High-Performance Motorcycle Riding: Keith Code, Doug Chandler: 9780965045025: Amazon.com: Books[/ame]

He is a former racer, BUT the stuff in the book directly applies to riding on the street, even at legal speeds. It has saved my bacon on numerous occasions!

Welcome and congrats on the new bike. If that Z car was an original 240Z, I'd be all over it. Then again, I probably wouldn't be able to afford it.

Tourmaster speaks the truth. Buy protective gear - helmet, riding jacket, riding pants. If you watch the sales at bikebandit.com, motorcyclegear.com, motorcyclesuperstore.com, you can always find deals. There are frequently closeouts going on. Nobody ever walked away from an accident or lay-down wishing they'd been wearing less gear. Plus, if you have full coverage on your bike and are in an accident, the insurance will replace your gear for free in most cases.

Well, now that I know where I can find the gear. Does anyone know where I can find a head gasket for a Yingang YG3R 250?

I know nothing about the bike or dealership network, if any. There is an online store called cheapcycleparts.com. You might check their website and see if they can help. Good luck.

I've heard of a forum called ChinaRiders (I think) - might find some help there.

I've tried getting on there, nobody replies.

Back