• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

NW Arkansas Spring Rides

Thank you so much for posting this! I have been to Arkansas on the street bike and loved it. Now that I have the wr250r I am looking forward to doing some dual sport in the forests. After dealing with dirt for two years or so, I have realized that what I enjoy the most is scenic rides in pretty places, much more so than the challenge of technical terrain. Perhaps if I were younger and more experienced I would enjoy sand, mud, rock gardens and the like - as it is, I much much prefer a leisure ride in the forest with a low difficulty level that I can manage well to anything that makes me drop the bike a bunch of times! I am sure I can find this type of riding in Arkansas... there is so much out there! Any guidance is welcome - would want to do the Ouachita Mountains first, as they are a bit closer, but the northwestern area is fine too.
Come on up and I will take you on some incredible Arkansas dirt and gravel county roads and forest roads!

Guaranteed fun and a good way to get dual sport experience!

Btw I ride a WR250R too!

Last edited:
I did not realize you were in Omaha. I've been through there a few times. Not exactly a sprawling metropolis :-P But your tag line under your name is right, that area is motorcycling paradise! :rider:
Scott, actually its thanks to you that I now live up here. It was your TWT Arkansas rally that I attended in the fall of 2006 in Eureka Springs that convinced me.

In fact, during that rally we rode 21 up to 86 to 14 to Omaha and right by where I now live.

On that ride I said to myself "wouldn't it be great to live on this road so I could ride it all the time?"

When we came to look at the house we bought I stopped on 14 and said "**** I've ridden right by here before!"

Scott, actually its thanks to you that I now live up here. It was your TWT Arkansas rally that I attended in the fall of 2006 in Eureka Springs that convinced me.

In fact, during that rally we rode 21 up to 86 to 14 to Omaha and right by where I now live.

On that ride I said to myself "wouldn't it be great to live on this road so I could ride it all the time?"

When we came to look at the house we bought I stopped on 14 and said "**** I've ridden right by here before!"

Awesome! :lol2:

Come on up and I will take you on some incredible Arkansas dirt and gravel county roads and forest roads!

Guaranteed fun and a good way to get dual sport experience!

Btw I ride a WR250R too!

Mike, awesome, and so kind of you! Out of the all scenic places around Texas (New Mexico, Colorado, BigBend, Arkansas) Western Arkansas is the closest! :clap: I will take you up on your invitation - I am prepping the bike and should be ready Feb, although March is probably a better month, weather wise. I will PM you when my bike is ready and we can talk about details. I'd probably trailer from Dallas to save tires and energy, then find a basecamp and ride around it, or do a loop. Your advice an company are much appreciated!

Hi Joe
Guess it shows we are just getting our oars in the water with holding events on the property. So until we do in fact get that registration link put up...please consider yourselves registered!

Hey Scott! Might you be heading to Arkansas too? Looks like good all around fun for everyone.

:tab I just floated the idea by Beth this evening and she was definitely warm to it. I still have to clear it at work though. My Dad mentioned taking a week off some time in April, so it might conflict with his plans. We can't both be gone at the same time.

:tab I don't know that we'd be camping though. We might try it a night or so, but that can be a major ordeal with the kids. But, they like camping... so... :shrug: My problem is that I simply cannot sleep on the ground. Regardless of pads or cots, I will spend the entire night in pain and sleepless. It doesn't take long for that to get old. Maybe I could try a hammock :ponder:

:tab I also have to figure out how to get all the bikes, gear, luggage, etc,.. up there. I also need to do maintenance on all five (maybe six) of the bikes I'd be bringing. It would be fun to bring the GS as well so I can take Sarah and Daniel on some rides in the area.

My wife's family is in Bella Vista so I trailer my bike up there and ride. I've got a number of routes that are awesome. It's hard to find a bad road. The biggest issue with NW is getting outside of the traffic. The area has grown so much and the infrastructure just isn't up for the population growth.
But once you get East of Beaver Lake things get really nice.

I plan to trailer up in March. No idea where I'll go, just see where the road takes me.

:tab I just floated the idea by Beth this evening and she was definitely warm to it. I still have to clear it at work though. My Dad mentioned taking a week off some time in April, so it might conflict with his plans. We can't both be gone at the same time.

:tab I don't know that we'd be camping though. We might try it a night or so, but that can be a major ordeal with the kids. But, they like camping... so... :shrug: My problem is that I simply cannot sleep on the ground. Regardless of pads or cots, I will spend the entire night in pain and sleepless. It doesn't take long for that to get old. Maybe I could try a hammock :ponder:

:tab I also have to figure out how to get all the bikes, gear, luggage, etc,.. up there. I also need to do maintenance on all five (maybe six) of the bikes I'd be bringing. It would be fun to bring the GS as well so I can take Sarah and Daniel on some rides in the area.

It sounds like there are a few hotel, cabin, B&B options in the area. Hope you can make it up or I'll see you at the next ride you do in the Huntsville area. A large toy hauler could accommodate the gang and toys. But then add that to the maintenance list: eek2:

There are lots of lodging options, including bunk houses, cabins, b and bs, private homes and either simple or luxurious hotels. We have a few links up at www.wildernessrider.com. look on the bottom portion of the Moto Gras or the Chase the Bunny pages. I think most of these links are close to the Hillbilly ride too.

Mike, awesome, and so kind of you! Out of the all scenic places around Texas (New Mexico, Colorado, BigBend, Arkansas) Western Arkansas is the closest! :clap: I will take you up on your invitation - I am prepping the bike and should be ready Feb, although March is probably a better month, weather wise. I will PM you when my bike is ready and we can talk about details. I'd probably trailer from Dallas to save tires and energy, then find a basecamp and ride around it, or do a loop. Your advice an company are much appreciated!

Actually the end of March or April is better to ride up here because remember that north of Dallas its still winter in a lot of places!!

Two years ago we had an inch of snow on May 1st!

April is a very good month because its just starting to get green about the
second week or so and you can still see all these magnificent vistas here.

And you can count on it to be warmer but not hot.

So much good riding up here!

My wife's family is in Bella Vista so I trailer my bike up there and ride. I've got a number of routes that are awesome. It's hard to find a bad road. The biggest issue with NW is getting outside of the traffic. The area has grown so much and the infrastructure just isn't up for the population growth.
But once you get East of Beaver Lake things get really nice.

I plan to trailer up in March. No idea where I'll go, just see where the road takes me.

Come to the Harrison or Eureka Springs area. I guarantee you can be outside of the traffic within five minutes of either one of them and be in spectacular riding!

Back