• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

TARA DFW North Jackring Run Report

Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Simmons
I wasn' able to attend this last Sunday. Looks like the guys the did had a great time. I plan to do this ride sometime in the near future.

Rich

Ride Report for the Jackring Run...230 miles.

Well people didnt show because they thought it was going to rain and be miserable the whole day. Well they couldnt be farther from the truth. And the truth is we didnt see any rain. Infact up until the last hour of the ride, the roads were not even wet.

The day started about 8:30 that morning with a late show, so we ended up with a total of 4 riders. 3 experienced dirt riders and 1 guy to new motorcycling. Not a bad combination and some good experience for the new guy. The start of the day was cloudy, but no rain, some fog in the beginning and some mist in the air but we remained dry.

The route takes you west all the way to Jacksboro, mostly back paved roads with some gravel areas thrown in. Not a bad route and will be even better in the spring. We were detoured by a bridge that was out of service, but not far. just about a mile back we took another bridge and continued on the journey.

Upon entering Jacksboro we made a quick pit stop at a gas station on the north side of town along the route, this gave us a chance to get off the bikes, hit the bathroom and grab a drink...and not necessarily in that order.

Now we start the journey north to Nocona Tx which is about 90 miles and it took about 3 hours to make that run. The dirt started just outside of Jacksboro and continued for about 80 percent of the ride North. We found a cow that had partially jumped a barb wire fence and was caught straddling the top wire. We stopped at a nearby house and had them call someone for assistance...so we did our good deed for the day.

We spotted a hawk dive down and grab a snake from the side of the road, which was surprising because we didnt think snakes would be out this time of year. And I had a drag race with a coyote that ran across a field along side of me only to cross right in front and continue running across the field on the other side of the road... so it would appear there is a variety of wildlife along this route.

The road is gravel, mostly hard packed with loose stuff along the way. The new guy had a lesson learned and dumped his bike in the gravel...KEEP YOUR SPEED UP and STAY AWAY FROM THE SIDES OF THE ROAD... OOPS!!

No injuries except for pride...

Now when your ride takes you across HWY 82, keep in mind that this is an Open Pasture county. The route takes you thru a couple of fields, these are marked with a cattle guard gate. The road is a county road, I had to call the sheriffs office to verify it. So Travis and I came up on a heard of cattle in the road.. they all turned to look at me, as if I had food...but were confused because I didnt have any hay bales on the back of my bike...weird feeling when you have about 80 head of cattle pointing your way...but we drove right to them and they parted like the red sea...as long as you are on the road and you dont torment the cattle, or act stupid you should not have any issues. Be respectful of the cattle and where you are...very important.

The route also takes you right up next to the Red River.... but not down on the beach..just within view of it.

As you decend in to Nocona, you can stop and see the Horton Classic Car museum. This museum has one of every year corvette, starting in 1953, in which there is one of 300 of made here. There is also a variety of other classic rare hotrods here...worth the visit if you are a car guy. www.hortonclassiccarmuseum.com. After visiting the museum you can make a stop at DQ and have lunch, get gas and start your route south.

The route south is more pavement than gravel however it takes you thru some beautiful contryside. There are a couple of gas stops along the way if needed. As the route progresses, it drops you into Decatur and back to Boyd where you can pick up 114 back to Buckees for a CLEAN BATHROOM, gas and a cold drink...

The road was very wet from Boyd to Buckees..but it never rained on me. I got home in Irving dry but ready for a shower.

Hope to see you on the next ride. For if it is as fun as this one then we will have a great ride.

Chris

IMG_3547-XL.jpg

IMG_3555-XL.jpg

IMG_3566-XL.jpg

IMG_3575-XL.jpg

IMG_3579-XL.jpg

Shh, Rich! That area of Texas is like a secret, isn't it?

Luckily, ha ha, your pix truly did not do it justice! Lol

Wow! Looks like fun. Back in the day I had a friend that lived in Lake Bridgeport and we use to ride our XL125's all over those roads!......aww memories!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back