• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Who's ready for MOTOGP ?

I'm looking for a GA ticket for Saturday only if anyone is selling.

there's never a shortage of tickets. just walk up to the gate and get one- never buy in advance, unless it's a special deal like Ducati Island.

Now the problem with COTA is they didn't allow folks into many grandstands during practice days, so if you had a GA ticket or a ticket in another stand, you couldn't check out the views.

My preference is the turn one grandstand. Get the cheapest T1 seat, once you are up there you can sit in just about any priced seat there. Take your photos on the bridge during practice and enjoy the race in T1 grandstand on race day.

Then after the race on Sunday, get on the toll road and get the **** out of Austin (where you were gouged on the hotel bill). (Or head to the hill country and ride the Sisters on Monday.)

No, I won't go back. But I am little more interested since Vingales might beat MM (I am not a Marquez fan). Actually, I might consider attend the race if I weren't planning to go to Tom Petty on the 20th, the Ozark RAT Raid the following weekend and have a Guzzi campout in Kansas the week after that. (I have found ONE HOTEL that didn't gouge me- my secret. No, I am not a fan of Austin, too bad the track isn't in friendly San Antonio.)

Last edited:
I just ordered GA ticket. Will come in mail 10-14 days. Free M/C parking. I have had grandstand tickets, but prefer the grassy knolls near turn 12. No monitors on GA is only draw back, for me. Be sure to take a folding stool for GA. Start and finish main grandstand was not far me :yawn:

just walk up to the gate and get one- never buy in advance

In years past, buying early also got you free motorcycle parking. Not sure if that applies this year, though..

Wish I were going. Found out work is going to have me out of town that weekend. At least I'll be flying back in time to watch it, just won't be able to go and see it live.

How does one attend this and when is it?

MotoAmerica Superbike Dunlop Tire Test is open to the public for free.

March 28/29 for 2017. Last year I parked at the main parking lot in front of the main straight.

Go to the tunnel at the far right of the stands and sign a waiver. Enter the paddock thru the tunnel.

Be aware this is a MotoAmerica Superbike test NOT MotoGP!

This is a true testing day. No announcers, no concession stands, etc... but you can sit anywhere in the stands and peek in the garages. :clap:

Last edited:
MotoAmerica Superbike Dunlop Tire Test is open to the public for free.

March 28/29 for 2017. Last year I parked at the main parking lot in front of the main straight.

Go to the tunnel at the far right of the stands and sign a waiver. Enter the paddock thru the tunnel.

Be aware this is a MotoAmerica Superbike test NOT MotoGP!

This is a true testing day. No announcers, no concession stands, etc... but you can sit anywhere in the stands and peek in the garages. :clap:

Awesome. Thanks for the info!

In years past, buying early also got you free motorcycle parking. Not sure if that applies this year, though..

You get free parking when you buy your tickets at the ticket office. Then take your parking pass and ride your bike to the parking lot closest to entrance of your choice. I like the cheapest seat at T1 best. Parking is mostly open there too.

why would you buy a ticket in advance given that there's a chance you won't make it and the cost and availability is the same? This ain't the Indy 500.

Last edited:
Noob here. (I haven't been following any racing, and have never been to CoTA, but I like motorcycles.) I'm ready for MotoGP, and I have questions.

What happens on each day (Fri/Sat/Sun)?

Extra credit: if you could only go one day, which and why?

Always a love hate for me..
The first year I was a pure spectator on industry passes, High $ comped seats, Pit pass, VIP tent the whole deal.
The next few years i have worked the venue so while entry, parking, pit pass is free Im leading demo ride morning to even and only get to see most of Friday laps, spinets of Saturday and Sunday practice and qual laps and then the full GP race itself..hence love hate, love the price and the access I get (lines, what is a line? and ya, I have a pass to go there, excuse me please..) I miss a lot of the lead up to the GP race itself.

Noob here. (I haven't been following any racing, and have never been to CoTA, but I like motorcycles.) I'm ready for MotoGP, and I have questions.

Friday is practice sessions for all classes. Saturday is practice early and qualifying in the afternoon. Sunday is race day, with a warm up practice in the morning. This is from memory. I think MotoAmerica is racing with them again this year, so there may be a MA superbike race on Saturday. I'll look for a schedule and post it up.

Edit: Found it - http://www.circuitoftheamericas.com/2017-motogp/schedule

Last edited:

Friday and Sat are practice, then qualifying. Nothing "matter" on Friday, then by the end of Saturday, you'll have two rounds of qualifying and also a practice where placement actually matters - so there's "racing the clock" but not racing other riders on the course. Sunday is warmup and then the race.

There are three classes of bikes: 250cc, 600cc, 1000cc - and they all go through that same routine. So there's pretty steady action on all three days.

So, if seeing racing is important, go Sunday. If just seeing the bikes go insanely fast is all you care about, Saturday is smaller crowds and actually faster lap times (super-soft tires for the pole-setting lap).

Just do General Admission - you can walk around a huge percentage of the track to get views of the different turns, straights, etc.

Some other info. Friday and Saturday are great to get photos, scope out the track and consider where you want to view the race and take in all the vendors and infield displays. There are also some groups among brands like Honda, Yamaha and Ducati Island. MA runs races on Saturday as well as Sunday.

I would definitely go at least on Saturday to take all of it in. Friday too, if you're committed.

The downside to all of this is that track doesn't allow folks to bring in food and drinks like every other road course in the country. So not only is it expensive but you don't get the enjoyment of picnicking and tailgating with family and friends. Considering the expanse and size of the track and the amount of walking, this can really wear you out. There are also few spots to take photos due to fences (and they've blocked most of the available views from the pedestrian bridges). The place is not run like any other racetrack in that regard.

Last edited:
I'll be heading down either Thursday evening or very early on Friday, if anyone wants to ride down from DFW together.

I came across this:

http://www.circuitoftheamericas.com/storm

..had no idea COTA took a good hit w/ the weather.
This must have occurred last yr or more.

Went out there a couple days ago. No damage to be seen.
Only damage is my eardrums
almost getting blown out from these fire breathing monsters flying by at 200mph. :lol2::mrgreen:
20170329_152402_008.jpg

They were out testing tires. Open to the public viewing; walk anywhere, sit anywhere, real nice and relaxed.

20170329_152233_002.jpg

Chris, if I could only go one day, I would go on Friday. There is very little crowd, the racers are more accessible. Plus you can walk around the motoamerica pits and see all the AMA guys. But raceday is fun, so is qualifying. Last year Diana almost got knocked into Rossi on his scooter, close one. People act crazy around them, I am a little more cautious than I used to be.

20160408_094057.jpg

20160408_1044213.jpg

20160408_1825462.jpg

20160410_0924561.jpg

Had to add this one....2005 at Motorsport Ranch Cresson, first year in AMA Superbike 2nd place I think.

P1011236.jpg

Last edited:
OK - just got my GA tickets today. I'll be there all day Saturday and probably all day Sunday. I usually walk around from turns 5 to 10. Someone oughta organize a TWT GA meetup spot or something...

I haven't gotten my tickets yet, but will and they will be GA. We'll figure out how to meet up out there.

I'm going to ride junction but will head back early for Sunday's races. Will get a GA ticket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Went the first year and sat on 15 all weekend, this year I am GA cause I wanted to move around a bit, and only going on Sunday Thinking over by turn 1 and by the esses turn 9. Have the video pass too so will watch it again when I get home..lol Should be awesome and I hope for a different winner this year.

Went the first year and sat on 15 all weekend, this year I am GA cause I wanted to move around a bit, and only going on Sunday Thinking over by turn 1 and by the esses turn 9. Have the video pass too so will watch it again when I get home..lol Should be awesome and I hope for a different winner this year.

Bring a mini chair.

Back