• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Mitas E-07 Dakar 50/50 tires

Reaction score
First Name
Brian
I have decided to shed the 80/20 street tires (about 2200miles now) from the 17' wee and have chosen the Mitas E-07 50/50 tires (seem like a sensible design for both). So I see that the Dakar is a different tire and better built (?) From the standard e07. What is the difference. I guess this has already been discussed somewhere but I lam lazy and will once again use the collective wisdom bot of TWT for research. Is it worth the additional cost. Will the dakar tread last longer?
Any coments?

s-l640.jpg

Not 100% but I think the side walls are thicker/heaver. Makes them a bit harder to mount, especially if you are using hand tools.

Dakar is a beefier tire, stiffer sidewalls (more plies) and tread lasts longer. Not sure if from different compound, more rubber or reduced heat from stiff sidewalls. In any case it's worth the only slightly higher cost. Tire is as close to flat proof and run flat as you'll find for a motorcycle. Take a Heindenau K60, give it better off road performance, better wet road performance, cheaper price and similar treadlife = E-07 Dakar

Same tire sizes as your Strom but on a heavier/more hp Tenere, I get an average of 12k miles for rear and 19k for the front.

http://www.mitas-moto.com/international/products/motorcycle-trail-tyres/e-07/

_

If your look for something that will last a while do real good on the paved road maintained gravel and some what good in the deep sand, heavy gravel and mud than get the E-07 i have right at 6200 miles on mine there right at 50%, and they do good if you keep them under 80 MPH after that they start to wonder.
I used ride-on to balance them which has been a year ago now, the back does fine front feels like an egg till it gets warmed up, but they did that from new. To me they are superb on the road as for as grip rain does not pose no ill effects ether i think you will like them but to me i would not bother with the Dakar's they are all ready hard to install by hand as they are plenty stiff you need to lay them out in the sun to warm and that helps.

Aaron

... i would not bother with the Dakar's they are all ready hard to install by hand as they are plenty stiff you need to lay them out in the sun to warm and that helps.

Technique..technique..technique. Mitas's are not a tire to try and force on. I've installed about 10-12 Dakars by hand, one or two even on a cold day. If one is going on hard, I stop and regroup as something is not being done optimally. Tire temp makes it easier but technique and proper lube is what gets the job done.

_

Technique..technique..technique. Mitas's are not a tire to try and force on. I've installed about 10-12 Dakars by hand, one or two even on a cold day. If one is going on hard, I stop and regroup as something is not being done optimally. Tire temp makes it easier but technique and proper lube is what gets the job done.

_

would a Dakar be a 1 beer are 2 beer installation

Aaron

Get back with us after you mount some. You'll know then . LOL

would a Dakar be a 1 beer are 2 beer installation

Aaron
6 pack. But then it takes me 2 beers just to open the garage door and one more to put the bike up on lift. I don't enjoy wrenching, only do it to save money and ensure the job is done correctly.

_

Pulled the trigger on Amazon for the Dakar pair $293 with my $11 discount. Will mount myself. How do i balance? Harbor freight balancer??

Didn’t balance mine and never felt that I should have. Changed the front (non Dakar) at about 12K and the rear (Dakar) still has two or three thousand to go. First time I have had a rear tire outlast the front.

Didn’t balance mine and never felt that I should have. Changed the front (non Dakar) at about 12K and the rear (Dakar) still has two or three thousand to go. First time I have had a rear tire outlast the front.

Ok, no experience with big bike tires so wasn't sure, will see how it goes.

Ok, no experience with big bike tires so wasn't sure, will see how it goes.
I've started using rideon for balancing and leak prevention. I'm not real sensitive to balance issues but it seems to do ok for that. I've only been using it a few months but I haven't suffered any flats in that time. I've heard many good things about it from people who have a longer history with it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Last edited:
My experience in recent years has been that if my rim is balanced, I almost never need to balance once the tire is installed. I guess manufacturing techniques and quality have finally reached the point where tires are mostly balanced from the factory :shrug:

Most tire manufacturers mark the light spot on the tire. (red dot) Line that up with the heavy spot on the rim and then balance the tire. Shouldn't need much if any weight to balance.

100k miles on the Tenere and I've never balanced a tire. When OEM tires were changed I removed all the factory balance weights from the rims, front and back. Been using Ride-On since instead. Probably could go without it but if I ever would need to roll up to triple digit speed for avoidance I feel better knowing I'm not going to get surprised by a balance shake. Plus might help in a rare instance of a thorn from causing a leak or flat. Approx 80K miles of Mitas Dakars front and back and not a single flat. Prior to Mitas I ran Shinko 804/805's on the Strom and Tenere. Best I ever did was one flat (rope plug) on the rear, a couple tires with two plugs and one with three sticky rope plugs before retiring the tire. YRMV

_

Most tire manufacturers mark the light spot on the tire. (red dot) Line that up with the heavy spot on the rim and then balance the tire. Shouldn't need much if any weight to balance.
Yep.... I found out about the falsehood of lining up the dot with valve stem years ago.
A letter from a Bridgestone rep verified to line up the tires dot (light spot) with heavy spot on rim...(not necessarily same spot as valve stem)

$...MAN...that $300 price on the new E07 Mitas set makes me happy with the $140 I paid yesterday for a like new set!

Sent from my LGL62VL using Tapatalk

Yep.... I found out about the falsehood of lining up the dot with valve stem years ago.
A letter from a Bridgestone rep verified to line up the tires dot (light spot) with heavy spot on rim...(not necessarily same spot as valve stem)

$...MAN...that $300 price on the new E07 Mitas set makes me happy with the $140 I paid yesterday for a like new set!

Sent from my LGL62VL using Tapatalk

If they perform as silverbullet describes, it will be worth every penny.

My experience in recent years has been that if my rim is balanced, I almost never need to balance once the tire is installed. I guess manufacturing techniques and quality have finally reached the point where tires are mostly balanced from the factory :shrug:
I also believe this.

Jmz...speaking o getting some g warming. Should get the new tires this week. Ups says delay due to weather. How can I warm these new tires to mount them to install ?. For that matter, removal. Was thinking about a short hanging in front of the propane heater...
Freezing my belly pan down here.❄️

I would just put them in the house for a day. For me the trick is to use tire soap to dismount and mount.

I would just put them in the house for a day. For me the trick is to use tire soap to dismount and mount.

Yes, will give it a go. Will use food grade silicone grease which is what I have available. I was just reading this Rah, Rah report on these Dakar

https://oztoice.wordpress.com/about/the-gear/sponsors/mitas-e07-5050-dual-sport-tyres-my-new-staple/

Below, Food for thought, makes me go hum:ponder:

Got them delivered this evening and have noticed how the front and rear treads are opposing when when properly oriented with the same directional arrows .( Does this make sense?) Obviously I will Mount them as is Illustrated but I just wanted to show this photo as to demonstrate what I am talking about. Those are Post it notes showing the direction arrows at the bottom of the sidewalls being the same. You can see the Tread direction on the top of tires are opposed. The front tire is on top of pic

Attachments

• 20180212_201023.jpg
    20180212_201023.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 1,019
Increased pic brightness, hopefully can see better

20180212_202234.jpg

Last edited:
Get to changing them. Ain't doing you know good on the floor. Lol

Back