• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Simple! Stebel Magnum TM80 Horn Install

Reaction score
:sun: This was so simple even I was amazed! Shared it over on the other board so this may look familiar.

Wanted a "louder" replacement horn and felt the popular Stebel Compact Nautilus would be too loud for Honolulu where using your horn is considered rude (yeah, but you do need one to protect yourself). Plus I was reading on some boards where the Nautilus needs to be level, they die prematurely, I would need to do more wiring with a relay and I was too lazy to do anymore wiring projects.

So I read on the ST-1300 board where a rider used a single Stebel Magnum TM80 as a replacement for the stock horn, louder but not going to blast your eardrums out. No need for a relay since its only one horn and at $12.95 (+ $7.00 shipping) for a black one from hornsplusauto.com (usual disclaimer, no relation to vendor) I figured what did I have to lose? Heck, guys on EzBay wanted $49.95 or so for a single Fiamm sport horn 500 Mhz the same frequency that I was looking for in the Stebel Magnum?

Horn arrived quickly and tonight I removed the stock horn and tried to see if the stout looking Magnum might fit in the same location - no such luck, too fat for the space. So I thought it might fit under the left side fairing where the other guys have mounted their Stebel Nautilus? Fits with no problem and I even used the stock horn bracket by flattening the 90 degree folded tab on the end that holds it in position in the stock mounting location.

To mount onto the frame into the threaded bolt hole I used a allen head bolt I had laying around that was removed from somewhere else on the bike when I installed something or other. Attached the Magnum onto the stock bracket using the same hole as the stocker using the same rubber washer mount and the nut that comes with the Stebel.

Clipped apart the leads on the stock horn wiring since the terminals on the Magnum are wider apart and even though there is little slack to the stock wiring you can plug the leads onto the horn before you bolt it all in place. Turned the bars full left lock to test clearance, no problems. Tooted in the garage to be sure the wiring was connected and nothing caught on fire (course not). Louder than stock, not that "meep-meep", but of course it ain't no air horn and that's not what I was looking for. More of a "toot" sound.

OK for what it costs. Oh, yeah, since I'm lazy I like to install stuff without having to remove any plastic.

(Photo 1 - Mounted on the stock horn bracket, see that small 90 degree tab on the far right? Just flatten out with pliers.)
(Photo 2 - View under the fairing from the front fender area, plenty of room for the horn.)
(Photo 3 - View from the top of the fairing, you can see how the stock horn bracket is turned slightly to give the forks clearance, this is why you need to flatten that little 90 degree tab otherwise it locks the bracket into positon on the frame tube.)

Aloha,
Huladog

Attachments

• 409.JPG
    409.JPG
    40 KB · Views: 345
  • 414.JPG
    414.JPG
    51.5 KB · Views: 230
  • 415.JPG
    415.JPG
    47.3 KB · Views: 236
:clap: Nice work. Is it considerably louder than stock? I too don't want a freight train horn on my bike.

You get the Hi or Low tone?

.... Fiamm sport horn 500 Mhz the same frequency that I was looking for in the Stebel Magnum?

Holy Cow!:eek2:

Well, maybe with that horn you can interrupt mobile phone transmissions. If nothing else, you can heat up your pie with it. :-P

:clap: Nice work. Is it considerably louder than stock? I too don't want a freight train horn on my bike.

You get the Hi or Low tone?

Just the Hi tone. You could get both and they probably would fit under the fairing with one on each side, but then you get into needing a relay, etc. Not difficult but just more work.

Not much louder than stock, but I think the "tone" helps give you some presence. On my FZ-1 and Softail I had swapped out the weak stocker with a Wolo Horn from Checker Auto, just as cheap, just about the same sound.

Holy Cow!:eek2:

Well, maybe with that horn you can interrupt mobile phone transmissions. If nothing else, you can heat up your pie with it. :-P

Ooops ..... Hz not MHz! That would be cool if I could send out death rays, huh?:sun:

Aloha,
Huladog

C'mon, y'all, you're missing half of the fun! I may install a second Stebel Nautilus on my bike this summer! :eek2:

Little Red Riding Hood: "But Grandmother, your horn is so loud."

Big Bad Bandit, er, Wolf: "The better to let the cagers know I'm on the road, my dear."

Mounted mine on the hole behind the one you did and pointed it forward to miss the steering. Not impressed with the mount, I used the stock rubber grommet and it's not real stable IMO. I got the "low" tone and it sounds like a typical american car horn. Simple install and sure seems a tab louder than stock.

Back