• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Coolant ?

Reaction score
I posted this on another forum have not got anyone to respone yet. So here it is for you'all. Thanks.

I have an 07 1250sa.
Pulled it out of its winter storage for its bi-monthly start and run, just to keep everything circulated while it waits for spring.
Noticed a small amount of coolant pooled underneath while it was running. Had some other things to do that day. So I parked it back till I could get a chance to look at it today. Pulled the small side plate off the right side and noticed a tiny amount of coolant around the top hose. So I got my socket out and put it on the clamp head it turned out to be loose as a goose. Snugged it up started it up, no leak. I guess I may have lost less then a quarter cup of coolant. I checked the overflow it probably had about 2/3 in it. I am thinking the tank comes off to get to the cap. Don't really want to do that, unless necessary. What do you think?

in the class 8 truck business that is known as a cold water leak. we get busy when it first turns cold tightening clamps.

better safe than sorry, it likely drew in coolant from the catch tank but it doesn't always happen when there is a leak.

Motorcycles have less coolant, but 1/4 cup isn't too bad to lose. I'd run it and maybe take a look at the reservoir every once in a while. You could probably mark the tank if you were particular about it to see if any fluid gets sucked back into the system. I suggest marking it, because you otherwise won't be able to tell for such a small amount of fluid.

The tank does have to come off to get to the cap. It's not terribly difficult or time consuming job. If you think you're going to worry about it, just take off the tank and check it. It'll probably take less time than you'll spend asking for advice about the leak.

As long as there is coolant in the recovery bottle, its fine. If the fan is coming on and it is not overheating, its fine.

Back