• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Red River Motorcycle Trails, Muenster, TX 11.11.16

Goyko

Reaction score
Anybody up for a ride this Friday? I'm planning leaving Sachse around 7-8am on Friday, 11.11.16. I'm gonna be on my F800GS, drive up to Red River Motorcycle Trails in Muenster. And then spend the good portion of the day riding in there.

please dont take this wrong but thats not the best place for that bike .trails get pretty tough quickly be safe hope you find a pal or 2 to go .:rider:

please dont take this wrong but thats not the best place for that bike .trails get pretty tough quickly be safe hope you find a pal or 2 to go .:rider:

No worries, appreciate the input. But please, you don't take this the wrong way too. In the right set of hands not just you can get the GS over there, but I would probably be able to take R1 if I put knobies on it.

Don't take this wrong either but ive raced there many times and you cant have much fun there on a GS. They had the last man standing race there for a reason its not for 500 pound street bikes.

Don't take this wrong either but ive raced there many times and you cant have much fun there on a GS. They had the last man standing race there for a reason its not for 500 pound street bikes.

I was there this weekend. Met a lot nice people. Drove for 2 hours non stop. It was challenging, but fun. I' would of have more fun on a dirt bike, bike I don't have one now. So GS did the job.

RRMT has a plethora of options, many suitable for an 800 GS (albeit at a slower pace than, say, a KTM 350 XCF). However, if the OP was able to navigate Costa Rica or Bill's Woods on the BMW, then there's probably a spot at Erzberg waiting for you!

I took my '09 Multistrada to Big Bend a few weeks ago and it performed well on Old Maverick, River, and Terlingua Ranch roads. Sure, a 17" front wheel has its challenges in sand and loose rock, but momentum and a rear weight bias helps plow through the tricky stuff. So a GS with a 19" wire wheel should do okay at RRMT's less technical sections.

Just watch out for oncoming traffic; that's the most dangerous aspect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RRMT has a plethora of options, many suitable for an 800 GS (albeit at a slower pace than, say, a KTM 350 XCF). However, if the OP was able to navigate Costa Rica or Bill's Woods on the BMW, then there's probably a spot at Erzberg waiting for you!

I took my '09 Multistrada to Big Bend a few weeks ago and it performed well on Old Maverick, River, and Terlingua Ranch roads. Sure, a 17" front wheel has its challenges in sand and loose rock, but momentum and a rear weight bias helps plow through the tricky stuff. So a GS with a 19" wire wheel should do okay at RRMT's less technical sections.

Just watch out for oncoming traffic; that's the most dangerous aspect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got a 21" front wheel

Depends on where you go there if you ask me. Last time I did the enduro there (many moons) there was a guy that camped next to us that pulled in with a 4 door Honda with a KLR650 on the trailer. Not newer style one, but still pretty wide and heavy bike. Younger kid in his mid 20's He was a few rows behind me at the start. We did some gnarly trail and I managed to wedge my 450 between two trees. No way around that. The trail had a crooked root on it that threw the back wheel over as you were going between the trees that were less than handle bar wide. The trail was across the highway. I had to stand on the seat, jump off to unstick it. The guy behind me was way unhappy, but didn't get off his bike to help. I looked back as I took off to see him do the same thing (Karma). Anyway. The dude next to us finished. This included the Bills Woods loop!

It can be done. Long legs, good tires, and lots of throttle in the sand would help. RR is a fun place. My wife loves Bills woods. She has yet to make it the whole way, but we have come dang close.

Bill's Woods and especially the back part after the gate (Madagascar) are pretty much fubar'd and impassable. TORN/OCCRA haven't run it in 2 years supposedly due to the soggy last 2 years. If it wasn't for them and their marking and maintenance a couple years ago, it wouldn't have been rideable then. As a single track guy, this was the only area for me I felt safe (not to get run over by a SxS).

For single track, I go to BMRA, LakeDraper and SW500.
I'm a member of all 3. They are all one-way, marked and maintained.
RRMT (privately run) can't begin to sniff what those 3 parks have going on.

jb

Bill's Woods and especially the back part after the gate (Madagascar) are pretty much fubar'd and impassable. TORN/OCCRA haven't run it in 2 years supposedly due to the soggy last 2 years. If it wasn't for them and their marking and maintenance a couple years ago, it wouldn't have been rideable then. As a single track guy, this was the only area for me I felt safe (not to get run over by a SxS).

Bill's woods isn't even close to impassable, unless it's gotten much worse in the last few months. Haven't heard of Lake Draper or SW500, will have to look them up.

Bill's woods isn't even close to impassable........
Well there you have it. A difference in opinion.

I invite you to invest the $25 entrance fee and ride the ENTIRE west side known as Bill's Woods and ALL of Madagascar. No shortcuts or skipping sections.
I wait here for your silver platter serving of crow.

jb

Last edited:
Well there you have it. A difference in opinion.

I invite you to invest the $25 entrance fee and ride the ENTIRE west side known as Bill's Woods and ALL of Madagascar. No shortcuts or skipping sections.
I wait here for your silver platter serving of crow.

jb
Has it changed a lot in the last couple of months? Cause I rode it this summer more than once, unless some of it has been bypassed. I wouldn't want to have a race through it, but I wouldn't hesitate to ride it.

With that said, I've been dirt biking since 5 with about a 10 year gap where I didn't have a dirt bike. I rode Bills Woods on a KDX80 back in the 80's (I don't know if I rode it on the Z50 or not, but we did ride the park), but we just called it the West Side. I may not be the fastest or most extreme guy around, but I do have a little practice, and it is more or less where I learned to ride.

...I wait here for your silver platter serving of crow.

Well you'll be waiting for YOUR serving of crow, but I doubt if Justin will offer delivery service. He won't brag himself but he is a prime example of the 95% rider, 5% bike saying.

He joined a beach ride with us riding a street bike with street tires. That ride forced a KTM 950 with knobbies to turn around after 1 mile and abandon the ride. And a XR650 rider was crying the entire ride due to the never ending deep sand.

Here's a video of him riding that same street bike with street tires at Crooked Creek. So just imagine him on a proper off road bike and you'll realize that "impassable" clearly won't apply to him.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAyVDb0-mMk"]Versys off road - dirt bike trails - YouTube[/ame]

_

Don't get your cockles up.
I never questioned anyones abilities on a m/c.
I simply was implying that section is impassable.
I've been there.
There are tons of people that say they ride/rode it.
Very few have rode the ENTIRE section.
Bragging on abilities is pointless.
When the trail no longer exists you'll need wings.

jb

Best to just rate the trails and move on. I have Richard's book on Big Bend and it has class 1,2, and 3 trails - higher number is more difficult. So it might say - trail A is 50% class 1 and 5% class 3 with the class 3 nearly impossible to traverse.

Don't get your cockles up.
I never questioned anyones abilities on a m/c.
I simply was implying that section is impassable.
I've been there.
There are tons of people that say they ride/rode it.
Very few have rode the ENTIRE section.
Bragging on abilities is pointless.
When the trail no longer exists you'll need wings.

jb
If the trail no longer exists, then it has been rerouted, because there is quite clearly a loop that runs all the way through which is passable, with a shortcut out about halfway? through. It may well no longer go where it used to, but that means it has been rerouted, not that it is impassable..

In the contest between Trail bs. Man, my money is on Mr. Queen. If the trail is passable by mortal man, Mr. Queen can probably make it look easy. He'll never win a beauty contest, but he will win most riding contests!

The trail no longer exists? You cant ride thru Bills woods anymore? Have not been there in ten years.

For single track, I go to BMRA, LakeDraper and SW500.
I'm a member of all 3. They are all one-way, marked and maintained.
RRMT (privately run) can't begin to sniff what those 3 parks have going on.

jb

I've run the whole thing. Many times. Not in the last 1 year though. Erosion happens with rain and trails need maintenance. Those trails really don't get much maintenance. Only for the Occasional event. The owner kicked the majority of the Red River trail Riders out of there that used to put on the Enduro there. Something got sideways between them and they don't ride there any more. They did a lot of maintenance all over the place, not just bills woods. The RRTR used to mark 3 solid loops. One being bills woods. It was always a fun event. The markings have been cleaned up and the re-routed last time I was there. Folks tend to ride it as it marked. That lets the trail deteriorate, especially the unused trail. One of the hare scramble groups took out a nice section of trail that dropped into a creek because it would have caused a bottle neck for the race. Likely not because its impassable. They never took down the tape there and everyone rides around it. It gets erosion and overgrown which makes it much more difficult. Trail direction needs to be reversed and re-trimmed it, not just rerouted in my opinion. Up the fence line first and back around to the creek with the entrance.

Love Barnwell and the single track. So does my wife. Cheaper than RRMT per year and per ride. 15 bucks for me and the wife. Its closer for me. Just no riding during the week days. :thumbd: Even with an appointment. I'd like to be a member at both, but I can only choose one these days. Shame as my In-laws live just south of Gainsville so I can ride pretty easy if we stay the night.

Lake Draper is near OKC. Where is SW500? Stillwater 500? I've not ridden there in a long time. Was fun though. Its like 4.5 hrs away from the metroplex though.

Back