• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Baja California?

Reaction score
Or, to be phonetically correct, ˈbaxa kaliˈfornja. :sun:

Planning to head west from Austin in mid-ish February: Leave the US south of Yuma, crossing at San Luis Rio Colorado. Hit the high points during a generally unhurried tour, including Ensenada, Mike's Sky Rancho, CoCo's Corner, La Paz, Cabo, etc. Intend to ride the peninsula both south and north (for now, not thinking of ferry to the mainland), and meet my wife in Phoenix on the return trip, for a two-up ride home.

Riding a 1200GS so not limited to pavement.

Anyone going my way for the Baja leg?

Last edited:
Sounds like a great plan. Remember if you do hit the mainland from the La Paz ferry you will need additional paperwork.

The Sea of Cortez side is more remote and La Paz is a real gem of a town. There are some nice AirBnBs there too.

man I am super jealous!!! this trip is on my list (and has been for quite some time). Until that day comes I'll have to live vicariously through you & MotoGeo

Definitely a trip that's on my list, I'm also in Austin. Too many things going on to get away next month though.

Out of curiosity how much time are you planning for the trip?

Sounds like a great plan. Remember if you do hit the mainland from the La Paz ferry you will need additional paperwork...

True but if he's short on time coming back and forced to, he could take the Santa Rosalia ferry to Guaymas. That is free zone to free zone so should be "no hassle" and no TVIP. Just ensure you head north when you get off ferry as the hassle free zone ends about 15 kms south of Guaymas.

no-hassles-02.jpg

_

Definitely a trip that's on my list, I'm also in Austin. Too many things going on to get away next month though.

Out of curiosity how much time are you planning for the trip?

¿Cuánto tiempo - quien sabe? El tiempo que requiera.

I don't like tight schedules...:lol2:

¿Cuánto tiempo - quien sabe? El tiempo que requiera.

I don't like tight schedules...:lol2:

Me gusta tu estilio.

Unfortunately, I have 9 years and 5 months until time isn't an issue. Have a great safe trip.

Cheers... Jeff

Me gusta tu estilio.

Unfortunately, I have 9 years and 5 months until time isn't an issue. Have a great safe trip.

Cheers... Jeff

Jeff - thank you. Retirement has its privileges...

Rather than just the flippant answer, I think two weeks would be OK for Austin to Cabo and back. More or less. Maybe. As a data point, three of us rode to the canal and back a year ago, twice as far as Cabo, and we spent a month doing it. Here's the video report: https://vimeo.com/160844261

Hope we cross paths.

Mike

I did the Baja Run from Rviiera last April. Two weeks iiis doable. I was on the road twenty days but that included four days in Big Bend.:rider:

Back