• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Battle of the Bulge

Wow! That's better than I've been doing. Sorry you had to get sick to make that happen. But if you are better now, all is good.

I am better now, thanks. I lost my appetite for 6 weeks and lost 35 lbs. As I started feeling better, I started gaining the weight back. That was when I decided to start Weight Watchers to stop that and continue to lose. It was easier NOT to overeat when I wasn't hungry. :trust: Now its starting to be a battle. I've been working out too. Planning on walking some today.

Any updates? I've continued to lose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tell us more details. How much you weigh now. How much did you weigh?

Me - well I've been RVing across Texas for a while and have not had access to a scale. BUT, I'm not looking forward to my next weigh in.

I had been doing the 5/2 diet and have done success with that. It's much easier to stick to a routine while home based. When on vacation, it's about food and drink most places we go. To fast just was not feasible. I been practicing restraint and moderation. I have found that is much harder to do than fasting. So much good food to eat, so much good booze to drink. Time will tell how successful I have been.

"Total Nutrition" has a fancy scale that measures skeletal muscle mass, etc. it shows that I lost 25 lbs since last time I check in there (good), but if that 25 lbs, 1 pound if it was muscle. That is bad. So I've put more emphases on my protein intake and stepping up resistance exercises. Time will tell.

And oh, me and Mr. CPAP are still not friends. I think I should stop throwing it across the room in the middle of the night.

Ok. Here is the embarrassing details. In graph form.

606bcef3bd9b1ecbddafb54e93e410e1.jpg

If you assume my highest weight was 315, then I've lost 43 lbs. I think it was really a little more, but can't prove it.

Another graph

38ae870722c2b3d7180337bbb60bd803.jpg

This is from the day I started Weight Watchers on March 30. Sorry its sideways.

Tonight I calculated I should reach my goal weight of 190 lbs in 41 weeks. 190 might be too high still. I'll have to see when I get closer.

Last edited:
That is some impressive weight loss. Congratulations! Interesting how long you have been logging your weight.

When you say weight watchers. Are you into the entire program meetings and all or just following the diet? How restrictive is that and how do you maintain that while on trips.

Is 190 a realistic goal? My goal is also to be under 200 but as I recal from the few times we have met, you are taller than me. For my height, 5'9" I would look good at 190 but that may be too much for you. How tall are you?

Got home late last light and stepped on the scales. I was pleased to find that I had not gained any weight, but I remain at 248. I've been at this weight for a few weeks. Now that I'm home, I'm going to try and step up the program and see if I can get back to losing.

That is some impressive weight loss. Congratulations! Interesting how long you have been logging your weight.

When you say weight watchers. Are you into the entire program meetings and all or just following the diet? How restrictive is that and how do you maintain that while on trips.

Is 190 a realistic goal? My goal is also to be under 200 but as I recal from the few times we have met, you are taller than me. For my height, 5'9" I would look good at 190 but that may be too much for you. How tall are you?

Got home late last light and stepped on the scales. I was pleased to find that I had not gained any weight, but I remain at 248. I've been at this weight for a few weeks. Now that I'm home, I'm going to try and step up the program and see if I can get back to losing.

Well that is great news. Its really hard to stay on a healthy eating program when vacationing.

According to this site's calculator my ideal weight is anywhere from 161.2 to 177.2

My plan is to get below 200 and re-evaluate the goal at that time. So for now, 200 is the goal. I'm 6'.

I'm not going to weight watcher meetings. I just do the online program which essentially lets you use their app. Its cheaper and easier. However, a woman that works for me has lost over 100lbs on WW and has kept it off for 10 years now. So I have a ready resource to ask questions and get tips. The meetings sort of serve that purpose, but since I see her every week, the meetings are redundant.

The WW program is not restrictive at all. That's what is nice. You can eat ANYTHING you want. Everything has a point value and you only get so many points a day. But anything is an option. I get 50 points a day. You would get less (41 i think). A piece of chocolate cake is 25 points. So I could eat 2 pieces a day. I'd much rather eat something else that would fill me up, but its an option.

Fresh fruit and veggies are 0 points, so you can eat those until you're satisfied. So you end up eating healthier foods because you don't want to be starving. For me the program is working. But you're having success with what you're doing. Its working for you.

All the weight data came from my scale. My soon to be ex-wife gave me a Aria scale by Fitbit that automatically uploads the data to a website and to their app on your phone. So It kept track of that for me. She gave it to me in late July of 2013. A birthday present. Probably the best gift she ever gave me.

Last edited:
FAT MAN GETS A NEW BELT

2/6/2017 - 284 lbs
2/26/2017 - 275 lbs
3/3/2017 - 270 lbs
3/7/2017 - 265 lbs
3/17/2017 - 260 lbs
4/5/2017 - 255 lbs
4/13/2017 - 250 lbs
5/14/2017 - 245 lbs

It may have taken me a month to lose the last 5 ponds, but lost them I did!

My weight loss has finally necessitated a new belt. The last one was worn out and out of notches.
5a7a95deb15c706f3a0cb645775d69c1.jpg
cb2e649c617c8a074016d72bde07a68c.jpg
d113db58178ebd952999f23ae950902d.jpg

Bob, 1-2 lbs a week is the realistic healthy rate to lose weight. Plus you were vacationing during that time. 5 lbs is good. You didn't gain it that fast.

I too have been replacing belts. I've been punching holes in the old ones, but the "tail" becomes too long and difficult to tuck into belt loops at a certain stage.

My strategy on clothing is too donate the things that are too big. I've kept things that were too small and I'm wearing some of those now, but I'm getting rid of the things that are too large so I don't have an easy path to go if I gain weight back.

You are doing outstanding Bob. Five pounds a month is a rate that says your 'life style' has changed. That's the only way you'll stay healthy. Extra fat is a saving account to survive a famine. Some of our ancestors needed it to live through lean times. But it does strain the heart pumping blood through those extra thousands of miles of capillaries.

You have encouraged me to lose ten pounds in the last three months. I've changed my eating habits and gradually I'm lighter. But I don't think I'll ever see my ribs again.

You are doing outstanding Bob. Five pounds a month is a rate that says your 'life style' has changed. That's the only way you'll stay healthy. Extra fat is a saving account to survive a famine. Some of our ancestors needed it to live through lean times. But it does strain the heart pumping blood through those extra thousands of miles of capillaries.

You have encouraged me to lose ten pounds in the last three months. I've changed my eating habits and gradually I'm lighter. But I don't think I'll ever see my ribs again.

I don't think you need to see your ribs. I'll be happy if I can just see my toes.

You are doing well Bob, congratulations. I bet you have a matching sock for each of those in drawer :-P. I don't even match mine up no that I am retired.:lol2:

Any updates Bob?

I've continued to lose 1 or 2 lbs week. Setting in for the long haul to reach my goal.

Well....

I have to admit, I have falling off the wagon. I have not gained any, but I have not lost any either.

Thanks for the posts. I have now promoted to get back in the routine. I still have a long way to go and I can't get there without being vigilant.

Well....

I have to admit, I have falling off the wagon. I have not gained any, but I have not lost any either.

Thanks for the posts. I have now promoted to get back in the routine. I still have a long way to go and I can't get there without being vigilant.

Think of the tortoise Bob. Slow and steady wins the race... :deal:

Public accountability is what this post is all about. Us prodding you is just this thread working. :eek2:

Time to hit the weight room! Now that you have shed the initial weight, change things up by focusing on other performance metrics. Resistance training, especially free weights, burns calories, strengthens muscles & bones, and improves fluidity. Take it easy initially; you want to be a bit sore the day after a workout, but not incapacitated. You'll gain muscle mass and continue to shed fat by trading the scale for a notebook.

Time to hit the weight room! Now that you have shed the initial weight, change things up by focusing on other performance metrics. Resistance training, especially free weights, burns calories, strengthens muscles & bones, and improves fluidity. Take it easy initially; you want to be a bit sore the day after a workout, but not incapacitated. You'll gain muscle mass and continue to shed fat by trading the scale for a notebook.

All good ideas, but take it super easy at first. We seniors get hurt easier and heal slower. Plus we don't build muscle nearly as well as we did "back in the day."

What you're eating is super critical to weight loss. As they say, you can't outrun a fork! Or out walk one. Or out lift one. Even pro athletes watch what they eat.

I'm three score and ten. Building muscle mass, for me, is almost an impossibility. But the light free weight Body Pump class I suffer in three times a week has given me more endurance, a lighter step, and I TAKE LOWER STRENGTH Prescription drugs. I'll be totally winded several times during that hour. I also endure an hour of Body Combat two times a week. It's a cardio class that gets me cardio maxed many times during that hour. It's alway such a relief to walk out the door at the end of the session.

I haven't had a heart attack. Bob has. His choices are may be more limited.

Bob, what say you?

I'm three score and ten. Building muscle mass, for me, is almost an impossibility. But the light free weight Body Pump class I suffer in three times a week has given me more endurance, a lighter step, and I TAKE LOWER STRENGTH Prescription drugs. I'll be totally winded several times during that hour. I also endure an hour of Body Combat two times a week. It's a cardio class that gets me cardio maxed many times during that hour. It's alway such a relief to walk out the door at the end of the session.

Bob, what say you?

Exactly! Bob, check with your doctor BEFORE beginning any exercise program.

I think (I'm no expert) that resistance training for the seniors is designed to minimize strength loss. Building muscle is best done as an 18-30 year old.

Bob, what say you?

Bob don't do body combat.

Bob, you shouldn't. I'm usually the only male in a room of much younger woman in skimpy clothes doing mock fight moves. It's embarrassing, I'll admit.

Back