• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

New Member from Ft Hood area

Reaction score
First Name
Gregory
Last Name
Todd
I have been riding for almost 33 years, and have NEVER owned a strictly street bike. I enjoy off road riding as much as riding on the road. My first bike was a 1975 Suzuki TS125, which I paid $495 cash; in May 1977. 8 motorcycles later, I currently own a 2006 Suzuki DR650SE. All my motorcycles have been dual purpose/dual sport; except my 1972 TM400, 1977 RM370, and 1996 KDX200. The Kawasaki is my only non-Suzuki. I have been a member of the Ft Hood Dirt Riders' Club, which unfortunately died over a decade ago. Currently a member of the Central Texas Road Riders Assoc, but am looking for fellow dual sport riders and places to ride. I attended the AMA Dual Sport ride in Terlingua, but have been informed there are several dual sport events held in the Austin area, as well as Llano and Junction. Unfortunately, I have forgotten the names of the two gentlemen I met in Nolanville yesterday, 03 Apr; at Kay's Motorcycle Mania event. I remember the last name of one is Hill and the first name of the other is Clark. Since they were the ones that told me about this sight, perhaps they will add a comment to his thread. Currently my work prevents me from riding much, except on Sun and Mon. If there are any others in this area, interested in riding together, please let me know. Thanks. SSG (Ret) Greg Todd.

Attachments

• MeWithMyDR.jpg
    MeWithMyDR.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 296
Welcome to the site from a member of the "Dirty" side of the forum. I'm sure some of the DS folks will be along shortly.

Welcome to the site! :wave:

We have a HUGE dualsport population here on TWT. Some of them even venture out of the dualsport sections on occasion ;-) Keep an eye on that section as rides pop up all the time, sometimes on short notice too.

Welcome... I no longer ride DS, but started life in the TEXAS off road world at CTOR as well. (pricey, but really close.. rocky, but still fun until he closes off %50 or more for hunting season)

Just spent two days at Hidden Falls Adventure park, second time there, trails are fun, if not super challenging for an avid off road rider... nice enough place to play at every other month or so (so the trails naturally change between rides)

Cherokee park is another nice place, again, nothing super hard, but still fun to ride for a day, or camping weekend.

The riding area at hood is nothing to write home about, but is SUPER cheap.. and very close (I sometimes take one of my bikes to work and ride at lunch) I've been using this as my mid week testing ground,,, works better then riding on the 6 AC I have at the house and the neighbors like it better too.. :thumb:

I live in Kempner, work at Hood (OPS SGM at 2-5 CAV) give me a shout if ya need a hand.

Erik

Thanks to all that have replied so far. The DR is currently my only two wheeler; although I'd love to get one of the new RMX 450Zs. In addtion to the bikes I mentioned previously, I also owned a '78 TS185, '75 TS250, '82 SP500, and a '91 DR350S. Of all my previous bikes, I miss the RM370 the most.

Cherokee park is another nice place, again, nothing super hard, but still fun to ride for a day, or camping weekend.

Cherokee is no longer open.

Cherokee Cycle Park
Cherokee Cycle Park or CCP as it has become to be known is an area of trails in South Texas. Situated within a vast 11,000 acre estate there was approximately twenty six miles of trails that were available to be used. Due to legal matter Cherokee Cycle Park is no longer open for business, which is a great shame as before these legal matters the trails were open for a variety of users including all terrain vehicles (ATV), mountain bikes, horses and even remote controlled vehicles. The estate was well maintained before its closure with clear labeling of the trails showing who could use the different tracks. The difficulty of the trails was also clear to see by all users of the park.

Cherokee cycle park encouraged camping within the park and certain facilities were available. Additional amenities were available for hire, such as water hook ups, barbeque facilities and even vehicle and bike washing stations.

Prices for the park ranged from $10 – $20 for a day with children under 12 free, encouraging the use of the park by families.

Cherokee Cycle Park was shut on January 21st 2010 as it has been hit with a Force Majeure. This is a French phrase meaning superior force. This was in the form of relatives that wanted the land for their own use. It was thought by many that they wished to require the estate back so that they could realise the monetary worth of the park by selling it.

Well then,, that’s what I get for going to Iraq for a year and not paying attention to local riding areas.

Thanks for posting that... it was on my list of places we were going to go back to in the next few weeks.

Erik

Yep, that closure surprised a lot of folks. Crooked Creek in Waco and Hidden Falls out by Marble Falls are the only public areas around. CTOR is close to you (Salado), but is a member only place, but if you contact the owner he may let you ride once to check it out. Or sometimes the Torch group does a ride out there that is open to the public. I'll keep you posted if you want to join us sometime.

In fact, here is the tentative Torch ride schedule.

April Crooked Creek (Waco, TX) 4/17/2010
May Hidden Falls (Marble Falls, TX) Camp and Ride 5/21/2010 - 5/23/2010
June Arkansas Adventure Ride (Mena, AR) 6/13/2010 - 6/19/2010
June CTOR (Salado, TX) 6/19/2010
July TBD 7/10/2010
August Ride Clinic 8/14/2010
August Hidden Falls (Marble Falls, TX) 8/28/2010
September TBD 9/18/2010 - 9/19/2010
October RedRiver (Muenster, TX) - Camp & Ride 10/23/2010 - 10/24/2010
November Crooked Creek (Waco, TX) 11/27/2010
December TBD 12/11/2010 - 12/12/2010

Sorry about the thread hijack, but welcome to the site.

Welcome from a street rider only at this time (no off road machine in my herd now). And thanks for serving.

Welcome. Nice pic with Roger D. there; ya'll on a first name basis? :lol2: My wife caught him years ago outside a supercross. When she came to get me, all I could do is stand there with my jaw on the ground. :hail: Glad to see you kept your composure. Great Picture. :clap:
My wife and I have KTM D/S's, if you're in the Marble Falls or Junction area sometime, we will have to meet. Sam

Back