• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

!!!!!how 'bout A Bandit Lottery?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reaction score
HEY GUYS! what do you think about a bandit lottery? since there are now 7,000+ members, why don't we ask fo $2.00 bucks a "ticket" and when we reach an amount that would buy a spankin' new one, TOURMIESTER buys it and we draw for the bike? COME ON!!!!!!

and if I don't win, maybe if the winner already has one he/she would sell their old one cheap to someone like me who can't affford a bike just yet, LIKE ME!
:-D

oh yeah, only one ticket a piece

Sorry, but raffles are illegal here in TX. The idea has been mentioned before for smaller items, but it's just not worth the risk of having "the man" shutting down the site. :shrug:

Would that be a raffle or simply a bunch of people collecting money to buy some poor unfortunate rider a new scoot? I believe churches do that sort of thing all the time :trust:

Sorry, but raffles are illegal here in TX. The idea has been mentioned before for smaller items, but it's just not worth the risk of having "the man" shutting down the site. :shrug:
Are you sure? I see raffles for stuff all the time in TX. In fact there is a custom bike shop in Magnolia who raffled off one of their scoots this past Saturday.

Raffles in Texas: Know the Law
Monday, May 10, 2004

We have become aware of a proliferation of illegal raffle activity in Texas. It is important for Texans to be familiar with the law before conducting or participating in a raffle.

Examples of unlawful raffles include any raffle that is:

* conducted by an individual
* conducted by a for-profit business
* conducted by a charity that has no members or otherwise does not qualify

Texas law allows only certain charitable and non-profit membership organizations to conduct raffles to support their charitable causes. Only the following entities which meet certain qualifications are permitted to hold raffles:

* religious societies
* volunteer emergency medical service providers
* volunteer fire departments
* qualified non-profit organizations

In order to conduct a raffle legally, a non-profit organization must have, among other criteria, members who elect a governing body and an exemption from federal taxes under Section 501(c) of the Internal Revenue Code. A qualified non-profit must also have been in existence for three years. The law permits only two raffles per year, requires several disclosures printed on tickets, and limits the value of prizes purchased by the organization to $50,000.

It is also against the law to hold a raffle in which cash, or anything readily convertible to cash, is offered as a prize, or which is promoted statewide or through paid advertising, including television, radio or newspapers.

An unlawful raffle could be considered illegal gambling, which may carry criminal penalties. A county attorney, district attorney or the attorney general may also shut down an illegal raffle.

The Office of the Attorney General is prohibited by law from providing legal advice to individuals. If you contemplate conducting a raffle for fundraising purposes, you should read the Charitable Raffle Enabling Act (which went into effect January 1, 1990) carefully and consult a private attorney with any questions. You should also avoid participating in an illegal raffle. For more information, you can visit our Web site and read our online consumer protection brochure on charitable raffles.

Greg Abbott
Attorney General of Texas

All about the gubmint getting their share of something they don't deserve, from what it looks like.

Actually the raffle I saw this past Saturday was for a charity, some kind of disease research, but I'm sure the bike shop wasn't a "charitable organization." Perhaps the disease research place was. No clue here. I didn'y buy a ticket because I wouldn't even want a free butt jewelry chopper.

As for something like a bike or car, if someone were to pay the tax on it and/or claim the value of the vehicle as income, it should be legal. I would never call something done for charity "illegal gambling." But I don't make the rules.

I won't bore you guys to death with one of my anti government diatribes... :argh:

Back