• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

"Motorcycle Specific" traffic school?

Reaction score
I went by the Lewisville court clerk's office today about my ticket and getting set up for traffic school. She tells me I have to take a motorcycle specific traffic school.

I'm having a little trouble finding one that is approved. Does anyone have any suggestions around the DFW area or online?

Well, on the one hand, I don't see how it could be, since traffic school is supposed to involve a couple of torturous days in a classroom listening to anecdotes about traffic, and bad attempts at humor.

On the other hand, I called the school where I took the basic course and they said the advanced course will cover it. Actually, their website says the basic riders course will cover it, but let's see, $180 for two days or $75 for one day?
http://www.weridesafe.com/courses.asp

Somehow it just doesn't seem right. I mean, get a ticket on a bike, and take a riding course to get the ticket waived? What's next? Get a ticket in a car and you get to go to a behind the wheel driving school?

One of the guys in my basic MSF was taking the course for a traffic ticket given while he was in his car. Each court is different.

Sleepy Weasel said:
What's next? Get a ticket in a car and you get to go to a behind the wheel driving school?

Or just log onto the internet while you're at work, finish a set of quizzes and questions with some tutorial stuff, and be done with it.

I've never heard of a "cycle specific" driving safety school that is licensed by the Texas Education Agency (TEA). I think that clerk doesn't know what she is talking about.

I am a Driving Safety Instructor. We are licensed to teach the Driving Safety Course that is approved by the Texas State Education Agency (what people call "Defensive Driving class")

These... http://www.tea.state.tx.us/drive/drivecp.html

These are the classes people use for ticket dismissal. They are six hours long and cost about $25.

The TEA also regulates educational "schools" like truck driving schools and "driver's ed" for high-school kids. Those are located here...

http://www.tea.state.tx.us/drive/

I'm not aware of any cycle specific ones.

The judge may be trying to force you to take a Motorcycle Safety Foundation course. http://www.msf-usa.org Those are private. I don't think they are approved by the Texas Education Agency. They cost a lot. They are hard to get into.

I would take the cheaper, six-hour driving safety class, bring the clerk the certificate and say "yeah, it had lots of motorcycle stuff in it".

The MSF classes are pretty easy to get into here in Austin, I would imagine the DFW area is about the same. There are a couple of different outfits doing them here and one of them has two locations. I signed up and took it the next weekend. Some insurance companies will give you an insurance discount after completion of the class.

The Basic Course is $180 and in the one that I took was a Thursday night class, Saturday morning riding, Saturday afternoon class and Sunday morning riding and we were done.

The Experienced/Advanced Rider Course is $75 and 5 hours.

Just be sure to get a clarification on what type of class that the judge wants you to take. If you have already taken the BRC then take the ERC class one afternoon. That way you get some more out of it than you would with the DD class.

Here are some links:
Texas Department of Public Safety - Motorcycle Safety Unit

Motorcycle Safety Instruction holds classes at Flower Mound H.S.

Motorcycle Training Center holds classes in Plano and Richardson.

A ticket Jim?! Hmmmmmmmm.....what did you do? You get it with the new bike? lol

Mer said:
A ticket Jim?! Hmmmmmmmm.....what did you do? You get it with the new bike? lol

Yeah, but I could just as easily have gotten one on the V-Star. I tend to go a little fast on that stretch of road just because it's so familiar. :oops:

Anyway, I'm signed up to take the advanced rider course this coming Saturday.

Let me know how it goes. I was thinking of taking it this spring, or after summer.

Back