TWT Forums  

Go Back   TWT Forums > Texas Offroad Riders > Impending Dust Storms and Mud Baths

Notices

Forum Jump

Old 02-19-2016, 10:35 AM   #41
crchristo

Re: Interested in a no pavement Mexico trip?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayakkawakid View Post
Looks like Maybe a dam, and no i dont know anyone in that area sorry, u thinkin to trailer to del rio thurs then cross over friday make it to that resort and dam then sat jaboncillos and boquilas and close to mine maybe then sunday mornin tour da mine and head for da border then monday head back home ??
At one time, that area surrounding the dam was extensively logged and mined and I understand that there are miles and miles of old logging and mining trails around there. I have some of them in my GPS just in case we have the time and feel the urge to do some exploring in that area. Of course, I don't have any idea as to their condition but I guess that's why it's called exploring.

There's also some obvious trails out of Boquillos that can take us right up to the base of those massive cliffs. That might be a pretty cool diversion as well.

I've also been trying to find a way to ride to the top edge of those cliffs. I keep coming up about a mile short of the actual edge. It's hard to believe that there isn't a way. It would make for a spectacular view.
Old 02-19-2016, 11:03 AM   #42
JT
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by philipbarrett View Post
Start out Thursday 14th, back on Monday 18th?

Zeke, will we be able to help the local economy by buying food in the villages or do we need to pack in?
Bring everything you need, there are no supplies available. We bought gas in both Morelos and Jaboncillos in 2011. Now, neither sells gas. Check with Border Patrol before you assume you can cross at Boquillas and get gas. All gates into the reserves are locked, La Mula, Morelos, and Blas Rodriguez. The only way to get into the mountains is to request permission in advance.
2003 KLX400R tagged
2007 300XCW not tagged-yet
JT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 01:24 PM   #43
crchristo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT View Post
Bring everything you need, there are no supplies available. We bought gas in both Morelos and Jaboncillos in 2011. Now, neither sells gas. Check with Border Patrol before you assume you can cross at Boquillas and get gas. All gates into the reserves are locked, La Mula, Morelos, and Blas Rodriguez. The only way to get into the mountains is to request permission in advance.
Well..crap.

I'm guessing the bureaucratic hoops would be near impossible for me to navigate, but I'm going to see. I was reading where it was a former US National Parks official who is or was managing the preserve. I wonder if it's even possible to secure that permission unless it's for official or research purposes.

Where do the locals get fuel for their vehicles?
Old 02-19-2016, 01:27 PM   #44
BrotherWolf

When I was in Boquillas last year folks were ferrying across to the NPS/BP station with empty gas cans, presumably to fill up in Panther Junction within Big Bend.
BrotherWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 01:47 PM   #45
crchristo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherWolf View Post
When I was in Boquillas last year folks were ferrying across to the NPS/BP station with empty gas cans, presumably to fill up in Panther Junction within Big Bend.
Interesting. That's sort of what I had in mind if it came to it.
Still, I don't believe there's any way possible that the gas station on Big Bend is supporting that entire area south of the border with gas. It's probably cheaper but I just don't understand how they could keep up with the volume.

Last edited by crchristo; 02-19-2016 at 03:36 PM.
crchristo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 02:45 PM   #46
kayakkawakid

Quote:
I would adhere JT's advice, best to be prepared in da unknown, my situation is not set, depends on how free I can be, am in da middle of building a home, that has my priority, then if I'm moved before mektrek, and if Daryl or someone rides to Jalpan on Monday April 11 th or 12 th (5 or 6 day) ridewith me, that's my ride but if I can't get away or Daryl can't go with me then later in April or May, I'm totally in for del rio. I can't afford two rides back to back, if Chris can wait til we get closer, play it by ear, or join us to Jalpan, honestly both rides are awesome, and I'm dying to ride either, but in comparison, mektrek is probably a better ride in many regards, so Chris if I go to mektrek, join me and if not I will join u to del rio afterwards. Sorry but logistics beforehand is sometimes da most complicated part.
kayakkawakid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 03:25 PM   #47
crchristo

Quote:
I would adhere JT's advice, best to be prepared in da unknown, my situation is not set, depends on how free I can be, am in da middle of building a home, that has my priority, then if I'm moved before mektrek, and if Daryl or someone rides to Jalpan on Monday April 11 th or 12 th (5 or 6 day) ridewith me, that's my ride but if I can't get away or Daryl can't go with me then later in April or May, I'm totally in for del rio. I can't afford two rides back to back, if Chris can wait til we get closer, play it by ear, or join us to Jalpan, honestly both rides are awesome, and I'm dying to ride either, but in comparison, mektrek is probably a better ride in many regards, so Chris if I go to mektrek, join me and if not I will join u to del rio afterwards. Sorry but logistics beforehand is sometimes da most complicated part.
I hear ya. Coordinating these sorts of things are almost always the hardest part. In light of the new information about the nature preserve being locked and the lack of fuel points, it takes a lot of the shine off of the trip.
I don't have a problem with the self supporting aspect, but it does add significant challenges.

Logistically, fuel is my only real concern. Over 400 miles best case, I'm looking at over 13 gallons of fuel using an estimated 30MPG. That's about 90 lbs!

Well, like I've said; I'm flexible. If the cards fall to where I don't ride Mexico until October to Galeana, so be it. I'll continue to see about developing this particular route. For sure, I want to go to the 4 Palmas mine one day though.

Last edited by crchristo; 02-19-2016 at 03:27 PM.
crchristo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 03:42 AM   #48
kayakkawakid

Quote:
Did u get into da preserve afterall? What route u do? Did u c da mine ? Chris, if all else fails, no mektrek in april, no del rio, we can do galeana for an overnighter, or 2 or 3 nights, i just recieved my buddies ashes that i plan to spread them atop cerro potosi whenever possible, that was one of his favorite rides.
Old 02-20-2016, 11:08 AM   #49
crchristo

Quote:
Did u get into da preserve afterall? What route u do? Did u c da mine ? Chris, if all else fails, no mektrek in april, no del rio, we can do galeana for an overnighter, or 2 or 3 nights, i just recieved my buddies ashes that i plan to spread them atop cerro potosi whenever possible, that was one of his favorite rides.
I'd be proud to help you honor your buddy. Just let me know.
Old 02-21-2016, 06:07 PM   #50
Shadman
TWT Site Sponsor

I can only reasonably leave the family and business for one long weekend a month. And being financially unstable, AKA "Funemployed" I am borderline broke most days. Add to that a remodel job in Phoenix...I'm flustered. February is two weeks in Big Bend and Phoenix, March I go 10 days to Phoenix, April is 8 days in Jalpan. So that leaves me available mid May for at most a 3 - 4 day trip. Just not Mother's Day, May 8th, or my soulmate will burn a bike or two in my absence.

Problem with mid-May is temps. I'd only want to head to Galeana / Monterrey / High Mountains from May to Sept. I'm not into roughing it and sweating my booty off with overloaded bikes on a semi-unknown trek.

Time keeps on slipping....into the future. Very sad for your loss Zeke. I wish my buddies would do the same for me. I wanna fly like an eagle, to the sea. Fly like an eagle let my spirit carry me. Fly on into the revolution, uh uh uh! 44 this year. 88 is my goal, my favorite number, infinity on it's side, twice over for good measure. So I'm halfway round, kicking and screaming.

Last edited by Shadman; 02-21-2016 at 06:14 PM.
Shadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 06:19 PM   #51
Shadman
TWT Site Sponsor

By the way, this is the mountains you are talking about overlooking boquillas, on a day when clouds condensed out of no where, just to take a plunge over the cliffs and disappear. One of the coolest natural phenom I've experienced.
Attached Thumbnails
Boquillas.jpg  
Old 02-21-2016, 07:17 PM   #52
crchristo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadman View Post
I can only reasonably leave the family and business for one long weekend a month.
I wish I could get away that often!
Old 02-21-2016, 07:29 PM   #53
crchristo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadman View Post
By the way, this is the mountains you are talking about overlooking boquillas, on a day when clouds condensed out of no where, just to take a plunge over the cliffs and disappear. One of the coolest natural phenom I've experienced.
I think that whole area is incredibly beautiful. I want to ride up to the top of those cliffs some day. As you and Mr. Steve Miller have pointed out, time does keep slipping. I've got to really try to prioritize and then keep up with my "some day" list, or there will suddenly be too few days left.

The last time I visited the Big Bend area was in August a couple of years ago. HOT!
Old 02-21-2016, 07:47 PM   #54
philipbarrett

Not quite as exciting or exotic but...

http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthre...92#post1414292

2010 BMW F800GS "Buck"
2002 KTM 300EXC
2015 Husqvarna FE501S
1975 Honda CB400F
philipbarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 01:59 PM   #55
Tailwind

I have often thought about trailering the bikes and fuel in and setting up a small inconspicuous spike camp. Take day rides. I'm not interested in riding thru the park, but would like to explore all of the legal roads around it. Maybe this next winter...
Tailwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 01:03 AM   #56
crchristo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailwind View Post
I have often thought about trailering the bikes and fuel in and setting up a small inconspicuous spike camp. Take day rides. I'm not interested in riding thru the park, but would like to explore all of the legal roads around it. Maybe this next winter...
I agree; that would be a good way to visit the area. Probably the best, especially if there were a mechanical problem or an injury. It would eliminate the big problem of fuel resupply.

It's my understanding that it's a bit of a problem trying to bring two vehicles in to Mexico.

Assuming that there is a work-around for that, I'd be hesitant to leave a vehicle and campsite set up and unattended.
The reserve is owned by Cemex, and I think all the surrounding land belongs to the various ejidos, so no matter where you set up, you're on someones property.

And this is just my gut feeling; it's admittedly based on ignorance of the true reality of the criminal risks in that part of the frontier border region, but for security reasons, I would not want to establish the pattern that a remote base of operations would require. Maybe it's just unfounded paranoia on my part. I don't know.

A hybrid option for this would be to forget the trailer, and enlist a few 4X4 enthusiasts to go along. The Jeeps would do their thing, the bikes would do their thing, and there would be coordinated linkups, campsites, or maybe even just fuel and water caches established.
Lots of moving pieces to make something like that work.
Old 04-01-2016, 01:57 PM   #57
kayakkawakid

hey bud, u still in for may to galeana? if so, do we a solid and setup one of these reports for it with all welcome to join no fees, just a bunch of guys meet on da net to go to mex for a good time scenario for 2nd or 3rd weekend thurs - sun 3 nights 4 days
Old 04-01-2016, 02:38 PM   #58
kayakkawakid

Well on second thought da 3 rd week may 19th-22nd would be best
Old 04-01-2016, 02:44 PM   #59
philipbarrett

I could leave DFW on the 23rd & would need to be back in DFW by the 28th, is that something you could work with?

2010 BMW F800GS "Buck"
2002 KTM 300EXC
2015 Husqvarna FE501S
1975 Honda CB400F
philipbarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 02:02 AM   #60
kayakkawakid

Quote:
Originally Posted by philipbarrett View Post
I could leave DFW on the 23rd & would need to be back in DFW by the 28th, is that something you could work with?
Yeah sure, how about u Chris ?