TWT Forums  

Go Back   TWT Forums > General Discussion > Story Telling and Tire Kicking > Photography > The Coffee Table

Notices

Forum Jump

Old 07-10-2018, 04:18 PM   #41
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

Re: Focusing on the small things in life... Macro Photography

I love this spider! It's a funny story how we found it. We were getting in my truck to head home after getting lunch on a Sunday afternoon. Sarah (my 13 yo daughter) was getting in the front passenger seat when she spotted this spider crawling on my iPhone sitting in the console between the seats. She asked if I wanted her to catch it so we could take pictures of it and I told her not to worry about it, thinking we'd never be able to keep it contained until we got home and got the camera gear ready. As we pulled away, I forgot about it...

Later that afternoon, after a throne session, I spotted the same little spider crawling across the top of the toilet tank lid! I guess it hitched a ride on my iPhone and then jumped from it to me or the toilet. Anyway, I got it to jump to my hand and stay put long enough that I was able to take it out front and place it on a leaf of our Holly bush. I then ran inside and grabbed my camera. When I got back out front, it was if the spider were sitting there waiting for me! It was very patient and quite curious.

Total Forum Supporter Donations For October: $312.84 - Previous Month: $553.44 - Record High: Jan 16 $1539.42 - 111 Current Forum Supporters out of 20871 Users (0.53%)
Support TWT by shopping at Amazon

The number one rule for this forum!
Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. Eph 4:29 (NIV)
Think before you post. Leave out the vulgarity, personal attacks and foul language!

Quote:
"However lofty the goals, if the means be depraved, the result must reflect that depravity." - Leonard E. Read

Lies are fragile. They require constant attentiveness to keep them alive. The exposure of a single truth can rip through an ocean of lies, evaporating it instantly. - Brandon Smith

If you want government to intervene domestically, you’re a liberal. If you want government to intervene overseas, you’re a conservative. If you want government to intervene everywhere, you’re a moderate. If you don’t want government to intervene anywhere, you’re an extremist. — Joe Sobran

It is no crime to be ignorant of economics, which is, after all, a specialized discipline and one that most people consider to be a ‘dismal science.' But it is totally irresponsible to have a loud and vociferous opinion on economic subjects while remaining in this state of ignorance. – Murray N. Rothbard

When one possessed of the Truth suffers from a heavy heart he is susceptible to a more dangerous affliction — the craving for power to eradicate error, to cause Truth to triumph by force. - Frank Chodorov

Where politicians flourish, long history has harshly taught us, people and their liberty wither. Where the state is god and the "public interest" worshipped, individual man will be found bleeding upon the altar. - Karl Hess

The accepted wisdom is that without the state, society would collapse into lawlessness and crime. In fact, lawlessness and crime define the very nature of the state and the society organized by it. - Bionic Mosquito

But the myth of the rule of law does more than render the people submissive to state authority; it also turns them into the state's accomplices in the exercise of its power. For people who would ordinarily consider it a great evil to deprive individuals of their rights or oppress politically powerless minority groups will respond with patriotic fervor when these same actions are described as upholding the rule of law. - John Hasnas
Tourmeister is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 04:56 PM   #42
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

This first batch of the spider in the web is from the side of our house. This spider has been a resident for at least four months. It's always there when I go to look for it. It is hard to get good shots of it though because it is always sitting on the underside of the web and is in an awkward spot. I was playing around with different flash compensation levels and different ISO settings in an attempt to get a more pleasing background and less of a hot spot from the flash. Not real happy with the end results, but some still came out fairly well.

One of the higher ISO shots, which lets in more background color at the expense of more noise.

A better balance of flash and background.

Spiders sitting in a web are harder to do because there is nothing nearby to reflect light from the flash, which makes for dark backgrounds unless you crank up the ISO. However, that brings in the grainy noise you see in the background of some of the above images. Other critters are usually sitting on leaves or other things which helps a lot. You can see this in the following images, all captured at the lake across the street from our house.

A two-fer

And another two-fer

The damsel and dragon flies are quite curious. If I see them and they take off while I am trying to get in position to shoot them, if I wait a bit, they usually return close enough that I can get the shots. It doesn't take long for them to come back. Spiders are kind of hit and miss. Some flee instantly and don't come back. Spiders on webs tend to want to stay put. The jumping spiders, like the last images above, are very curious and will even put up with me moving leaves out of the way or pruning them with my thumbnail so I can get a better shot. The flash does not seem to bother any of the bugs.

Total Forum Supporter Donations For October: $312.84 - Previous Month: $553.44 - Record High: Jan 16 $1539.42 - 111 Current Forum Supporters out of 20871 Users (0.53%)

Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. Eph 4:29 (NIV)
Think before you post. Leave out the vulgarity, personal attacks and foul language!

Quote:
"However lofty the goals, if the means be depraved, the result must reflect that depravity." - Leonard E. Read

Lies are fragile. They require constant attentiveness to keep them alive. The exposure of a single truth can rip through an ocean of lies, evaporating it instantly. - Brandon Smith

If you want government to intervene domestically, you’re a liberal. If you want government to intervene overseas, you’re a conservative. If you want government to intervene everywhere, you’re a moderate. If you don’t want government to intervene anywhere, you’re an extremist. — Joe Sobran

It is no crime to be ignorant of economics, which is, after all, a specialized discipline and one that most people consider to be a ‘dismal science.' But it is totally irresponsible to have a loud and vociferous opinion on economic subjects while remaining in this state of ignorance. – Murray N. Rothbard

When one possessed of the Truth suffers from a heavy heart he is susceptible to a more dangerous affliction — the craving for power to eradicate error, to cause Truth to triumph by force. - Frank Chodorov

Where politicians flourish, long history has harshly taught us, people and their liberty wither. Where the state is god and the "public interest" worshipped, individual man will be found bleeding upon the altar. - Karl Hess

The accepted wisdom is that without the state, society would collapse into lawlessness and crime. In fact, lawlessness and crime define the very nature of the state and the society organized by it. - Bionic Mosquito

But the myth of the rule of law does more than render the people submissive to state authority; it also turns them into the state's accomplices in the exercise of its power. For people who would ordinarily consider it a great evil to deprive individuals of their rights or oppress politically powerless minority groups will respond with patriotic fervor when these same actions are described as upholding the rule of law. - John Hasnas
Old 07-11-2018, 01:04 PM   #43
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

This set is from the lake across the street. My daughter, Sarah, likes to go with me when I look for bugs. She's a great spotter! She also likes to try her hand at getting pictures, but struggles with the patience of taking lots of bad pictures before getting a few good ones. She's a bit of a perfectionist and wants every shot to be perfect She was using my D7200 with the macro lens. I was using my D750 with the 70-200mm F2.8 lens and an extension tube (30mm I think). None of her pics came out well. She forgot to adjust the diopter for the viewfinder on the camera to her better eyesight and it resulted in all of her shots being out of focus

If you look closely, you can see what's for dinner...

While we were shooting, we started hearing a buzzing racket down in some weeds. I poked around and we found this huge dragon fly that was obviously not having a good day. I was able to pick it up. Despite no obvious injuries, it was unable to fly away and was remarkably calm sitting in my hand. We eventually took it back to the house to show my wife and the other kids. It died during the night. These shots were all posed while at the lake.

My favorite of the bunch

Look closely and you might see either a cause or a result of its demise...

You might spot it here as well...

See them now...?

A sticky situation...

Quote:

Old 07-11-2018, 01:26 PM   #44
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

So it's back to the front yard Holly bush. Right now it is full of these TINY spiders. I can barely see them at all, even when looking right at them. I've tried using both cameras and various lenses with and without extension tubes, but I just can't get a decent shot of any of them! I really need more of a microscope lens that goes higher than 1:1. So the first shot below is the best shot I have been able to manage. I include it mostly to show the lack of detail. The spider is maybe 2mm across at its longest dimension. The entire web is maybe 1-1/2 to 2" across.

Sarah spotted this little spider, a seriously fuzzy critter! I had a hard time getting any really sharp images of this one, not sure why. It might be that sometimes a setting on the camera gets changed and I forget to reset things, like the dipoter on the view finder

Getting dinner

This is one of the "big" spiders. You can see relative to the leaves that the web is not real big. The bush is FULL of webs like this one!

There are also tons of these super tiny flies. To the naked eye, they just look like black blobs. When the flash hits them, the black gives way to amazing detail! If you look closely at the eye, you will see a little black spot about 1/3 of the distance from the top. That spot moves, similar to our pupil. It will track me as I move around trying to get different angles for the shot.

This has to be the SMALLEST jumping spider I've ever seen. It looks hairless and translucent. The black spots are some of its eyes. Look real close and you can see the two main eyes facing front. They look clear as well.

I have no idea what this is and have never seen one before, but it is very cool looking! I love the eyes!

Circle of life

Quote:

Old 07-11-2018, 01:40 PM   #45
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

The tiny spiders on the Holly bush were annoying me. There has to be a way to get a better shot of them. These were taken with the D750, the 70-200mm f2.8, and a mess load of extension tubes (60mm total maybe?). Included here are the original uncropped images followed by a close crop. The spider is MUCH smaller than it looks on your screen. It is maybe the size of the head on a straight pen used for sewing. I love how the body pattern looks like a face.

I like these next photos because they show an important aspect of reality. Whether it is a good day or a bad day really depends on your perspective... (Taken with the D7200 and the 105mm Macro).

I am not sure the flying ant ever had a real chance... The spider was moving FAST.

Quote:

Old 07-12-2018, 04:11 PM   #46
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

Okay, so my last batch for a bit. These were taken at a friend's house the Saturday before July 4th. They did a big cook out, fireworks, and a massive bonfire. They live out in the woods so there were a lot of bugs. All were taken with the D7200 and the 105mm macro lens.

This guy was FAST and never sat still for a moment!

See the ant underneath?

Under a bush by the garage...

The wind was making the web flick back and forth like crazy. It was hard to time the release with the moment the spider was in focus. This was the best I could do. It did not help that it was up above my head so I was holding the camera up in the air.

This is along the side of the concrete of the front porch. It was very tolerant of my moving blades of grass and even poking near it with my finger to get it to move for a better shot.

A similar spider to the one above, but a different one.

Note the missing leg sections on the 2nd right leg

This orb weaver was spinning a web between the chains for the light and fan switches on a ceiling fan over the front porch.

A similar orb weaver on a fluorescent light fixture.

I went home about half way through the day to mow our yard and then headed back later for the fireworks and bonfire. Unfortunately, I forgot to bring my D750 and the other lenses with me. The 105mm on the D7200 does not work real well for fireworks, especially hand held. This last one just looks kind of neat though, like confetti.

Quote: