• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

When Men Where Men and Too Much

DaveC

Reaction score
First Name
David
Last Name
Carter
just wasn't enough!

311852942.jpg

for old drag bike picswhere I got this image

Re: When Men Where Men and To Much

You just reminded me of the Russ Collin's poster that hung on my wall for years...I wonder if it's still at my Dad's house. That thing tried to kill him at least once, or was it the double engine one he wadded up?

The triple is the one that got him...

In 1973, Collins built the revolutionary, three-engine, Honda-based drag bike he dubbed Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe – named in honor of the famous railroad line of the late 1800s. The monstrous three-engine Honda was featured in numerous motorcycle and drag racing publications and was perhaps the most famous drag bike of the 1970s. The Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe set numerous records and Collins rode it to the first seven-second quarter-mile turned on a motorcycle in Ontario, California, in 1973. It even became the first motorcycle to win NHRA’s coveted "Best Engineered Car" award at the Springnationals in 1973. The bike was so powerful and heavy that it proved to be very hard to control and in 1976 the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe was destroyed in a horrendous accident in Akron, Ohio. The crash landed Collins in the hospital, and while recuperating he dreamed up his next monster creation – The Sorcerer.

Marion Owens.....there's a name I haven't heard in a long time.

I saw that bike in the astrohall in 73 at dealer show that was every year with the AMA TT races . Very inpressive for the 17 yo I was ....Jack

Sam Wills from OKC is another old school racer, but he's busy building chopper frames now.

Terry Vance used to throw up after every run on his fueler it scared him so much.

Old Skool rox!

Triple supercharged. You've gotta love it.

Firewalled at work. :(

Like I wanna work on a Friday afternoon! :lol2:

I'm with Becca: Mods - spellcheck the thread title, PLEASE!!

I saw that bike in the astrohall in 73 at dealer show that was every year with the AMA TT races . Very inpressive for the 17 yo I was ....Jack

Yup, that's when and where I saw it too. I used to think it was very nice of the AMA to start the season on the weekend around my birthday. :mrgreen:

Back