• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

FJR question

I never felt like it needed one. What are you trying to fix?

Not really fixing anything. Read a little about how it makes the throttle response smoother, adds some power (as though it does not have enough)...
This is my first non-cruiser so I am doing some research. I have had the FJR since Sept. I love it. Already knocking at 9,000 miles and really have no complaints.

I would think you are wasting your money.. Unless you get it setup on a rolling road (so you could see any effect that it has) my experience is that unless you have made significant changes to the engine (Air filter, exhaust, etc) you really won't see any difference (Except fewer green backs in your wallet). a 4 degree ignition advancer for $50 will probably do more for you (performance wise) for less money!! I personally would leave the bike stock, it will be worth more when you sell it later, it will be more reliable as no one will have modified the wiring or stressed the engine with wrong ignition timing! and use the money you saved by not buying the power commander to go on a nice 2 day ride with a hotel stop overnight with the wife...

Gary

I've thought about it to smooth out throttle response and low end smoothness. Still haven't done it yet. There is a guy that has a FJR "Smoothness" map. He claims it has no power gains that he can see on a dyno graph but it's buttery smooth thoughout the rev range.

If you get one the "proper" way to tune it would be to throw it on a dyno and tell'em what you want out of it. I've heard that the guy that I ref. above his map works really well.

http://www.fjr1300.info/misc/PC-III.html

I still may one day if I come across a used PCIII for sale. But I'm not about to spend that kinda money for a new one.

Thanks for all the input. That's why I asked. Looks like for now I will just keep enjoying the ride.

This is interesting. Seems most bikes benefit well from a power commander as they are usually tuned for emissions and getting them all worked out requires a power commander and usually works well.

I personally would leave the bike stock, it will be worth more when you sell it later, it will be more reliable as no one will have modified the wiring
Do you have to modify the wiring to install the PC? Every bike I've had it was just plug and play. And I've always been able to remove the PC at the time of selling and the bike is back to stock, and then resell the Power Commander separately.

I'm keeping an eye on this as I yearn to have an FJR in my garage someday. Sounds to me like the money would be better spent on suspension as I hear there's a lot to improve in that department.

I'm keeping an eye on this as I yearn to have an FJR in my garage someday. Sounds to me like the money would be better spent on suspension as I hear there's a lot to improve in that department.

I agree that would be the best place to put money into. The forks actually aren't too bad. Maybe throw in some stiffer springs if you are a big guy but they work well for me. I just did a fork oil change on mine a while back and it made a lot of difference in how the front end felt. I now have it on a 20k mile change interval.

The rear shock on the other hand leaves a lot to be desired. The two setting preload adjuster just isn't enough.

I've found the suspension on my 08 to be more then adequate. Actually, weighing in at about 165, I've adjusted to be softer then neutral, and it still is quite taut.

One diff between the st1300 and the fjr is the st13 has no adjustments on the front, none, zip. Installed sonic springs in my 05 st13 and it was like a totally diff bike. Made it perfectly clear how undersprung they are stock. But the fjr doesn't feel soft at all! Emergency braking creates very little "dive" at all. The st13 would bottom the forks then wallow side to side.

No issues with throttle smoothness on the fjr for me (pretty sure they made some changes to that from 08 on though)

I've got no gripes about the forks I like them. The rear shock simply doesn't have enough preload adjustment once it's loaded down for a trip. Add a passenger and it's just riding way too low in the rear even with the selector set to "hard". I never even bother running it on soft anymore as it just wallows too much even unloaded.

I've got no gripes about the forks I like them. The rear shock simply doesn't have enough preload adjustment once it's loaded down for a trip. Add a passenger and it's just riding way too low in the rear even with the selector set to "hard". I never even bother running it on soft anymore as it just wallows too much even unloaded.

That will be one of my upgrades , with both of us on the bike it shows up in the twisties real quick...Nothing dangerous but a little wallowing unless you push it real hard...

I saw advertised somewhere a modified throttle twist grip designed to smooth out the low throttle opening sensitivity....Mine is a 07 and has this this problem , just have to be careful.....MaMaw doesn't like wheelies:eek2:

I have a PCIII on my FJR and had it power-tuned which bumped up the rear wheel to 131hp. However, all-in-all, it is one of those things which I would not do over again were I to restart an FJR build from stock again. I waited a year & a half to re-do the suspension (Traxxion Dynamics / Ohlins) and it was definitely worth the uypgrade.

Back