• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Car tire report on ST 1300

Reaction score
ColoradoVacation8-11026.jpg

Short REPORT..
Two weeks, 3000 miles. In the Colorado mountains
No wear, at all.
It will drag a peg on the ST, little to hot in one corner.
It will corner in the rain just fine,,
I settled for 45 psi in the rear and 42 in the Elite 3 front
I had to add air to both tires once on the trip, Cold PSI went to 38 front and 41 rear ?
70 to 80 MPH the rear showed 52 psi max and the front went to 45 max...
It really looks like this hankook will be a 30,000 + tire Knowing me I will probably pull it off at 15,000 and install a new one,,
Now remember that Max mileage i could get out of the hardest compound tire you can get for the ST was 5000 miles with my rig,, The tire was a ME 880 type II high load 50 psi tire,
I use my ST 13 as a touring bike, If I did a lot of hot dogging in the mountains and they were closer than 500 miles, and I did not already have a special Hayabusa set up for sport touring in my garage , And I did not pull a camping trailer, and the wife did not ride the ST with me 100% of the time
I might go back to a Motorcycle tire on the ST, I might, but I dought it,
To be honest, I think the C/T thing has made the ST something I have wanted, A true long distance touring machine,,
Mike
ColoradoVacation8-11022.jpg

Good deal. I'm getting about 15K out of the Dunlop 407/408 combo or I would be looking at this for the long haul trips. Who wants to mess with tire changes in the middle of a journey? Nice report.

I'm assuming the tire and expired (unable to pass) inspection sticker are not realted? :rofl:

LOL I am sure it will pass inspection with flying colors..Even with all the LED lights up front,
I have Seven bikes and three vehicles and one of them always need tags or something,,
I have a Vee that had not been tagged in three years, I just over looked it.
Mike

So your bike hasn't tossed you from it's saddle into a fiery death just for thinking about the Dark Side?:rofl:

No fiery death yet,:trust:
But the way the cage drivers are here in west Texas, shhhhh...
I got LED lights that flicker, I got a set that I can turn on in traffic that flash off and on, and I am running two Hids up front,,,

Never say never in the motorcycle world,
I think all bikes should come with a TPMS, Like the Doran I have mounted on the ST,
Mike

...I think all bikes should come with a TPMS, Like the Doran I have mounted on the ST,
Mike

NO, just GOOD LORD NO! We have enough mandated garbage already.

But more pressing, a dude goes by the name gsxrmike, and rides a ST1300 with a car tire?:rofl:

I got one better than that, I have a Hayabusa with handlebars,,,
I am talking about handlebars like a dirt bike !!!!:sun:
I also run Tubeless tires on my KLR 685 and no tubes.Spoked wheels!!.....:eek2:
And as you already said a car tire on my St 1300,,,:trust:
And how about R compound sport tires on my DL 1000:clap:
and just to throw in something that is almost normal
Elite # 3s on my shadow,, good for about 40,000 miles ha..
I bend the rules a little to my own likes,,,:eek2:
And I still do believe the safest thing I have done to my ST is install the Doran unit, Lets me check air pressure going down the road and an alert warning if I lose 10% pressure...
Mike
NO, just GOOD LORD NO! We have enough mandated garbage already.

But more pressing, a dude goes by the name gsxrmike, and rides a ST1300 with a car tire?:rofl:

Be careful with the Hancock tire at speed...90+. On a Goldwing, the report is that it get pretty squirrely. I was going to put one on my Wing, but went with a Kumho 195-55-16RF and I have run it at 135+ and the Wing is now on a rail. 13,000+ miles on it and it still has over half the tread left. Making a trip out to Lubbock on it Friday with no worries. One thing I have noticed with the CT is the traction...especially in the wet stuff. No worries in the curves as I can lay it over far enough to scrape the bottom too. Check out the Kumho in a RF (Run Flat) as I will bet you will like it much better.

Hello Darksider,
The problem with the ST is that it runs a 17 inch rim and needs a 205/50/17 tire, It also needs a narrow tire, Not all 205s are made the same,,,
The Wings 16 inch rim gives you a LOT more choses..
According to my GPS the fastest I have had my Hankook is 110 and that was with me no passenger and no trailer, Its rock solid..
With my Doran TPMS I see no need to run a R/F tire, but having a flat with the rig I pull would be a pain in the rear Ha,,
I just love talking to the non darksiders,:trust:
I love to Conner to much,:eek2: You will die in a ball of flames,:lol2: It will never work,:lol2: One guy told me it will come off the rim at speed,:lol2: Oh another one was it will leak air because the rims are different, Ha:lol2:
I think we need to make a list of all the negatives that we have heard about the C/T on our bikes,, Maybe put in the joke section ,,,
Mike

I know what you mean about the CT on the bike and "everyone" has a negative comment about it, but all those that make a comment on it have NEVER done it. So...I just consider that I am talking to a moron and laugh away. :yawn: When they say things like it will pop off the rim, I usually ask them ..."well then, why doesnt it pop off the rim on a cage...a rim is a rim and they are all the same?" They just stand there and look stupid while I laugh...:rofl: I have convinced several people to go to a CT and they all love it and all of them have said that the handling is much better. ;-) I forgot that the ST has a 17 inch wheel. My best bud has one, but rides it very little...time to go to work on him...:trust: I will bet that if you have been caught in the wet or with a strong crosswind, that your CT holds the line superior to the old MT...and since you are toting a trailer, I would also bet that the CT holds better when you have it in tow.

The reason I like the FR so much is that last March, I was riding with another DarkSider and he picked up a nail and never knew it until we made a gas stop back in Ft. Worth when he saw the nail head. The tire had almost 10 pounds in it and we were still running 80 on the highway and he said that there were no quirks in the handling. I got my tire at Discount Tire and they told me that if I pick up a nail or anything that puts a hole in the tire, not to repair it. Bring it back for a replacement. He said that they did not repair punctures in the Kumho tires. They just replaced the tire and sent the tire with a hole in it to Kumho as they have requested. You are more than welcome to ride my Wing with it on there to see what you think. Discount also gave me their warranty thingy just like they do mounting 2 or 4 tires on a cage...so I'm good. The guy that sold it to me also has a Wing and I went back up and he rode it down the road, and he has the same tire on his Wing also.
Go here...

http://gl1800riders.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=31

...and look for "Murgie". I would think that they would welcome you regardless if you have a Wing or not, but Murgie can get you some "DarkSide numbers". My number is 785. There are a few guys over there with Harleys running DarkSide.

Something else...my tire has very stiff sidewalls being a RF, but even in a scraping turn, I have at least half of the tread footprint on the ground. The other side never comes up higher than an inch and as one bud told me while we were on our 4th annual scooter trip back in May..."You have more tire on the ground in a tight turn than I have with my D3 Dunlop going in a straight line". I laughed and told him...YUP. He NOW has the same Kumho 195-55-16RF on his Wing. A Wing MT in a straight line has about 3 inches of tire on the ground, but with my CT on, I have 7-1/2 inches on the ground...and NO...NOT even, does it even try to hydroplane. I just looked and saw that you are in Odessa...you dont even have to worry about wet roads out there unless someone is watering their lawn/dirt...:rofl: .Born in Odessa and raised in Lubbock. Think about going on our 5th annual scooter trip next May with us...

http://shooteraod.dyndns.org/BikeRides (pics and vids of our adventures)

http://shooteraod.dyndns.org/trips (Routes that we took)

www.MotorsbyShooter.com (motor business)

Your report would look good on the Darksiders forum. :rider:

Back