• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

So much for Deal's gap

Hmm... While I have no doubt it would be an economic boon of sorts to the area, it will also probably kill part of the current economy there. The very thing that makes that area so nice to visit is that it is somewhat remote and lacks a huge freeway running through it :-|

Adios,

Yup that's why so many trucks end up in the gap, it's the only US route through a fairly large area that otherwise they have to go way around.

Probably should have seen this coming.

Then again with congress looking for budget cuts, it may get shelved who knows.

This makes absolutely no sense. If for some reason it did come to fruition, it would be years before it would happen so you do have time! :eek:

That road to the west of the cherohala skyway where the olympic whitewater rafting was held would be a better route. 74? But no route anywhere near there makes sense for an interstate since the topography is so extreme and a nat'l park to boot.

Doug, since when does anything the Fed Gov does have to make sense... :-P

Doug,
How about some pics of the "Hawk". Did you do a little custom painting? All I've seen are red.
Buzz :chug:

They are doing the same thing in West Virgina - plans are to run a big freeway from Elkins to Davis and east towards DC. They already have a stretch made. Can you say "pork" ? It runs right through some of the most beautiful twisty road, forested, multi terrained roads I've ever seen.

I see the benefits to the local economy, let's see - more fastfood / truckstop / Walgreens - oh boy. :-(

FotoMoto said:
But no route anywhere near there makes sense for an interstate since the typography is so extreme and a nat'l park to boot.

I don't see why typography would affect it at all. I mean, as long as the letters are large enough to read, I don't care what font they use for the road signs.
:lol:

Sleepy Weasel said:
I don't see why typography would affect it at all. I mean, as long as the letters are large enough to read, I don't care what font they use for the road signs. :lol:
:shame: :rofl

I contacted the guys at Tail of the Dragon to ge their comments:

Scott:

We have seen this proposal and get quite a chuckle out of it. Be relieved to
know that you will never see any such Interstate or other roadway for that
matter that does away with the Dragon.

Here are two good reasons:

1. The environmentalists would raise hold **** as there are several
endangered species in the area and the run-off from construction down into
the Little Tennessee would severely affect many little insects and marine
life. We are aware of one study already that speaks to this.
http://www.tailofthedragon.com/news_articles2002.html

2. The Great Smoky Mountain National Park would never allow any expansion
along the US129 ROW.

Ron and Nancy Johnson
TOLL FREE: 800-768-7129
LOCAL 828-479-8400
FAX: 828-479-1456
www.tailofthedragon.com
info@ridedealsgap.com

Adios,

There goes the neighborhood.
It is happening everywhere, people money houses services.

Call someplace paradise.....kiss it goodbye.

Sleepy Weasel said:
I don't see why typography would affect it at all. I mean, as long as the letters are large enough to read, I don't care what font they use for the road signs.

LMAO! Good catch sleepy. :chug: I corrected it. BTW, are you male or female? I'm trying to figure out if we met when I ate dinner with tourmeister and a group last year.

To build any kind of federal spec. interstate through that area would cost several millions $ PER MILE! Now we're talking state governments here but the Cherohala Skyway, a nice but only two lanes wide road, took 40 years to finish at a cost of 100 million dollars.*

*I knew taking a stupid picture at a rest stop marker would pay off some day! :lol:

hcope1 said:
Doug,
How about some pics of the "Hawk". Did you do a little custom painting? All I've seen are red.

Yeah, it's a work in progress. I'll post some in the proper forum when it's time.

FotoMoto said:
Sleepy Weasel said:

LMAO! Good catch sleepy. :chug: I corrected it. BTW, are you male or female? I'm trying to figure out if we met when I ate dinner with tourmeister and a group last year.

Wasn't me, either way. I've only been riding since September. Just one of the guys, though.

FotoMoto said:
hcope1 said:
Doug,

Yeah, it's a work in progress. I'll post some in the proper forum when it's time.

Well Doug, I will say this, you take your time in everything apparently ;-)

you are the only guy active on this this, that's been around here as long as me, and has even less posts :lol:

I'm working to get my post count up so I can get some respect around here 8-)

Doubful it will work

Oh, and I did mean to add to the discussion with this:

Don't worry about the Feds, or the state ruining the Dragon. The squids are doing a perfectly good job of that all on their own. :miffed:

eL Donut said:
Well Doug, I will say this, you take your time in everything apparently ;-)

I wuz elected King of The Procrastinators once but I never got around to picking up my crown.....

eL Donut said:
Oh, and I did mean to add to the discussion with this:

Don't worry about the Feds, or the state ruining the Dragon. The squids are doing a perfectly good job of that all on their own. :miffed:

Yup, I think that and the development of lots for sale along the dragon is a close second, unless the squids by them all up. :twisted:

I'll volunteer to personally check out this rumor. I'm going to the Smokies in April to remind myself how wonderful it is to ride out there. I'll make sure to evaluate the situation carefully. BTW: There are many roads even better than the Dragon in this area. This will be my first time there on the Busa so I'm really looking forward to it. :-D

Back