• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Marvel Mystery Oil

Reaction score
First Name
Randy
I was listening to the “Car doctor” on Saturday and he was talking about it on a call. Prompted my curiosity about using it on the bike. There’s probably more but when I did a search I only found one comment about using Marvel Mystery Oil in the bike. It was about putting it in the oil not the fuel. Over the years I’ve heard many shadetree, and professional, mechanics suggest putting it in the fuel for cars but not bikes.

So anybody use it and if so how, in the fuel or in the oil?

Hijacking my own thread but he also advertises BG products and I’ve thought about stopping by his shop and seeing what they have for bikes.

I've used Marvel for soaking a stuck ring over night - a tablespoon into the spark plug hole and let it set. Frees up most stuck rings. It certainly does no harm when added to the crankcase, and I think it helps clean up within the crankcase. I use it once in a great while.

I use Marvel Mystery Oil in my homemade manometer for syncronising the throttles on my Strom. If I mistakingly suck some into the engine no problem it just smokes a little.

I was listening to the “Car doctor” on Saturday and he was talking about it on a call. Prompted my curiosity about using it on the bike. There’s probably more but when I did a search I only found one comment about using Marvel Mystery Oil in the bike. It was about putting it in the oil not the fuel. Over the years I’ve heard many shadetree, and professional, mechanics suggest putting it in the fuel for cars but not bikes.

So anybody use it and if so how, in the fuel or in the oil?

Hijacking my own thread but he also advertises BG products and I’ve thought about stopping by his shop and seeing what they have for bikes.
I believe a lot of the cost associated with the BG product goes to the warranty that they give you when you use their product.

Its been around for years , the marvel is why people pay so much money for it , ATF will do just as much . Its a light weight top end oil . SEYA

The BG products have been around a while too I have seen there demo's a couple times , It sure wont hurt anything but will it improve enough to warrent the cost . Your the only one that can make that decision . I have used both products in the past and couldn't tell any difference . Other engines have been just fine on basic over the counter oils . I havent seen a lubricant related failure since I quite working on anything that ran texaco products . SEYA

It's been around for years. My Grampa liked it (ode to Father's Day).

I've had good luck with Seafoam.

there ya go.

Used to run a little ATF about the same as marvel M. In a tank in my car 1QT
A little in my bikes when i was going on trips,,,,,, Helps MPG
1QT of ATF in a tank of gas in the new cars will plug up a Catalytic converter
faster than you can say 200 dollars,,,, Your car will stop..... No go,,, tow truck
Mike

I've had a can in the garage for about 20+ years, use a drop in the pneumatic impact guns, nail guns to keep 'em lubed. It's a light oil like 3 in 1. Many years ago I remember some of the old timers talking about pouring some in the gas tank, for what I don't know.

I know this old guy back home that is one of these master mechanics. He could rebuild anything. He replaced some rings for me on a small Mitsubishi pickup years ago. One of his instructions was not to use marvel mystery oil for the first 3000 miles. He said if I did the rings would never seat. Stuff is too slippery. After that he said use it every oil change.

I've never seen any independent data on the stuff other than it will increase oil viscosity when it tries to break down in this heat. That alone would be worth a pint in the crankcase.

I add about two tablespoons to every 5th or so tank of gas, I've done it to every bike I've ever owned because my grandpa said to. Don't know if it has helped but it sure hasn't hurt.

I used to be a mechanic on large stationary natural gas engines and we would use vacumn powered injection systems with Marvel Mystery Oil on select engines that were having problems with sticking valves. It worked everytime I used it for that purpose. Never used it in my cars or motorcycles except for what I said in my previous post.;-)

ATF is a hydrolic fluid, it is not designed for lubrication. MMO well help with carbon build up in the valves and piston it lubes the seat also. It helps with the removal of moisture from your fuel. ATF works also for carbon but I don't think it is a moisture removal. It is also not recomended to use it(ATF) for more than 500 miles in your oil where MMO is added at the change. JMHO &E.

Thanks for the info, I’d never heard of those others. I haven’t tried some of these items since most of the people that use MMO, BG or some of the others out there take pretty good care of their vehicle. So always wondered if it was the additive or just the taking care part that made the car/bike/mower last longer.

Wanted to check on this since some of the ‘old garage fixes’ for carbureted, manual choked, vacuum line vehicles don’t work so well any more.

I've used it for years. True ATF is not really designed to "burn" in the combustion chamber. I use the MMO in my crankcase on the cars. That brown film that builds up under the valve covers, the MMO will prevent that and even reverse the build up. I use a cap full from time to time in the gas tank of the bikes. Its suppose to help lube the valves and burn off any excess carbon.

ATF is a hydrolic fluid, it is not designed for lubrication.

ATF does double duty as a lubricant and hydraulic fluid. There are bearings and bushing inside an automatic transmission that require lubrication. Also, many manual transmissions now use ATF for lube as recommended by manufacturers.

I've had a quart of it for probably 5 or 6 years and haven't used half of it. I've used it in small engines (generators, mowers, tillers) but never put it in anything larger. It helps level out the engine if it's running a little rough or knocking.

might have to try some of these ideas on the car.

There is a big following of the oil on the RX-8 board. Add a little every so often to the gas to help keep the ring lubricated on the rotary engine
Michael

I have always used MMO to assemble car engines and run a little in the crankcase during break in, never had any ring seating problems, I now use it in my bikes gas all the time and so far they run great, I bought a 98 Vulcan late last year with a little under 8000 miles on it, the bike ran good but was a little hard to start, after running a couple of tanks of gas with MMO the bike ran much better and bump the starter button and it kicked right off.

So I would say it does a very good job on the fuel system with a noticeable improvement of performance.

Far as in the crankcase of a bike I let the Motul handle that, MMO says it won’t harm anything including your clutch but with today’s cleaning agents in the oil I see no need to try it.

I've heard a few folks talk about putting a 1/2 a cup of ATF in their oil because they claim it smooths up shifting in their bikes. Anybody have first hand experience with this?

I have always used MMO to assemble car engines and run a little in the crankcase during break in, never had any ring seating problems, I now use it in my bikes gas all the time and so far they run great, I bought a 98 Vulcan late last year with a little under 8000 miles on it, the bike ran good but was a little hard to start, after running a couple of tanks of gas with MMO the bike ran much better and bump the starter button and it kicked right off.

So I would say it does a very good job on the fuel system with a noticeable improvement of performance.

Far as in the crankcase of a bike I let the Motul handle that, MMO says it won’t harm anything including your clutch but with today’s cleaning agents in the oil I see no need to try it.

FDM, About how much MMO per gal do you use or how much per tank (how many gals)?

I am 65 and as a kid my dad used this stuff religiously. When he had an old car that ran poorly, he would remove the air filter and with the car running at a high rpm he would pour MMO into the carb until the engine died. In a day or two he would start the car and run it until it more or less quit smoking. He always claimed it made it run much better after that treatment.:shrug:

Back