• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Trailer Parking

schrec

Reaction score
If you are trailering your bike to a destination and have an issue with where to park your vehicle and trailer, I found a fairly inexpensive option. Public storage is having a first month for a dollar internet special. So for my trip next month I rented a 10X30 storage space that is big enough for my truck and trailer for $20. $1 for the unit, and $19 admin fee

also, many truck stops will allow you to leave a rig for a few days, if you ask up front

the storage facility solution sounds great

thx

sw

Most of the time you have to sign a year's contract to do that, so far as I understand.

It helps to be well plugged into a church, or certain civic organizations. A buddy & I are headed to Colorado in June. We've worked a deal to park the Jeep/trailer in a church parking lot in Amarillo for the duration.

I have dropped off my trailer in NM to avoid riding in the Texas heat and also to save knobby life. I found the MicroTel motel in Raton (Tourmeister suggested this to me several years ago when I first started riding), NM will allow you to keep a car and trailer there provided you spend a night at their facility for up to ten days. I will usualy spend the night there on my return before heading back to Texas for good will.

The second place to park a trailer is in Alto, NM. TWTEX user Ruidoso Ron has a house with a large parking facility. Once I leave the trailer there I am just a few hundred miles away from Colorado if I want to ride there or hit parts of the CDR.

Another option I have used is get a one month lease contract with a storage facility in a SMALL town for the car and trailer.. It usually costs about $40.00. It is usually protected by video surveillance.

RB

Last edited:
During the ET450 some riders left ther rigs at the Walmart. I've started staying at KOAs. Depending on the local management they will let you leave your rig there either for free or a discounted rate as long as you camp a night or two.

We have left our trucks and trailer in Raton at a storage facility there. They have room for RV and larger trailers. Leave it in an uncovered area and the charge was either $5 or $6 per day, $20 min. We were given the code so we could pick them up on the way back without any problem. Very handy and.... they were under lock and key for the duration. That's exactly what I wanted. Safe and sound. Worked out great.

well it was a good idea in theory, but it had a few kinks in it. Namely the fact that the truck and trailer even unhitched were about 6 inches to long to fit into the storage garage and get the door closed. I had to improvise a little, but I found a place that would let me park the truck in the back corner for a couple of days. He wasn't going to charge me anything, but I put a twenty on the counter and told him lunch is on me.

So I guess the take away here is, measure twice, store once.

Back