• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Where to ride in Colorado?

:doh:

I did not even realize this was in the OT section!

It has been moved to the Ride/Trip Planning Info forum.

When you're home, we want your route, and we want pictures! Have fun.

Yes have you closed in on your target yet? Some of us might not get to go this year and live thru others adventures. Which way you headed???

For a reference guide a rider who lives in the mountains has a bunch of videos and has a book out with rides all over the state. The book is available on Amazon as well.

Rocky Mountain Rider Video
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Guide-Motorcycling-Colorado-Definitive/dp/1884313922/]Amazon - The Complete Guide to Motorcycling Colorado[/ame]

One thing to be aware of, the last couple of seasons have been pretty big for motorcycle and trailer thefts at hotels/motels in the Springs. I think a ring was busted over the winter but there were thoughts there were more than that single group involved. If you are looking at national chains on the edge of Denver, there is a Hampton Inn at C-470 & Ken Caryl, it is in the Foothills and a short trip into the mountains from there. Places like Montrose are nice destinations but would be a full days ride getting there and back from the Springs of Denver metro areas, it is about 5-6 hours from my house in Aurora. If you wanted to ride in far SW Colorado you would be better off staying down in that region just so you don't spend all the time "getting there".

As far as weather, you may face some spitting snow at very high elevations but below about 7,500 it looks to be over, we have been in the 70-80's down here (5,800 ft) for most of the past week. By the middle of June any kind of accumulation would probably be done below 10,000.

Enjoy the trip.

Last edited:
If you get a chance to look there are 4 pictures on my page that has some scenery from a trip to Colorado. If you like waterfalls CO is a great place to check them out at. Scenic overlooks and pull overs for picture opportunities that are magical. Do not judge the roads by miles some are so twisty it takes awhile to get down them. Make sure your brakes are in order also before you go for safety purposes. Don't ask why I am giving that advice!!!! KP

If your basing out of Colorado springs hitting pikes peak is a must. (PS: make sure when you get off your tank doesn't pressurize and start spewing gas out the bottom. If that happens just open the fuel door and it will stop. Had that happen on pikes peak last time)

West Colorado has some nice canyon riding and not much traffic. I saw a lot of elk. And naturally the million dollar highway.

Also south of Colorado springs is bishops castle close to monument lake. Its a pretty neat place to stop and look around.

But really there isn't much bad riding in Colorado unless your on the interstate.

Have fun.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

I am a Colorado native and Colorado Springs isn't bad choice given the amount of time you have. Are you trailering up to Colorado or riding? If you are trailering, spending another half day traveling in order to base in the Mountains somewhere will reduce your actual riding time by a day (half day coming and going). There are some great day trips out of the Springs, as the natives call it.

First day south to Canyon City and the loop around through Salida (pronounced Sa lie da in Colorado) / Buena Vista (pronounced Bu Na) take the trip over to the Royal Gorge Bridge, don't stop for the touristy stuff and ride across the wooden planked bridge. Hopefully you are not afraid of heights. Keep going on the other side (don't u-turn like most do) and eventually you get back to the main highway ... it's actually a pretty cool little road. It would be a good day to go up Pikes Peak. Distance is about 300 miles with Pikes Peak, probably 9 hours riding.

Second day I would go due west over to Buena Vista north to highway 82 over Independence Pass (highest paved through pass in Colorado) to Aspen then on to Glenwood (the other Springs) then back east on I-70 through Glenwood Canyon, one of the most impressive sights in Colorado in my opinion then south back into Leadville and back to the Springs. A long days ride 9+ hours at about 400 miles. Shorten this one by riding only to Aspen, not my favorite place but very unique.

Third day depending your tolerance for long rides I would go due west again then north through Conifer, skirting Denver (stay away from Denver, nothing to see here) and on to Rocky Mountain National Park. Beautiful scenery, great roads in the mountains but it will be a very long ride for one day though, 10+ hours. Call ahead though for the park, it may still be closed from the snow.

Fourth day I might be tempted to do an out and back riding through Gunnison and the "north rim" of the Black Canyon. Nothing much in the way of a destination but the scenery of the Black Canyon is very impressive, 9 hours.

That's where I would start as far as planning and then let the actual ride itself dictate the distance. These are long day rides 9 or 10 hours, you can chop each one down by simply turning around when you are ready.

Post up and let us know what you decide to do.

My buddy and I head out June 2nd to the west coast, up to Canada across back through Colorado and home. We expect to take at least 3 weeks.

Re: Where to ride in CAlolorado?

I don't know why everyone is avoiding Colorado Springs. It is not a bad place, yes there is people and traffic there; but that means lots of resources for any issues that may arise. Just try to stay on the west side of I35 close to 24, and you will not have to experience too much traffic.

Depending on the riding I recommend that you hit up APEX motorsports for some trail advice. When I lived there they turned me onto the 717 loop (if I remember correctly). Just outside Divide, off N Manchester Creek Dr. It was about 30 miles of trail, not dirt road. It was all quad wide, and I took my girlfriend around it on her dirt bike.

Make sure you go through the garden of the gods if you are staying in the springs, and cave of the winds is pretty cool too.

Also I recommend Gold Camp Road. It has some pretty good views, and some tunnels to ride through. Plus it is right on the edge of town.

If your travels take you near Idaho Springs, (right off I70) there are some great hot springs to go to there, and some really neat little mining towns in that area.

You will not have a bad time riding in Colorado.

Re: Where to ride in CAlolorado?

I don't know why everyone is avoiding Colorado Springs. It is not a bad place, yes there is people and traffic there; but that means lots of resources for any issues that may arise. Just try to stay on the west side of I35 close to 24, and you will not have to experience too much traffic.

Depending on the riding I recommend that you hit up APEX motorsports for some trail advice. When I lived there they turned me onto the 717 loop (if I remember correctly). Just outside Divide, off N Manchester Creek Dr. It was about 30 miles of trail, not dirt road. It was all quad wide, and I took my girlfriend around it on her dirt bike.

Make sure you go through the garden of the gods if you are staying in the springs, and cave of the winds is pretty cool too.

Also I recommend Gold Camp Road. It has some pretty good views, and some tunnels to ride through. Plus it is right on the edge of town.

If your travels take you near Idaho Springs, (right off I70) there are some great hot springs to go to there, and some really neat little mining towns in that area.

You will not have a bad time riding in Colorado.
There has been a lot of work around 24 just west of Colorado Springs (and Rudy's BBQ) because of the late flooding last year in Manitou Springs, usually it is a nice way to the mountains but I'm not sure how far along they are with the work. It is also the same way with some of the area in Boulder County because of the flooding many roads are still being worked on where they were washed out. Estes Park is still recovering (but open) and Lyons is slowly getting back to normal. I think Peak to Peak (119) to RMNP is still open but there are some roads still closed in the park and getting to the park. Boulder Falls is closed and there is still work being done on the roads.

Those were the areas hardest hit by flooding last year although there is some trepidation about the snow melt flooding that will be starting after the best snow in many, many years for most of the mountains. The mountains in the southwest part of the state did not have the same level of snowfall as the central and northern mountains.

...and I guess I was wrong about the snow being done, here in Aurora we are getting snow right now, forecast to get 4-8 inches through tomorrow morning.

Thanks for that reminder, Bluedogok. I've been going back and forth between doing the Estes Park / Nederland / Boulder area in June, or staying farther south. Given your information about residuals from last year's flooding, I think I'll stay south. Rocky Mtn NP and Nederland will be there next year.

Here is some of what you might see.

100_6175-001_zps22086887.jpg

100_6171-001_zpsd01f0f3a.jpg

Back