• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Copper Breaks SP

Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Last Name
Jensen
While leafing through an old tent camping guide for Texas, I found a pleasant review of Copper Breaks State Park.
Living on the north side of the DFW metroplex, and with a wide network of backroads, I thought it might be a fun weekend camping trip. I thought it would be nice to start a weekend campout trip where I would not have to drive south through DFW traffic.
Has anyone been there?

Sent from my NSA monitored iPhone using Tapatalk
http://www.twowheelsandatankfullofgas.blogspot.com

I haven't, but my brother used to go there from Lubbock to camp. He really liked it.

Copper Breaks is a nice, little park. (Granted, it's been 15 yrs since I've been there) Depends on what you're looking for.
The scenery is better another 1.5 hrs down the road at Caprock Canyons SP.
But to just get away and be out, either place will suffice. Stars are visible, and the trails are good. For a quick weekend trip, the extra 3 hrs of travel (round trip) to Caprock might not be worth it to you.
There are also other parks closer that are gems (Tyler SP for one). I guess we could start a whole thread on State Parks -- I'd bet there already is one.

Copper Breaks is a nice, small state park. Camping is out in the stars (and sun) as there's not much in the way of trees for shade. Most trees are of the bush category instead of anything very tall. The park is quite rocky. One small lake. There are a few nice overlooks and several hiking trails. Mountain bikes are welcome but those trails are not very developed (granted, I last rode them in '07). My wife and I have talked about an overnight stay to hike the trails and such, maybe do a little mountain biking. We spent the night there in '07 returning from Colorado. I'm way too sun-sensitive to spend much time there, tho'.

The park roads can be ridden in about 10 minutes. The horse area looked like it might have some good trails if you're mounted on 4 legs.

Not trying to influence anyone - just maybe filling in the blanks best I can.

ron

Yea its neat, but a small park. Caprock canyons & Palo Duro canyon is just a little further.
I have a 6000 acre deer lease in between CB and Cap. Rock N. Of Rotan on the Salt Fork Brazos River. I usually go camp there, ride around with my M1A slung & try to corner hogs or run them off the side of a cliff indian style. I have wiped out carrying the rifle, but its a tough ole gun & some compressed air will shine her up.
If you wanna try that sometime I could use some help erecting a 20' deer blind here in a month or so.

Back