• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Best bike insurance company?

Reaction score
I am in the process of procuring my first bike in the US and thus shopping around for the best bike insurance.

Which company do you use or would you suggest?

I use Gieco but by the grace of our Lord have never needed them so no comment on their real worth.

There is no “best” bike insurance company. Just whatever works for you. Kind of like what is the best Motorcycle tire.

Dairyland and Progressive are two of the bigger insurers for motorcycles although most of the major auto insurance companies offer coverage as well.

Wifey is with Geico, so will check them out. Just wanted to obtain my Texas driver's licence first - makes life a lot easier.

My experience is that some insurers might offer more comprehensive coverage or better priced products than others, hence my question.

When I was looking for insurance, I found Progressive to be the cheapest as well as best bargain compared to the others I researched.

Now how they do with claims, I have no idea, but I only have liability (with towing) on mine.

Been super happy with Progressive. Their website is very well done & easy to make changes on, when we've claimed (albeit cars not bikes) everything was handled very efficiently.

Plus they were the cheapest.

You'll have to try them all to find the best price. Pricing formulas are crazier than alchemy. I can tell you, though, that I've been with Progressive for several years. When I was hit in 2010 and the car's insurance company refused to pay up, Progressive stood by me and gave me monthly updates for over 6 months before finally winning in arbitration.

I was able to find a substationally lower price going through a broker than to progressive direct. Evem though the broker works though progressive. Go figure.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I was able to find a substationally lower price going through a broker than to progressive direct. Evem though the broker works though progressive. Go figure.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I’ve had that same experience. I always do an online quote, then go to the local agent. The local agent has always beaten the online quote for the same coverage.

As others have said, try several. Progressive, Geico, Dairyland, Esurance are popular choices but I found them rather expensive to insure the VFR or the FB6 when I owned it. I ended up going with American Modern Insurance for price. No claims yet since I've started riding so.......knock on the monitor.

Every insurance company, representative and agent are your best friends ... till you submit a claim.

That's when you find out how focused they are on their bottom line and not your best interest.

I suggest you contact the agent handling your other insurance needs, such as homeowners.
Bundling all insurance at one place can yield cheaper rates.

Last edited:
Thanks gents, I take note of your inputs.

Companies differ in price, coverage, service, processing of claims and likeliness of awarding a claim - some better than others. I prefer to always first ask those who have been through the mill.

Maybe we should ask which insurance companies have left you high and dry when you did need to make a claim!! At least that would tell you who to avoid!!?

Fortunately I have never needed to make a claim so have no horror stories to share!!

Gary

I am new in the US, thus have no experience with any of the insurers, hence my question.

if you are new to the US, be aware that when you purchase vehicle insurance you purchase a contract where the insurance will pay up to a certain amount usually $250K, you are responsible for anything after that!! Whilst this covers most accidents, if you paralize someone, you could be paying out a lot of money yourself to cover their compensation!! I am European and am used to my insurance NOT having a maximum payout, you might want to consider also getting an umbrella policy (these are usually fairly cheap and give additional coverage to ~$1M)..

Gary

Back