• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

BMW R9T is $7,000 Better than a R1100R ?

Reaction score
I love the new BMW R Nine T.

It would be a perfect bike for running to Lowe's for hardware, or riding to work on nice days.

Problem is, those rascals are still $10,000 on the secondary market.

Meanwhile, a low-mileage creampuff R1100R can be had for around $3,000.

I'm just not seeing the R9T as $7,000 better. Maybe I'm just old.

ijG4YNN.jpg

Well my first thought is neither one will carry much hardware or any lumber so its a poor Lowes vehicle choice, It will also be tough to carry that extra bag
of potting soil your wife texts you to bring home while you are there:trust:

Two I also dont see the 7K difference other than going to a conventional
front suspension which on a naked style bike makes all the cosmetic difference
in the world, as in my opinion the R1100R is not a good looking bike.

To me any motorcycle you own should make you turn and smile just looking at it as you walk away

I've owned five oilheads (1100 and 1150) so I'm maybe a little biased. The R1100R has a great powerplant (unless you're a horsepower junky) and there's a model called the R1100RL that is the cat's meow from that period. The idea that a R9T is better than 3 R1100R s is a no-brainer to me. I often invent a reason to go "to Lowe's" just to get a ride in (tube of caulk, anyone?). IMHO, save the 7k for day trips for the next several YEARS.
Little story, several years ago I had a R100GSPD that I had paid $3200 for. I stopped in a small local shop in my hometown; there was a fellow there with a "chopper" that he had over 40K dollars in; he was bragging about blowing the baffles out of the exhaust and how they cost over 150 dollars to replace. I remember thinking "hmmm, if I could find 12 R100gs(es) for 40 thousand bucks, would I buy one custom bike instead?"

I think the 1100/1150Rs are better looking bikes. I miss my 1150R.

I've got a R1100RT and and almost every week I see a different bike I really would like. Then it's never more than marginally better than the RT for practical purposes. Go for the R1100R and not have to worry about someone bumping it in a parking lot.

The $7K difference would make it easy for me to decide.

Knowing nothing about BMW bikes, I like the looks of the blue one better (looks to be the older one?).

On the black one, I don't like spoke wheels, don't care for the gold forks, and don't care at all for the look of the seat/rear fender.

Where are you finding a "creampuff" R1100R for $3000?

Knowing nothing about BMW bikes, I like the looks of the blue one better (looks to be the older one?).

On the black one, I don't like spoke wheels, don't care for the gold forks, and don't care at all for the look of the seat/rear fender.

Where are you finding a "creampuff" R1100R for $3000?

Man...you described my thoughts almost exactly. I see things in both that I like better than the other, but there’s no way I’d pay the premium for the R9T.

That's about as good a deal as anyone could find for two wheeled adult transportation. I'm surprised about the clutch though. They normally go between 75 and 100K before getting thin. Good find.
Yeah, a clutch @ 23,000 miles is odd.
Also, what is up with the red rear fender? Not a cream puff, but not bad.

But show up with ~$2300 and see what happens.

Last edited:
The question is, would you regret spending the extra money if you bought it, or would you regret not spending the extra money every time you look at the 1100?

The R9T will have a substantially better engine, and transmission. The final drive improvements may be subject for debate, but I'd rather have the newer version personally.

I'm a fan of the R1200R, but I wish it had that beautiful silver-finished engine like the earlier bikes.

What is special about the RL ?

I remember hearing something about that back when I had an R11, but I don't recall what it was.
I think it was kind of a retro version with black tank with white pin stripes, extra chrome, different seat and and spoked wheels.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I have a 1999 BMW R1100R ABS and I positively love it. Purchased it last year for $2550. 17,000 miles, basically stock. Gets a consistent 47 mpg, pulls like the proverbial train, and gets me where I need to go in comfort and style, whether in town or on the twisties. I'm sure there are other great bikes out there, but I have great trust in my Beemer. Looking for a 2010 R1200RT but people I talk to say the ride improvement won't be significant.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 314
Howdy stranger! Good to hear from you! :wave:

https://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/mcy/d/bmw-2004-r1050r-ready-to-ride/6475782427.html

28000 miles
Clutch replaced 5k miles ago.

2600 dollars. No affiliation with the seller.

Judging by the condition of the bike and the crash bars, I am betting that the clutch has seen a HARD life... This bike screams beater to me.

I like big twins not bricks, but holy cow, these prices are insane. I should buy this on General Principle...

b06mdVA.png

https://collegestation.craigslist.org/mcy/d/2004-bmw-k1200-rs/6468877396.html

A mature man could buy this bike, put a thousand dollars worth of consumables into it, and have a nice motorcycle he could ride to Lowe's for the rest of his life.

:tab I remember shopping for a first bike with Snoopster years ago. Her budget was $1500-2000. We found a LOT of bikes in that price range, but they would immediately need another $500-1K put into them just to take care of all the odds and ends that had been neglected. Also, none of them were "pretty" to her :-P I knew going in that this would be an issue, but it took showing her several bikes in person before she understood that it would be better to put in that extra $500-1K on the purchase of the bike up front to get one in better condition that she could ride immediately and not have to work on it first. That extra bit of money got her a brand new left over GS 500 with a warranty.

:tab While the second bike above is not brand new, it is a great example of what I was describing about spending just a little bit more to get a MUCH better bike.

Howdy stranger! Good to hear from you!

You too! :mrgreen:

The MC Fever is hitting me again this spring.

I hear you about spending a bit more. The one below is only $500 more.

You and I both remember standing at the dealership looking at these bikes sparkly-new with a ~$15,000 price tag hanging off the handlebar.

Now we can get 90% of that bike at 20% the cost. Bargain!

CmcWdW1.png

I remember watching guys pay for those awesome hard cases and seats like that. Ouch!

9200 miles. [emoji852][emoji852]

That's not even 600 miles a year. Poor bike. At least it looks like its been garaged.

I love my 2003 K1200RS. Keep the fluids clean and they will run forever.

Dave.

9200 miles. [emoji852][emoji852]

That's not even 600 miles a year. Poor bike. At least it looks like its been garaged.

:tab Yeah, that blows my mind. People like this always seem to come out of the woodwork when I try to sell the same bike for MUCH more than they want with MANY more miles on it :doh: They vanish like roaches when the light comes on when I want to buy one of those same bikes... :twitch:

Back