• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Bike stumbles down q.

Reaction score
I've noticed that my bike's power shuts down over 5k rpms. If I'm still on throttle, it coughs, then gets sudden power and continues up to 6.5-7k, then coughs again, and so on.
I don't remember if it was always the case as I normally upshift below 5 k.
So is that because the torque ends at that rpms, or something is not normal? 2007 1250s with 44k + miles on it.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Update.
As I rode from work, I tried to rev it again in upper RPM's but that haven't happened. I just filled up the tank.
So it happens occasionally, and now I remembered even on a highway in 6th gear when I needed to pass at 75-80 mph it suddenly bogged down on me. I'm starting to suspect that it happens when there's less than half tank of fuel.

I'll pup the pump and check the filer.
Thank for the tip.

Last edited:
Sure does sound like the internal screen filter in the fuel pump assembly, had exactly these symptoms.

Basically there is a gradual build up of a varnish like substance that needs to be scraped of the filter, piece of exposed strands of heavy gauge wire poked down the hole and a liberal flush with carb cleaner did it for me, no problems for the past 5,000kms.

There should be a How-To on here somewhere, someone will probably point it out soon.

Thanks Barry.
I'll take a look how it is. Either will clean it or ger a mew one.

The problem with the small internal filter is that it's on the high pressure side of the fuel pump. You just can't install a standard fuel filter in the line from the pump to replace the small strainer.

Any replacement in line filter would need to have high pressure fittings as well as being able to withstand the pressure itself without impinging on the fuel flow to the injectors. Not sure about you, but having extra connectors in the fuel line sitting between me an a hot motor is not an enhancement I'd like to consider :eek2:

The cleaning of the strainer is very simple, and once you have done it a couple of times you can have the pump out of the tank, cleaned and back on the road in less than 30 minutes, takes me longer to change the oil filter :-?.

I think cleaning this internal strainer is something that should be added to every 10,000 km service.

The problem with the small internal filter is that it's on the high pressure side of the fuel pump. You just can't install a standard fuel filter in the line from the pump to replace the small strainer.

Any replacement in line filter would need to have high pressure fittings as well as being able to withstand the pressure itself without impinging on the fuel flow to the injectors. Not sure about you, but having extra connectors in the fuel line sitting between me an a hot motor is not an enhancement I'd like to consider :eek2:

The cleaning of the strainer is very simple, and once you have done it a couple of times you can have the pump out of the tank, cleaned and back on the road in less than 30 minutes, takes me longer to change the oil filter :-?.

I think cleaning this internal strainer is something that should be added to every 10,000 km service.
Would you rather get a new one or clean the old is good enough?

The problem is you just can't get the small screen, it's part of a larger assembly, and thats if you can find it anywhere that still has stock, last time I checked it was about $80 plus delivery. 30 minutes and a bit of carb cleaner is a cheaper option.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Update:

I was wrong on the price it was US$136.88 plus delivery :eek2: :

fuel_r10.jpg

The mesh lives down this little hole, you can also see the expensive custom-made tool for cleaning it:

img_2111.jpg

Here is an interesting thread on an external filter that the V-STROM lads put together, not Bandit, but close enough to give you some ideas: https://www.vstrom.info/Smf/index.php/topic,6105.0.html

BTW those Bandit fuel pumps you find on eBay is just the motorised pump unit and it does not include the fuel regulator module that houses the micro strainer.

Last edited:
So I changed the fuel filter, but the problem didn't go away. But the strange thing, I noticed that it's doing that only when the tank is half full or less.
It will try to cut-of and stutter at any gear close to 5k and up, at 2 bars and below.

I've raised that thread from a year ago, as this problem with power cutting resumed again.
Last year I've changed the fuel filter and the problem is gone for some short time. Then the power started to cut off again on 45-5000k.
It's more pronounced if trying to pass or accelerate more rapidly.
Now, when I put a seafoam or other fuel lines cleaners, the problem is going away. But after a 2 or 3 fill ups without the substance, it starts again.

I don't have a desire to replace the fuel filter every 2 months or so, nor to add seafoam every other fill up.(half bottle per tank).

Is there any other solution to it? Replace the entire fuel pump? But where's the guaranty it won't reoccur.

This may do nothing, but have you replaced the spark plugs recently...just to rule this out? When my motor was acting like it was not getting enough fuel when getting on it at higher speeds, I replaced both the spark plugs AND the fuel filter, and though I attribute my issue to the very dirty filter, nonetheless it has run flawlessly ever since, for many miles and since well over a year.

Even if it turns out not to help, at least your plugs are fresh and new, and you won't have to worry about this for awhile.

I replaced plugs about 20k miles ago. But I doubt plugs are a problem as it went away when replaced the fuel filter.

This may seem overly simple but what about the fuel you're putting in it? Do you tend to buy your fuel at the same place, if so change brands, if it's cheap (walmart etc) try name brand etc. Has your area switched to "winter blend" fuels? Did the bike set without being ridden? You could do a lot worse than completely draining your tank and putting in known fresh fuel. The fuel you buy now is not the fuel of even ten years ago this stuff is horrible.

Thanks for the fuel pump link I could have saved about $500.00 if I had found that in my searching. Still, thanks it will be handy in the future I am sure. The Suzuki filter is like $70.00 for the Strom so it could be pretty handy.

This may seem overly simple but what about the fuel you're putting in it? Do you tend to buy your fuel at the same place, if so change brands, if it's cheap (walmart etc) try name brand etc. Has your area switched to "winter blend" fuels? Did the bike set without being ridden? You could do a lot worse than completely draining your tank and putting in known fresh fuel. The fuel you buy now is not the fuel of even ten years ago this stuff is horrible.
90% of the time I fill out at BP on the way to work about every other day. If on a trips I do at all different stations, but it never change. I noticed this behavior about 2 years ago at about over 40k miles. Replaced the fuel filter. Was good for about 3 months then started again. Fuel cleaners do help but only if I constantly (every other fill up) mix them in. Without the additives bike is running good below 4.5-5k rpm's, but above that it'll start to cut out.
I may try changing the plugs again (although it's a bit of a p-i-t-a) but I have no confidence that the problem will go away.

Ok, the sage continues... I cleaned the fuel tank with Evaporast (some black residue still remained though), replaced fuel filter and the pump (cylinder). Replaces the spark plugs. The problem not only remains but got worse:
When I start riding, at first 5-8 minutes it runs beautifully. After that it bogs down bad. In any speed any rpms. Just get on gas and it cuts offs.
My last thoughts, maybe fuel pressure regulator, clogged injectors, or a software problem? I'd start from first. Does anyone know how to check fuel pressure?

Back