Forum Jump

Old 10-08-2018, 09:45 PM   #161
StromXTc
Forum Supporter

Re: 50CC ride attempt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas T View Post
What was the total WHAT for this 50 CC?
$$$, moolah, bones, dinero, cashola to rock-an-rola.
I'm ruined for work. Thinking of blue skies and dirt roads

Last edited by StromXTc; 10-08-2018 at 09:48 PM.
StromXTc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 10:34 PM   #162
Texas T
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by StromXTc View Post
$$$, moolah, bones, dinero, cashola to rock-an-rola.
For just the 50 CC the cost is above. The only thing to add to that would be the hotel in Kerrville (probably about $90) and misc small purchases of jerky, 5 Hour Energy, water ($20).

In addition to that would be two fill-ups in Chandler AZ when I left and a refill in Yuma before reaching San Diego (so about $25). Two nights in the hotel in San Diego (although I left at midnight on day 2) so that's another $200 and one meal of about $10 and another $10 on misc snacks.

Upon reaching JAX I already had the wife installed in the hotel, and we spent an additional night there for me to recuperate, so another 300+ for that and dinner with friends the second night. Oh, and I forgot the airfare to fly her from PHX to JAX; probably $500-$600?

The next two nights were in TN with friends so just $20 or so for pizza and snacks.

The next four nights were in Branson at my timeshare, so $0 for lodging and then another $100 or so for food. The Tommy James tickets had previously been paid for, but that was another couple hundred for the show and dinner.

The next night in Wichita was one hotel and dinner with friends - about $150.

Canyon TX the next night and dinner with a friend - about $150.

Albuq the next night and dinner with friends - about $150.

Show Low the next 2 nights and dinner with my sister - About $55,000 since she talked me into buying a retirement home in her park. I saw it Friday afternoon, made an offer Friday night, the offer was accepted on Saturday, and by the following Saturday the title was registered in my name.

So I'll let you add up the totals.

It's not the kind of trip I can afford to do very often. Other than the Texas trip next week I have nothing else planned for the rest of the year.

Next year will be the possible BBG so that's just gas and time.

April 1 will be the start of the next Tour Of Honor season so I'll be doing a SS1k that night. Since Apr 1 is a Monday I'll stage on Sunday which means Sunday morning I'll probably be somewhere other than home and leave the hotel at midnight that night, finishing up somewhere else in the state and staying in a hotel there for the night. Then depending upon where that takes me I'll either go back home, or if I'm staged near a state border I'll move to the next state and starting tracking down sites in that state. Chances are that I'll be gone for the week.

In June I hope to be able to have enough time to fly to Boston, rent a Wing and travel the New England states with my wife for about ten days. We both have a lot of family back there.

In Sept I'll ride to the annual Tour Of Honor meet in Minnesota (fly the wife to Minneapolis) so I'll probably do a certified ride or two during that week.

Oh, the ride to Texas next week will be a SS1K, following by a structured SS1K on Fri/Sat, and then on Sunday I'll do another SS1K to get home because I have a class to teach on Monday morning.

TMI???

* Brian & Brenda * IBA 50053 & 50354 * IBA Atomic 1000 SS1K Founding riders * Tour Of Honor riders since 2012 * 2002 Goldwing

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." - Saint Augustine
Texas T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 10:44 PM   #163
Texas T
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxerjasen View Post
Average riders look at Iron Butt Riders like they are crazy. Iron Butt Riders know there's a whole nuther level of crazy out there. Those guys plan their vacation time around how many certs they can complete. They plan out rides that aren't even certified.

Greg Rice is known within the LD riding community as the BBG King; he has done 50 of them.

But he recently did something that no one else has come close to. He did a 50 CC in UNDER 30 hours. 29H 23M to be exact. No sleep. No stopping for food other than one quick 30 min stop. Just fuel and bio breaks. He carries an aux fuel tank so that really does make a difference in your overall moving average.

His overall average was about 74 mph.

Read the details here: http://www.gregrice.com/rides/gregrice-2923.html

The link to his full website is at the bottom of that page, and if you even have a "slight" interest in LD Riding, I highly encourage you to spend a few hours on his site. You will learn a LOT.

* Brian & Brenda * IBA 50053 & 50354 * IBA Atomic 1000 SS1K Founding riders * Tour Of Honor riders since 2012 * 2002 Goldwing

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." - Saint Augustine
Old 10-11-2018, 11:44 PM   #164
Texas T
Forum Supporter

This is next Friday's route:

Leaving Allen at 6 am. I need to be back there by 5:59 am on Saturday.

If you live near any of these sites you're welcome to sit and watch a bunch of crazed riders show up, grab a rally flag, get a photo, remount, and head for the next location. Feel free to say hi, but everyone will be on a mission so please don't try striking up a conversation if the rider appears to be in a hurry, or don't get your knickers in a knot if you do try talking with them and they seem like they want to just get away from you.

Last edited by Texas T; 10-11-2018 at 11:49 PM.
Old 10-12-2018, 09:15 AM   #165
jkelley82

I would have thought the goldwing got better than 31 mpg. Guess it depends alot on speed and wind though
Old 10-12-2018, 09:21 AM   #166
jkelley82

This ride is very impressive especially with the weather you had to deal with.
Old 10-13-2018, 10:01 AM   #167
Texas T
Forum Supporter

Up to about 75 the Wing does okay on mileage; above that it drinks gas like a wino drinking MD 20/20 after getting his welfare check.