• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

KTM 1190 Heat Reduction Advise

copb8

Most Ignored
Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Bart
Last Name
Nale
I picked up a 2015 KTM adventure R from a TWT forum member recently. It's an amazing bike but it's definitely HOT. Reminds me of my '04 FJR but worse I think. I knew the big KTM's had this issue before I made the purchase so I'm prepared to address it.

I've spent HOURS on advrider trying to glean the most recent up to date information on mitigating the issue but, holy smoke, that thread is HUGE and a lot of the data is older. :giveup:

I already ordered an insulated rear header pipe and understand I may need side panels and possible a change in the air intake plus ???

I'm posting here in hopes there's some owners with experience and advise that I can use without the advrider beat-down.

Ride faster...? :nana:

You might shoot a PM to Ouroboros here on TWT. I can't remember the exact year of his bike, but I seem to recall him mentioning dealing with the heat issue on his bike.

I would really like to hear what you find out. I am selling my Goldwing at the moment and can’t decide between an 1190 adv R or a Yamaha 1200 super Tenere. They are 2 very different bikes and I have a preference for the KTM, but am concerned by the many comments about heat from the exhaust system! The Yamaha will probably more fun for general exploring and road riding, but the KTM is the king for off road riding..

Gary

I would really like to hear what you find out. I am selling my Goldwing at the moment and can’t decide between an 1190 adv R or a Yamaha 1200 super Tenere. They are 2 very different bikes and I have a preference for the KTM, but am concerned by the many comments about heat from the exhaust system! The Yamaha will probably more fun for general exploring and road riding, but the KTM is the king for off road riding..

Gary

Just FYI, I'll be selling my FARKLED OUT 11K Super Tenere with warranty. Still putting the ad together but should post it within the week.

Gary

Will you be riding 2-up or solo mostly?

The KTM Power Parts seat seems to be better insulated than the stock seat ... on a 1290SA at any rate. I said better ... not fixed.

The fabric seems to allow better air flow between me and the seat. When I notice it getting hot, I spread my knees and get some air flow. Seems to work better. I said better ... not fixed.

The SA already has the insulated header pipe. But am considering sending the header out for ceramic coating. I know from my racing days, coated headers dramatically dropped under hood temps. I'm thinking it will make it better. I said better ... not fixed.

Individually? Better. Combined ... I hope it is fixed.

Probably a good idea to get the new header ceramic coated as soon as it comes in.

Any pointers on who does that?

Gary

Here's the link to my ad here: http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=115599

Thanks Bart, I have to sell the wing first!! :clap: but will definitely take a closer look at your bike once it is sold.

For the earlier question, I will be mostly riding solo, my wife rides her own bike. I have a CRF450X that is road legal that I use for most of my dirt riding, just thought the KTM would be a fun weapon to have!! Need to organize test rides on both the KTM and Yamaha to see what they feel like. Of course until the wing sells, nothing is happening!!

Gary

Specialized Performance Coating INC.
1107 California Lane #209
Arlington, Texas 76015
(817) 274-1947

I used them years ago on an exhaust for a CMC race car.
Quality work, quick turn-around and reasonably priced.

Specialized Performance Coating INC.
1107 California Lane #209
Arlington, Texas 76015
(817) 274-1947

I used them years ago on an exhaust for a CMC race car.
Quality work, quick turn-around and reasonably priced.

I have used them as well. Not always quick turn anymore and may only spray black. They do all of D&D's ceramic coating and are really busy most of the time. Price is good, quality is awesome.

I have used them as well. Not always quick turn anymore and may only spray black. They do all of D&D's ceramic coating and are really busy most of the time. Price is good, quality is awesome.
Ok, this may be really stupid question. Does the ceramic costing go on the outside of the pipe?. I guess that would be my expectation. If that's the case I'll need to see if I can remove the insulation on the upgraded pipe I bought.

Or do I have it all wrong?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Ok, this may be really stupid question. Does the ceramic costing go on the outside of the pipe?. I guess that would be my expectation. If that's the case I'll need to see if I can remove the insulation on the upgraded pipe I bought.

Or do I have it all wrong?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Typically goes on the outside and inside

Last edited:
I own a 15 1190 and really don't have much of a problem with heat. I do notice it on really hot days if I'm wearing jeans instead of my normal riding pants. I did add the extra parts that are suppose to redirect the engine heat, that come stock on the 1290, with the exception of the insulated header.

I know these are suppose to be adventure bikes and everybody feels the need to protect it with a massive skid plate, some larger than others. But when I look at these aftermarket skid plates and how they cover the engine and exhaust, I can't help but think they trap heat and are a big contributor to the heat problem some folks experience. I'm running the small one that came from the factory, since mine only see's asphalt and two-track.

This is a list of the KTM factory parts I ordered that come standard on the 1290 and 16 1190's, that they added to redirect the heat:

60308053144 Air Deflector Kit Seat $20.89
60308056000 Air Deflector Fan $10.49
0081050181 x 2 Screw for Plastic K50x18 T20 $.79
0035100509S AH-Collar Screw M10x50 ISA45 $6.29
60308056010 Retaining Sleeve $15.39

Enjoy your new 1190, they're a Hoot...

This is a list of the KTM factory parts I ordered that come standard on the 1290 and 16 1190's, that they added to redirect the heat:

I have searched ADV for the past hour looking for a post I saw a few weeks ago that referenced a KTM part available in europe that is a "tray" that sits between the seat and frame, specifically to address the heat "issue".

But I sorta agree with Rsquared ... the heat and tolerance to it is a very personal and subjective.

I own a 15 1190 and really don't have much of a problem with heat. I do notice it on really hot days if I'm wearing jeans instead of my normal riding pants. I did add the extra parts that are suppose to redirect the engine heat, that come stock on the 1290, with the exception of the insulated header.

I know these are suppose to be adventure bikes and everybody feels the need to protect it with a massive skid plate, some larger than others. But when I look at these aftermarket skid plates and how they cover the engine and exhaust, I can't help but think they trap heat and are a big contributor to the heat problem some folks experience. I'm running the small one that came from the factory, since mine only see's asphalt and two-track.

This super is useful. Thanks for taking the time to post it!

Last edited:
Well I ordered all of RSquared parts yesterday. Depending on the level of effort to install the insulated header I may put it on first uncoated and see how it feels. But if it's a pain to do then I'll get it coated first to save the aggravation.

Everyone talks about the Wings side panels but they aren't that great looking IMO. There are carbon fiber versions but they're $$$. I see these mentioned and wonder if they're as effective as the Wings.

https://www.ebay.com/i/252975169909?chn=ps&dispItem=1

Thanks Mitch. I'll post the question in that thread if this part fits the 1190/R

Fit? If it's remotely close, God invented exacto knives, zip ties and duct tape just for this reason.

:trust:
:chug:

Back