• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

KTM 1190 Heat Reduction Advise

I have a B&B skid plate mounted, just to toss that into the mix.

I'm quite surprised to hear you still have a hot seat after everything you've done.
KTM PP ergo seat, insert and wrapped header pipe all seem to significantly reduce the amount of heat transferred to my rear end.

Rode about 250 miles today through Strawn and points north and east. Speeds varied from 80 on the pavement to 35 on gravel roads. RPM was typically 4500-5500. Seat was never uncomfortable.

Yours is a 15, right? Could there be that much difference in radiant heat?

Yep, it's a 2015.

I just ordered the non-heated (figured THAT's not necessary ) Ergo seat front and back an hour ago. When I get it I'll put some type of heat barrier on the bottom of it before installing. My side panels should also be in by then as well. Last trick will be the Rottweiler air intake. I figure it HAS to be better at that point.

I REALLY want all this to work because I love the bike. I just know I loved my '04 FJR as well but lost some of the joy due to the constant heat.

My Ergo seat has barrier already installed.
I was prepared to add more, though.

For me it wasn't the heat through the seat that was bothersome, it was the heat on the legs that was the problem. This spring I am going to remove the CAT and see what difference it makes.

Thanks JTS. I went through that entire thread and I think I'm following most of their suggestions.

I looked at the CAT when I had the skid plate off and was installing the rear header pipe. I don't have the tools or skill to cut that thing open, gut it and then re-weld it. I'll either have to take it to a muffler shop or buy the Arrow full headers which is big $$$'s

'Hopefully' some of the other things I'm doing will make it livable enough to not mess with the CAT.

If you end up gutting it let us know how effective it was.

Will do, I noticed that Rottweiler also sells new exhausts for our bike that doesn't have a cat in it and you can order it ceramic coated to aid in heat reduction. I think it was around $800. I may put it on my Christmas list.

I don't have that type, but just from looking at the pictures it looks like one end of the smaller bracket pieces mount to the center hole of the heat deflector. The other end of the smaller bracket mounts to the bike.

I don't have that type, but just from looking at the pictures it looks like one end of the smaller bracket pieces mount to the center hole of the heat deflector. The other end of the smaller bracket mounts to the bike.

Well that's what I figured but for the life of me I don't see where on the bike it mounts.

I've flipped it over, turned it the other direction, rotated it around the space and see no way it attaches. I look at the brackets and can see the hole and threads for the cover mount to the bracket simple enough. But there's a hole on the other end of the bracket as well and that makes me think it mounts to some existing bolt on the bike.

Does it just clamp to the frame by fasting the two pieces together?

Does it just clamp to the frame by fasting the two pieces together?

That's what I'd think but I haven't worked out how that could work yet.

I know I probably have a big 'duh' moment coming when I either work it out or someone gives me the heads up. :doh:

Ok, I figured it out. Bought the needed hardware and the covers are now installed on the bike. In the end had to remove the lower passenger peg bolts and replace with longer bolts that protrude past the frame long enough to slide the cover bracket over and put on a washer and nylon lock nut. Took me longer to work it out than it should but at least it'd done now.

Haven't ridden it since the installation because it's so cold out but hopefully will have an opportunity in the next few weeks. Not holding out much, IF any, hope that this will contribute that much but maybe I'll be surprised.

There's one more thing I'd like to try and that's to install the Rottweiler intake. Apparently it opens up the area under the tank and allows airflow to pass through that area and into the rear header area.

The last option would be to gut the catalytic converter. If that doesn't work then I need to decide if I can live with whatever heat is left.

Attachments

• 2017-12-30 14.05.03.jpg
    2017-12-30 14.05.03.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 418
  • 2017-12-30 14.04.50.jpg
    2017-12-30 14.04.50.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 277
Last edited:
Hey Bart, I stopped by my local KTM dealer today and the new 2018 1190s have some wind deflectors that are located up front beside the motor that directs the wind along side the motor and keeps you legs cool. The owner is a friend of mine and he let me take one for a 30 mile ride this morning. I didn't notice any heat except when stopped.
The bike didn't have heat shields on the sides or have the insulated exhaust pipe that comes off the motor either.

I didn't take pictures but I ordered some other stuff and I'll try and get some pics next week when my parts get in.

Hey Bart, I stopped by my local KTM dealer today and the new 2018 1190s have some wind deflectors that are located up front beside the motor that directs the wind along side the motor and keeps you legs cool. The owner is a friend of mine and he let me take one for a 30 mile ride this morning. I didn't notice any heat except when stopped.
The bike didn't have heat shields on the sides or have the insulated exhaust pipe that comes off the motor either.

I didn't take pictures but I ordered some other stuff and I'll try and get some pics next week when my parts get in.

Very interested to see the pics and hear about the results.

Couple of weeks ago I installed the Rottweiler Intake, carbon caster and SAS removal. Haven't had a chance to ride it since the change and it'll probably be 3+ weeks before I get a chance. I hope it make a difference because at this point I've done most of the recommended upgrades with the exception of the catalytic converter removal.

Do the deflectors look like this:

https://goo.gl/images/GkmmmT

If so you can buy those for the older bikes. I have them but haven't install them because they seemed a bit redundant with the carbon fiber infills I installed.

Wow! They're huge! That should push some air through for sure. Probably not too much help for when you're in traffic or standing still but still useful.

I wonder if they can work with the R's upper crash bars?

It looks like you may be able to bolt those on with the crash bars, but they are almost the exact shape as the lower crash bars. I think we can zip tie some stiff plastic yard sign or light gauge flashing onto the lower crash bar and experiment with it.

You are right they won't make any difference when sitting still, but I would expect any engine between your legs to feel hot if there was no air flow.

It looks like you may be able to bolt those on with the crash bars, but they are almost the exact shape as the lower crash bars. I think we can zip tie some stiff plastic yard sign or light gauge flashing onto the lower crash bar and experiment with it.

You are right they won't make any difference when sitting still, but I would expect any engine between your legs to feel hot if there was no air flow.

I guess the reason my Super Tenere was so much cooler was that both cylinders were slanted forward with the exhaust exiting under forward as well. Unlike this bike with the one jug and pipe directly under the riders seat. Also, it's a far more highly tuned bike.

Everything's a compromise so I'm probably just going to have to live with it.

Just curious, do GS's have the same heat issues?

Back