Go Back   TWT Forums > General Discussion > General

Notices

Forum Jump

Old 01-12-2018, 11:05 AM   #21
weekend_warrior

Re: Ticket dismissal class

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Spank Daddy View Post
Its all about the $$$$$$, ask for deferred adjudication, pay the fees and move on with your life. For me, my time is worth money, I always just paid them what they wanted and moved on.
Yep, this...... Same with me. Deferred adjudication. Pay your money and move along.
06 KTM450EXC (plated) - For Sale
weekend_warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 12:11 PM   #22
SilverBullet

For any possibly unaware, deferred adjudication has risks. Another moving violation during your deferred period (usually 3-6 months) then the ticket reverts back to original points and fine. Therefore I'll only do deferred if DDC is not an option. Better to have a guaranteed clean ticket wipe and less money out of pocket. Online DDC is very painless.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk
2002 KTM 300 EXC
1974 Suzuki TM400
SilverBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 03:20 PM   #23
TWTim

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBullet View Post
For any possibly unaware, deferred adjudication has risks. Another moving violation during your deferred period (usually 3-6 months) then the ticket reverts back to original points and fine.
Another thing I learned back in my I-go-150-MPH-everywhere-and-constantly-hire-a-lawyer-because-I-get-pulled-over-so-often days: A good ticket lawyer can tie up the second ticket until the deferment goes though.

2004 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

TIM KREITZ ADVENTURES
www.timkreitz.com
TWTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 07:20 PM   #24
bmcdonau

Last time I got a ticket, I asked the DA for deferred adjudication and got it. Drove carefully for 90 days.
Old 01-17-2018, 11:22 AM   #25
weekend_warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBullet View Post
For any possibly unaware, deferred adjudication has risks. Another moving violation during your deferred period (usually 3-6 months) then the ticket reverts back to original points and fine. Therefore I'll only do deferred if DDC is not an option. Better to have a guaranteed clean ticket wipe and less money out of pocket. Online DDC is very painless.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk
True, Last online DDC class I took was a beating though. I was a true waste of time. I'd rather not deal with it and take my chances adjudication. I did do the differed once and did get another ticket during the probation period. I wouldn't recommend it if you think you might get pulled over. It was pretty ridiculous and the cop was sneaky. I was super careful for the 6 months. This was in the last week. I did speed though. She was just a jerk about it and I was only going a few MPH over. They didn't catch the adjudication though. I didn't say anything and took the DDC to reduce the fine on the second ticket. Neither ticket ended up on my record luckily. Farther proof that they really don't care about you speeding, but want your money. YMMV.....
Old 01-17-2018, 11:23 AM   #26
weekend_warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWTim View Post
A good ticket lawyer can tie up the second ticket until the deferment goes though.

Yep, this....
Old 01-17-2018, 02:02 PM   #27
JQ1.0

I believe Deferred conditions are set by each individual jurisdiction. Some only require that you not receive another award in THEIR baliwick for a given period of time, 90 days, 6 mos or whatever. Awards received elsewhere may be of no concern. I believe the presiding jurisdiction are the only one reporting revocations. Either way conditions should be clearly defined in written correspondence. This is just the way I understand it, given my limited involvement in such matters. YMMV
Old 01-17-2018, 04:06 PM   #28
The Big Spank Daddy

You can get deferred as often as the court will give it, but on DDC like once a year. If you take DDC it will show up on your record is some sort of Data base where deferred doesn't. Also, I believe that if you take DDC and then get another ticket within the one year they may not give you deferred. Take Deferred first, then as a backup take DDC if you get caught again. Again, its all about the $$$$. I heard that most of the money goes to the state, where if you get deferred most of the $$$$ goes to the court. That's why they don't mind giving deferred.
The Big Spank Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 04:48 PM   #29
JQ1.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Spank Daddy View Post
You can get deferred as often as the court will give it, but on DDC like once a year. If you take DDC it will show up on your record is some sort of Data base where deferred doesn't. Also, I believe that if you take DDC and then get another ticket within the one year they may not give you deferred. Take Deferred first, then as a backup take DDC if you get caught again. Again, its all about the $$$$. I heard that most of the money goes to the state, where if you get deferred most of the $$$$ goes to the court. That's why they don't mind giving deferred.
This^^ Exactly the way I understand it.
Old 01-17-2018, 05:05 PM   #30
fabrauer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JQ1.0 View Post
This^^ Exactly the way I understand it.

I concur. I once had two tickets close together and took one driving class to dismiss both of them. Sent the ticket copy to one and the insurance discount copy to the other and all was well. This was years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
fabrauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 02:17 PM   #31
cdc
Registered Lurker
Forum Supporter

Found myself in the same situation, ticketed in Medina, TX and looking for the dismissal route.
Don't mind taking the course I am sure it will help.
The issue continues to be the non-existence of MOTC classes.

RWhitehouse, if you have the link to the e-class, I would like to check with the Court if they accept it.

ⓒⓓⓒ
'13 BMW K1600GT (Apr 5/13)
'12 BMW K1600GT (Gone Nov. 16/12): http://goo.gl/7YMaHq
'06 Yamaha FJR 1300AE-Sold
'04 Suzuki SV650-Sold
'82 Suzuki 500GS-Sold
'78 Yamaha SR500-Sold
cdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 03:39 PM   #32
RWhitehouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by weekend_warrior View Post
True, Last online DDC class I took was a beating though. I was a true waste of time. I'd rather not deal with it and take my chances adjudication. I did do the differed once and did get another ticket during the probation period. I wouldn't recommend it if you think you might get pulled over. It was pretty ridiculous and the cop was sneaky. I was super careful for the 6 months. This was in the last week. I did speed though. She was just a jerk about it and I was only going a few MPH over. They didn't catch the adjudication though. I didn't say anything and took the DDC to reduce the fine on the second ticket. Neither ticket ended up on my record luckily. Farther proof that they really don't care about you speeding, but want your money. YMMV.....
I thought you had to send in your DPS driver record with the DDC class to "prove" you didn't have any prior tickets or adjudications pending, that would disqualify from you getting the 1-a-year DDC dismissal.

The MSF e-course is pretty painless. Leave it running in another tab, click over every 5 minutes or so when you hear the video stop, answer a couple questions, hit play again, go back to whatever else you were doing. It's really basic stuff, unless you are a super new rider, nothing should be news to you. No guarantee every court will accept it, but for $20 and most of a Netflix movie, I'd take the chance before forking over $150 and an entire Saturday.
RWhitehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 07:17 PM   #33
Yeeha! Stephen

And after all is said and done.... buy yourself a good radar detector and learn the sounds that it makes for different situations. You love that investment.

MotoGP - Soap Opera for Men

"Why eat a burger when you can have pie?"
Ms Vicki 2002 @ Lost Maples Cafe, Utopia Tx
Yeeha! Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 09:12 AM   #34
Downs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeeha! Stephen View Post
And after all is said and done.... buy yourself a good radar detector and learn the sounds that it makes for different situations. You love that investment.
I use a combination of a RD and WAZE to keep the revenuers out of my pocket. I've slowed down quite a bit compared to my teen and early 20 years as well which I'm sure helps quite a bit.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

78 GS1000 (Tennessee Hillbilly)

03 TW200

08 MazdaSpeed3
Downs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 10:33 AM   #35
weekend_warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWhitehouse View Post
I thought you had to send in your DPS driver record with the DDC class to "prove" you didn't have any prior tickets or adjudications pending, that would disqualify from you getting the 1-a-year DDC dismissal.

The MSF e-course is pretty painless. Leave it running in another tab, click over every 5 minutes or so when you hear the video stop, answer a couple questions, hit play again, go back to whatever else you were doing. It's really basic stuff, unless you are a super new rider, nothing should be news to you. No guarantee every court will accept it, but for $20 and most of a Netflix movie, I'd take the chance before forking over $150 and an entire Saturday.
Been a while since I took one, but I've never had to submit any driving record or anything.
Old 04-04-2018, 04:15 PM   #36
Morgan Buchanan

I thought it was the opposite.. DDC first, deferred second. They don't let you do DDC if you're on deferred or some such. I have, years ago, done deferred within a year of doing a DDC. But hey..YMMV... LOL
Morgan Buchanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 09:03 PM   #37
CleatusJ

DDC is state controlled, DA is by county judge and may never be recorded elsewhere.
CleatusJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 08:17 AM   #38
MidlifeCrisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeeha! Stephen View Post
With so many cars equipped with blind spot detectors and smart cruise controls, all of which use microwave emitters, radar detectors are becoming practically useless. Last few times I used one, it was going off all over the places. Took me a while to figure out what's going on.

As for ticket dismissal, I took an Experienced Rider Course (ERC), as it was allowed explicitly on the ticket dismissal requirement letter I got at the court. You will have to check what it says SPECIFICALLY on your letter. When I brought the Certificate to finalize the dismissal, I had to explain it was allowed to no less than 3 different court people. Even the Judge was asking the court clerk if it was allowable.

No matter, it was fun taking the class. 6hrs or chasing cones in a parking lot sure beats taking a brain-dead DD class. Well... Laff Spot used to have a comedy DD hosted inside of America's Buffet. Instructor was a local pro comedian and really funny. Food was included. Sadly they don't offer it any more.
'15 Beta 300RR, '15 250XCF-W, '14 K1600GT, '12 VFR1200F, '05 GSXR600 (track) (Sold: '14 Trophy SE, '10 VFR1200, '11 Sprint GT, '14 ZX14R ABS, '13 S3R, '07 SV1000S, '09 C14 ABS, '08 RSV1000R Factory, '07 FZ1, '09 Sprint ST, '08 ZX10R, '08 S83)

Last edited by MidlifeCrisis; 04-06-2018 at 08:18 AM. Reason: typo
MidlifeCrisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 09:24 AM   #39
Johnf3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidlifeCrisis View Post
With so many cars equipped with blind spot detectors and smart cruise controls, all of which use microwave emitters, radar detectors are becoming practically useless. Last few times I used one, it was going off all over the places.
That may be an accurate statement with older or cheaper detectors, but there are plenty of high end detectors that filter out false alerts from all the driving "aids" that new cars have. On top of that, there are now apps (I run a V1 detector) that, through bluetooth, connect your phone and your detector together. The programming in the app quiets your detector and improves the performance on the bands (mostly Ka in Texas) and frequencies that law enforcement uses.

The situational awareness increase that my set up provides is far from practically useless. I am not a way-over-the-limit speeder but I will cruise up to 10-15 mph over depending on the traffic, which here in West Texas is often very light. My V1 goes everywhere I do when I hit the road.
Johnf3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 09:35 AM   #40
Downs

I run an older Belteonics i995 and I've yet to pick up any driving aids I know of. Most false alarms have been auto door openers which are x or k band. Nearly every patrol car that runs radar is running ka band out here.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

78 GS1000 (Tennessee Hillbilly)

03 TW200

08 MazdaSpeed3
Downs is online now   Reply With Quote