TWT Forums  

Go Back   TWT Forums > General Discussion > User Reviews of Bikes, Mods, Gear, etc,... > Bikes > Suzuki Bandits

Notices

Forum Jump

Old 05-26-2016, 11:51 AM   #141
Tundra Dweller

Re: 1250 Suspension Mods for Touring?

Quote:
Originally Posted by achesley View Post
Throttle sync and check engine mounting bolts and nuts.
Agreed. I checked my engine mounts and found some were WAY over torqued from the factory...and some had gotten loose.
I've started taking every Motorcycle I buy and loosening all the mounts (while supporting the motor) and tightening to spec in proper order.
I'm on my 4th Motorcycle doing this and it has helped with vibration every time.

2008 Bandit 1250 SA
2013 BMW GS 650 Sertao
1975 Norton Commando 850
1974 Kawasaki H-1 500
Yes I ride all four
Tundra Dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 05:06 AM   #142
Erema

You're right:
1) I pulled the chain
2) pulled the muffler bolts

Thank you guys helped me
Erema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 03:26 PM   #143
Footdragger

Ive banged and bounced around on backroads long enough on my 08 1250,Ive gold valved and re-sprung the forks,nice but the shock really hurts my back over sharp bumps. There's a sale going on full boat Ohlins with remote preload and remote reservoir. 1100.00
I may do that. Theres also the YSS on ebay for 360.00 delivered from UK. I hate to spend even 360.00 if it isnt a lot better then stock. Sumpins gonna happen pretty quick here though. Most aftermarket shocks it looks like reaching the pre-load rings is just about un-doable. Any other ideas?
Footdragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 08:08 PM   #144
t110

See #136 above. Strongly recommend the Cogent rear suspension unit. Those folks are very easy to deal with; if it helps your decision any, they use Ohlins springs. Preload is very easy to adjust with the bike on the centerstand.
t110
t110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 12:18 AM   #145
DoubleD

hey, t110 my setup for touring less saddle bags.
Attached Thumbnails
zzzx (2).jpg  

Last edited by DoubleD; 02-22-2017 at 12:19 AM.
DoubleD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 01:25 PM   #146
Footdragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by t110 View Post
See #136 above. Strongly recommend the Cogent rear suspension unit. Those folks are very easy to deal with; if it helps your decision any, they use Ohlins springs. Preload is very easy to adjust with the bike on the centerstand.
t110
Thanks for the response! How would you rate the "plush" factor on the Cogent? I like to zing around on backroads some but also do some long rides on the 1250. My lower back wont take the kicking of the oem shock.
Old 02-24-2017, 04:32 PM   #147
t110

It's probably best to keep suspension settings close to recommended. Here is a good how-to on that:
[instructions from Metrick Metal]
The rear suspension travel for the Bandit is 5.4 inches and most suspension manufacturers recommend using between 25 and 30 percent of the total suspension travel for rider sag on a street bike.

So to get an idea of where your at you need to first measure from the center of the axle to a referrance point directly above the axle with the bike on the center stand, so the shock is fully extended, then sit on the bike and have some measure from the center of the axle to the same referance point, and the differance between the two is your rider sag.

Use the dimensions below as a guide to see where your at, and remember increasing the preload does not increase the rate of the spring, it only increases the amount of force required to get the suspension moving.

25% of 5.4" = 1.35"
30% of 5.4" = 1.62"

What I made up for the Bandit so that I can check the amount of rider sag by myself is this plug that slips into the left end of the axle, and the slot allows me to hook the end of my tape measure into it which place the end of the tape measure directly in the center of the rear axle.

I then tape a piece of masking tape to the corner edge of the tailpiece directly above the rear axle and I put a felt pen line on it, then i have a small square mirror that I hang from the he back of my stool that I place next to the bike, than its easy for me to read the dimension of the tape measure against the felt pen line to see the amount of sag I have.
[end of instructions]
I haven't strayed too far from the settings Cogent provided for my calculated touring weight. If you're riding around lightly loaded, you can easily back off the preload at both ends: up front you just turn the screws on top of the forks out; in back the included spanner from Cogent works very well. It works even better if you remove the three socket head bolts for the left footpeg.
With my setup I just leave shock valving in one place, going with Dale's and Cogent's advice. It rides better loaded, in any event - could be called "plush" compared to stock. Or even better "controlled, unruffled".
t110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Footdragger View Post
Thanks for the response! How would you rate the "plush" factor on the Cogent? I like to zing around on backroads some but also do some long rides on the 1250. My lower back wont take the kicking of the oem shock.
t110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 09:20 PM   #148
Footdragger

Wow. I finally got the Cogent shock installed on my 08 1250,and the forks done with gold Valves and 1.1 springs. I cannot believe the abuse my lower back and shoulders took for 13,000 miles with the stock "suspension" I tend to ride rougher backroads and enjoy spinning it up around corners. The bike takes sharp bumps Much Better,and turns in to corners like a whole different bike. I had Joe the suspension guru set the gold valves in the forks to the softer end of the settings. Seems good kinda feels like 1 step stiffer springs might be good. I will add 20cc of oil per leg and see what that does.
I weigh 190 usually ride solo. Still need to finalize sag settings,but man o man that stock suspension is by far the weakest point on this bike. So much better and less painful. I think the 1250 is a keeper. With 23,000 miles on it its barely broken in.
Old 04-17-2017, 05:41 PM   #149
OSU55

Since you like to corner, raise the rear 1 to 1-1/4". Makes the bike feel like its 100#'s lighter. No stability issues at all - the Bandit has very conservative steering geometry.
OSU55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 08:13 PM   #150
neroneuman

Does anyone know the reason why Cogent springs from holeshot are 1.1 kg/mm irrespective of different rider weights?
neroneuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 10:14 AM   #151
Footdragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSU55 View Post
Since you like to corner, raise the rear 1 to 1-1/4". Makes the bike feel like its 100#'s lighter. No stability issues at all - the Bandit has very conservative steering geometry.
Just having the Cogent on the bike raises the rear some,just like the people at Cogent said it would.
If I raised it 1" or 1 and 1/4 I would be looking at re-doing the centerstand and kickstand.
Old 05-18-2017, 10:16 AM   #152
Footdragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by neroneuman View Post
Does anyone know the reason why Cogent springs from holeshot are 1.1 kg/mm irrespective of different rider weights?
They have 2 springs,I think if your over 220 or so you get the heavier spring. With easily adjustable pre load it seems to work fine on mine.
Old 05-18-2017, 04:23 PM   #153
brcol

Quote:
Just having the Cogent on the bike raises the rear some,just like the people at Cogent said it would.

If I raised it 1" or 1 and 1/4 I would be looking at re-doing the centerstand and kickstand.

I have the Cogent shock and Holeshot links that I run in the lowered position. With them in the high position it's crazy tall. I'd like some stock links to bring the back end up a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
brcol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 09:25 PM   #154
OSU55

Quote:
And the issue is..........? My side stand has ~1" block of black delrin screwed to it. Doesn't look too cool, but that's not why I ride. Just put a 1/2" thick piece of wood under the centerstand, problem solved. Don't overthink things.
OSU55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 10:22 PM   #155
Footdragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSU55 View Post
And the issue is..........? My side stand has ~1" block of black delrin screwed to it. Doesn't look too cool, but that's not why I ride. Just put a 1/2" thick piece of wood under the centerstand, problem solved. Don't overthink things.
It steers and works great as is. The only problem now Is I need a Cogent shock on my DR650. Ive got the DR oem shock gold valved and resprung but I can tell by riding the Bandit that the Cogent is a way better shock.
Old 01-09-2018, 09:52 AM   #156
brcol

Last night I started to put my forks back together with the new RaceTech springs. After reading the instructions several times, and even the Racetech suspension bible book a few times, I couldn't figure out the length of the spacers. I ended up going to the hardware store and buying a $.30 piece of PVC approximately the same size as the aluminum tube for the spacers. That way I could cut it what I thought was too long, and not ruin anything. To achieve 20mm of preload I ended up with a 4 3/4" spacer.
Old 01-11-2018, 08:36 AM   #157
Tundra Dweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by brcol View Post
Last night I started to put my forks back together with the new RaceTech springs. After reading the instructions several times, and even the Racetech suspension bible book a few times, I couldn't figure out the length of the spacers. I ended up going to the hardware store and buying a $.30 piece of PVC approximately the same size as the aluminum tube for the spacers. That way I could cut it what I thought was too long, and not ruin anything. To achieve 20mm of preload I ended up with a 4 3/4" spacer.
When I get home this weekend I'll check the Bandit log and see what length I used.

2008 Bandit 1250 SA
2013 BMW GS 650 Sertao
1975 Norton Commando 850
1974 Kawasaki H-1 500
Yes I ride all four
Old 01-11-2018, 08:58 AM   #158
brcol

Went back and did some reading, Metrick Metal ended up with a 5" spacer on his install. After final assembly yesterday I re-measured my preload and its as expected at 20mm with the 4 3/4" spacer.
Old 01-12-2018, 09:22 PM   #159
Tundra Dweller

Checked the maint. log. I too started at 5.00" and shortened them to 4.300"

2008 Bandit 1250 SA
2013 BMW GS 650 Sertao
1975 Norton Commando 850
1974 Kawasaki H-1 500
Yes I ride all four