• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

SS 1000 to Alamogordo

YoDoc

Reaction score
First Name
Eric
I have a week off next week as I transition from one job to another. I had a thought of doing a SS1000 to Alamogordo, then just kind of meandering back.

Any advice on what to see?

What route will you use to Alamogordo to turn 571 miles from Euless into 1000 miles?

Or, is the meandering back part of the SS1000?

As far as what to see,
Ride out to Sunspot from Cloudcroft for some nice road. Visit the museum if you have an interest in Solar Astronomy.
Meander over to Weed, NM for a tasty burger while in the neighborhood.
The back road from Cloudcroft to Ruidoso is a nice ride through the Reservation.
If riding from Ruidoso toward San Antonio, NM there is a lava field that crosses the highway, and, there is the North entrance to the Trinity Site where the first A-bomb was tested.
Smokey Bear's home and tourist stop is in Lincoln, NM, as is the Billy The Kid Museum (or something like that).
There is the UFO Museum in Roswell.
The Space Museum and Planetarium, White Sands, and if you look up you might see Stealth Fighters as all these are in Alamogordo.

Carlsbad Caverns Dude.:dude: Just a tad south but so worth it especially if you have never been. You will be too close to pass it by.

Like Moto Tex said the UFO museum is a cool place to visit also. If you head back toward northern New Mexico I can help there on a route that is wonderful and scenic.

What route will you use to Alamogordo to turn 571 miles from Euless into 1000 miles?

7e33f0d7d3a702f60e23848322cd8b84.jpg

I also thought about this, if I end up only being able to do one or two days instead of two or three.

452b7cc3baf3068b692e7ed5bcb19af6.jpg

It looks like you will be on the top part of the Enchanted Circle which 38 is motorcycle heaven. Roads like 434,518,64 are all really nice also. If you can make time ride the whole loop.

Eat at The Owl Cafe when in Albuquerque. In Albuquerque if you have the time you can do the Tram up the mountain,there is a Zoo,Old Town,and many other attractions.

Then take the Interstate South to San Antonio and have another Green Chili Cheesburger at the Owl Bar and Cafe. (I think the two are related)

Different owners. The Albuquerque one is owned by a motorcycle rider who has a restored old Harley.:rider: I heard the other place makes a mean burger also. So many good places to eat in New Mexico.

It probably won't be leisurely. Including sightseeing, probably 2.5 days max.

It probably won't be leisurely. Including sightseeing, probably 2.5 days max.

I should ride to the beach, put my toes in the sand, get a margarita, and send you the pics. That's leisurely ;)

Ugh. Tequila. Gracias, pero no me gusta, gracias.

Never mind. Forces beyond my control have shifted this trip to two days wandering in Hill Country rather than a flat out dash to the Rockies. New thread later.

Back