• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Mid July Colorado trip

jsb223

Reaction score
First Name
jsb223
I’m headed to Colorado in mid July for 3 days of riding. I’ll be doing day loops based out of Poncha Springs on the GS.

I’ll be riding primarily paved roads with a few forest service roads and easy passes if it’s dry.

As I’ll be riding solo I tend to err on the side of caution.

I’m looking for some scenic views available from the seat of the bike as I won’t be doing any hiking.

Although Cripple Creek, Crested Butte, and 550 south to north are on the itinerary I’m also looking for easy less traveled roads.

Tips, advice, places to get a great burger would be appreciated.

If massive storm happens to squat over the area I have routes for the 191 area of Arizona as well.

3 days ain't enough. What day are you leaving?

Hwy 149, South Fork to Creede to Lake City is a must.

Also, run up to Buena Vista, take Cottonwood Pass over to Taylor Lake, down to Almont, over to Crested Butte.

Try to get over to Ouray also. Also, Black Canyon of the Gunnison.

For a great burger on a great road(Hwy. 149), north of Creede about 10 miles is a place called Freemons Store. A friend used to own it and it always has great burgers. The road is awesome. take it all the way to Hwy. 50 outside Gunnison.

3 days ain't enough. What day are you leaving?

One of the disadvantages of living in the center of Texas

2 days there... 3 days riding... 2 days back...

In July and at my age 500 mpd will be rough enough.

Looking like 7-11 departure.

Hwy 149 is on the list

:rider:

If you're going to Crested Butte and are willing to do dirt you might as well go over Kebler Pass from CB to Highway 133 near Paonia State Park.
Go early in the day... if you get caught in an afternoon rain storm it gets snotty slippery.
You can do it on any street bike that you are willing to get dirty.

You going over to the Manitou/Colo Springs side of the mountain?
Fun little dirt road that's as smooth as 12 over Kebler Pass... Gold Camp Road.
It runs from the Old Colo City area of Colo Spgs up the mountain and back down Cheyenne Canyon Rd to the backside of the Broadmoor area. (or vice/versa)
It also can be done on any street bike you are willing to get dirty.

Out of Cripple Creek... County Rd 1 west to CR 11/High Park road to CO9 near Hwy 50 to Salida, is small, curvy and lonely. Wonderful road.
Hwy 50 along the Arkansas River and thru Bighorn Sheep Canyon is busy sometimes but worth the tow just to wave at the rafting tourists.
Hwy 50 goes over Monarch Pass to/from Gunnison... one of my very favs.

If you're near Salida about meal time, check out the Buffalo Smokehouse BBQ and Motorcycle Museum. Good Q and a few nice bikes. Owner Rusty Graves is a Harley/BMW buff. (can you do that?) He's got the original "Barney's Sidecar" rig from the Andy Griffith Show. If Rusty is there, tell him Yeeha Stephen sent you. And... see if you can get him talking about the upcoming 75th anniversary of the Sturgis Rally - what a hoot!

Overnighting in Gunnison? Garlic Mike's Italian on the north side of town is a must do every time for me. If the water is up, you can see rafters floating right by the back yard of Mike's.

I've got a couple of easy passes mapped out.

I've got a butler map as a backup.

I've got a new mountable motion picture camera for some 550 footage.

Probably overkill but I repacked my stuff and added some extra cold gear.

Better to have it and not need it.

I have not gotten a good chance to really ride this area... I'm pretty sure its going on the schedule for next summer if I can manage.

All the pics that I have seen are beautiful.

For a great burger on a great road(Hwy. 149), north of Creede about 10 miles is a place called Freemons Store. A friend used to own it and it always has great burgers. The road is awesome. take it all the way to Hwy. 50 outside Gunnison.

Small world, I was in there about three weeks ago. My relatives rent a cabin every year at San Juan Ranch just up the road two or three miles.

jsb, if you go over to Lake City, make sure to stop at North Clear Creek Falls. The most photographed waterfall in Colorado.

Also, if you follow hwy 50 east to the Royal Gorge Bridge, I was told that if you go later in the afternoon they allow you to drive across the bridge. Used to be you could drive across anytime. Hopefully they have opened the South Entrance and you can leave on that. When you get to Hwy 28 turn left for a great road. Eventually it turns to dirt, but it is very smooth and fast no surprises. Your GS will have no problem with that. Once you get to hwy 69 turn back to Poncha Springs. Also, on the same day you can ride down to Canyon City and ride Skyline Drive, a pretty amazing road.

In Salida (the next town to the east of Poncha Springs) there is a place that serves some pretty amazing Pizza called Amicas, check it out while you're there.

I lived in Glenwood Springs for seven years and have all kinds of recommendations for up in there, but as someone said, you only have three days.

Last edited:
I just got back from there. Don't know if this will help or not.
http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104161

The Gunnisack in Gunnison has won many awards for their burgers. Pics of my plate in the thread. For breakfast The "W" cafe but they are only open till 2PM. Are you camping or doing the hotel thing? Across the street is a great steak if it is in the budget.

Weather other than one huge rain storm was great. We camped the whole time and neither one of us froze at night. Temps were from 45-100 degrees. The colder weather was in New Mexico.

Last edited:
Thanks for the help and hints everyone.

I've got a list of must see's and some eatin' places.

Man, I never get invited to S@#t... Why doesn't anybody want to play with me?:tears: :lol2:

Have fun!

PS I still have your flashlight in my tankbag.... :lol2:

I plan to head out there in August or early September. Big Dave has expressed interest in going but not committed. I will likely truck out and base from Lake City area since I know that area and love the fishing there on Cibola Creek...you would be welcome to ride with me:chug:

Back