• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Intro to BaseCamp

I remember losing those too. Think I found them under View/Toolbars or one of the drop-down menus. Had to put a check in the box to show them again.

How are you guys getting maps other than the world map? I don't have any county roads or anything but highways. Is there a map pack I need to be buying, and if so, which? I have a garmin eTrex 20

How are you guys getting maps other than the world map? I don't have any county roads or anything but highways. Is there a map pack I need to be buying, and if so, which? I have a garmin eTrex 20

You can to go to garmin.com and download City Navigator maps for North America. These will have a lot more detail.

LINK

When you hook your GPS to your computer while basecamp is open it should recognize whatever maps are loaded on your GPS and load them into Basecamp. When you update maps on your GPS later on it loads and unlocks them in Basecamp too.:giveup::giveup:

When you hook your GPS to your computer while basecamp is open it should recognize whatever maps are loaded on your GPS and load them into Basecamp. When you update maps on your GPS later on it loads and unlocks them in Basecamp too.:giveup::giveup:

My GPS must remain connected to see the maps I have installed on it in Basecamp. As soon as I disconnect my GPS my U.S. TOPO disappears. I have heard of some saying theirs stays in Basecamp but I have not experienced that.

Even if I hook up to a new computer the maps I have loaded on the GPS will load and unlock on BASECAMP. Not sure on TOPO maps all my experience is with ZUMO and NUVI devices that use regular road maps.

When I update my GPS device with new maps it automatically loads and unlocks in BASECAMP as well.

Maybe it's a think with the TOPO maps.

I have a basecamp question. I have been using mapsource for years with no issues. Its still on my old lap top that is my garage computer now. Mid year we bought a new computer so I downloaded basecamp so I would be set when I needed to use my gps for any trips. Well I have only just been trying to download and view tracks (downloaded from big dog and some that I have had) in basecamp and it doesn't work.

When I click the track file I get a box pop up that says do you want to allow this to make changes to app basecamp. I click yes then get a box that says garmin extracting files or something similar and a green status bar goes up to 100%. Then a box comes up that says welcome to garmin basecamp setup wizard click next to begin installation of software. Click next then get the user agreement. Hit accept and click next. Then finally I get a box that says please wait while basecamp installs this could take a few minutes and a green status bar goes to just over half way then stops. It will sit like this for an hour if I let it.

I have my Montana 650t plugged in and it has city navigator 2017 on a micro sd card loaded. I've deleted all garmin software from my computer and tried to reload it. I contacted garmin support and got a reply but wasnt too helpful. I responded but still havent heard back. Just wondering if anyone out there may have an idea of what may be going wrong.

Thanks...Jeff

If you already have Basecamp installed and you try to open a GPX file in it, I have no idea why it would be asking you allow changes to be made to app basecamp :scratch: Are you using a Basecamp App, like a program for a mobile device, or the full version of Basecamp that you'd use on a desktop? I am not even aware of a Basecamp App (which means nothing though).

If I want to view a GPX file, I import it into Basecamp and just view it like any other track I might have. If you double click the file in the Windows File Explorer, it will automatically import it and open it, but you won't have any control over where it puts the track in your Basecamp folders/lists. That can get messy. So I like to open Basecamp first, then use the File-> Import option so I can control where it goes.

If you already have Basecamp installed and you try to open a GPX file in it, I have no idea why it would be asking you allow changes to be made to app basecamp :scratch: Are you using a Basecamp App, like a program for a mobile device, or the full version of Basecamp that you'd use on a desktop? I am not even aware of a Basecamp App (which means nothing though).

If I want to view a GPX file, I import it into Basecamp and just view it like any other track I might have. If you double click the file in the Windows File Explorer, it will automatically import it and open it, but you won't have any control over where it puts the track in your Basecamp folders/lists. That can get messy. So I like to open Basecamp first, then use the File-> Import option so I can control where it goes.

Yep Basecamp is already installed. Tried to open the GPX file and it takes me through the installation go round. It is on a desktop and I think calling it an app is a windows 10 thing.

I open all the same GPX files on my old laptop running mapsource by doing what you just described. For some reason it doesn't work in Basecamp on this machine.

I'm poking around Garmin right now trying to figure some things out.

Thanks

That's just the way basecamp is. I bet I downloaded the same track/route 20 times trying to get it open because that was how it worked using Mapsource.

In Basecamp, it seem to require that I open BC and import the file. Otherwise it did exactly what you described.

Total pain and completely unintuitive(I know, not a real word).

That's just the way basecamp is. I bet I downloaded the same track/route 20 times trying to get it open because that was how it worked using Mapsource.

In Basecamp, it seem to require that I open BC and import the file. Otherwise it did exactly what you described.

Total pain and completely unintuitive(I know, not a real word).

WOW!!! I just went into BC and clicked import into my collection, found the file I wanted clicked it and.... you gotta be kidding me It all loaded up. Jeez Garmin really?

Thank you so much for pointing that out.

Jeff

So this is sad. It appears the forum linked in the first post is no more, and thanks to Photobucket, all the images in the quoted text are gone. Any copies of this tutorial somewhere else? I was going to give a link here to someone but I'm glad I checked before I sent it.

I have a question.

I recently updated my work computer and had to do a clean install of Winbloze 7. I copied the directories with my map files to a spare external drive. I reinstalled Basecamp but can't figure out how to get it to see the map files. I have the CD somewhere so I can reinstall off it if I absolutely have too, but I was hoping to avoid having to dig around for it if possible. Is there some way to make Basecamp see the files?

If it is a new install of Basecamp then you will need to do a clean install of the maps. I have the same problem since moving to a new laptop and have yet to find a hack to get the old maps to authorize on the new machine.

i am a long long way from a computer guru but have you tried connecting your GPS to your computer. I bought a new lap top in May loaded base camp and also hook my zumo up at same time which has life time maps and have no problems at all had my GPS library on a disc, don't no whether you talk about city navigator map are your GPS files you store on PC There is a install map in the MAPS tab and a manage maps products sub tab were i see my city navigation map in C drive, hope this helps

Aaron

It should load what's on the GPS unit upon connection

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My GPS did not come preloaded with a map. I bought City Nav 2015 and installed that on my computer. When I go somewhere, I usually don't have the entire country loaded at once. I just load the areas where I will be riding. It loads and scrolls faster this way.

So this is sad. It appears the forum linked in the first post is no more, and thanks to Photobucket, all the images in the quoted text are gone. Any copies of this tutorial somewhere else? I was going to give a link here to someone but I'm glad I checked before I sent it.

Yep. Same here. There is discussion on the IB Motorcycle Riders FB page and I was about to point them here.
:giveup:

Some of the IB riders are raving about these help pages put out by the New England Riders so I'm just passing this along.

http://www.newenglandriders.org/GPS/Learn_BaseCamp.htm
Wow thanks, that looks like a very detailed and clear tutorial. If I ever get a rained out day while traveling I now have reading material. Always wanted to use Base Camp for more than import/export but man is the learning curve steep.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

Back