TWT Forums  

Go Back   TWT Forums > General Discussion > General

Notices

Forum Jump

Old 12-03-2018, 04:03 PM   #1
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

TWT will be offline 12/21/18 10:00pm CST - 12/23/18 10:00pm CST

I will be taking the forum off line starting at 10:00pm on Dec. 21st.

During this time, I will be moving the site to a new server and also changing to new forum software (XenForo). During this time I have to back up the existing forum database, transfer all the files to the new server, and then run an import routine that pulls the existing data out of the vBulletin database and re-formats it for importation into the XenForo database. Once the import is done, there is a mess load of site configuration stuff that has to be done before I can bring the site back online.

IF all goes according to plan, the site should be back up in less than 24 hours... I have done several test transfers in an attempt to identify and resolve any potential issues and things have gone pretty smoothly.

During the downtime, there will be a temporary page up to let people know what is going on. Also, there will be a link on that page to the TWT Facebook page. I will try to post updates there as I get the opportunity.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/21599039945/

Total Forum Supporter Donations For November: $33.96 - Previous Month: $635.07 - Record High: Jan 16 $1539.42 - 111 Current Forum Supporters out of 20871 Users (0.53%)
Support TWT by shopping at Amazon

The number one rule for this forum!
Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. Eph 4:29 (NIV)
Think before you post. Leave out the vulgarity, personal attacks and foul language!

Quote:
"However lofty the goals, if the means be depraved, the result must reflect that depravity." - Leonard E. Read

Lies are fragile. They require constant attentiveness to keep them alive. The exposure of a single truth can rip through an ocean of lies, evaporating it instantly. - Brandon Smith

If you want government to intervene domestically, you’re a liberal. If you want government to intervene overseas, you’re a conservative. If you want government to intervene everywhere, you’re a moderate. If you don’t want government to intervene anywhere, you’re an extremist. — Joe Sobran

It is no crime to be ignorant of economics, which is, after all, a specialized discipline and one that most people consider to be a ‘dismal science.' But it is totally irresponsible to have a loud and vociferous opinion on economic subjects while remaining in this state of ignorance. – Murray N. Rothbard

When one possessed of the Truth suffers from a heavy heart he is susceptible to a more dangerous affliction — the craving for power to eradicate error, to cause Truth to triumph by force. - Frank Chodorov

Where politicians flourish, long history has harshly taught us, people and their liberty wither. Where the state is god and the "public interest" worshipped, individual man will be found bleeding upon the altar. - Karl Hess

The accepted wisdom is that without the state, society would collapse into lawlessness and crime. In fact, lawlessness and crime define the very nature of the state and the society organized by it. - Bionic Mosquito

But the myth of the rule of law does more than render the people submissive to state authority; it also turns them into the state's accomplices in the exercise of its power. For people who would ordinarily consider it a great evil to deprive individuals of their rights or oppress politically powerless minority groups will respond with patriotic fervor when these same actions are described as upholding the rule of law. - John Hasnas
Tourmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 04:55 PM   #2
StromXTc
Forum Supporter

Re: TWT will be offline 12/21/18 10:00pm CST - 12/23/18 10:00pm CST

Question

After it's all said and done, will it forward us to the new url when we attempt to visit the old twtex site?
I'm ruined for work. Thinking of blue skies and dirt roads
StromXTc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 05:18 PM   #3
WoodButcher
Administrator

No, it will be the same name. No forwarding going on. Different IP address, of course.

I met a girl who sang the blues
And I asked her for some happy news
But she just smiled and turned away - American Pie, Don McLean

2009 R1200GS Adventure - The Bug Killer
2013 K1600GT - Serenity
WoodButcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 06:39 PM   #4
StromXTc
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodButcher View Post
No, it will be the same name. No forwarding going on. Different IP address, of course.
So what your saying that if I choose this
http://www.twtex.com/forums/index.php
It will take me to the new site...good. Thanks
Old 12-03-2018, 06:58 PM   #5
Crew Chief

Oh noooo! What will we do???????

Good luck and thanks for the hard work!
'95 Kawasaki Concours
'01 Kawasaki KLR 650
'82 Yamaha XJ650R Seca
'74 Kawasaki H1 500

"Try not to become a man of success but rather to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein
Crew Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 07:02 PM   #6
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

Quote:
Originally Posted by StromXTc View Post

Or, for now you can just use the www.twtex.com and it will get you to the main forum page. I may add a homepage later, similar to what we have now.

Total Forum Supporter Donations For November: $33.96 - Previous Month: $635.07 - Record High: Jan 16 $1539.42 - 111 Current Forum Supporters out of 20871 Users (0.53%)

Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. Eph 4:29 (NIV)
Think before you post. Leave out the vulgarity, personal attacks and foul language!

Quote:
"However lofty the goals, if the means be depraved, the result must reflect that depravity." - Leonard E. Read

Lies are fragile. They require constant attentiveness to keep them alive. The exposure of a single truth can rip through an ocean of lies, evaporating it instantly. - Brandon Smith

If you want government to intervene domestically, you’re a liberal. If you want government to intervene overseas, you’re a conservative. If you want government to intervene everywhere, you’re a moderate. If you don’t want government to intervene anywhere, you’re an extremist. — Joe Sobran

It is no crime to be ignorant of economics, which is, after all, a specialized discipline and one that most people consider to be a ‘dismal science.' But it is totally irresponsible to have a loud and vociferous opinion on economic subjects while remaining in this state of ignorance. – Murray N. Rothbard

When one possessed of the Truth suffers from a heavy heart he is susceptible to a more dangerous affliction — the craving for power to eradicate error, to cause Truth to triumph by force. - Frank Chodorov

Where politicians flourish, long history has harshly taught us, people and their liberty wither. Where the state is god and the "public interest" worshipped, individual man will be found bleeding upon the altar. - Karl Hess

The accepted wisdom is that without the state, society would collapse into lawlessness and crime. In fact, lawlessness and crime define the very nature of the state and the society organized by it. - Bionic Mosquito

But the myth of the rule of law does more than render the people submissive to state authority; it also turns them into the state's accomplices in the exercise of its power. For people who would ordinarily consider it a great evil to deprive individuals of their rights or oppress politically powerless minority groups will respond with patriotic fervor when these same actions are described as upholding the rule of law. - John Hasnas
Old 12-03-2018, 10:59 PM   #7
WoodButcher
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by StromXTc View Post
Since that page may not exist with that exact name, the safe way will be to go to www.twtex.com to start with and re-bookmark the new main page of the forum listing.

I met a girl who sang the blues
And I asked her for some happy news
But she just smiled and turned away - American Pie, Don McLean

2009 R1200GS Adventure - The Bug Killer
2013 K1600GT - Serenity
WoodButcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 07:53 PM   #8
jfink
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourmeister View Post
I will be taking the forum off line starting at 10:00pm on Dec. 21st.

During this time, I will be moving the site to a new server and also changing to new forum software (XenForo). During this time I have to back up the existing forum database, transfer all the files to the new server, and then run an import routine that pulls the existing data out of the vBulletin database and re-formats it for importation into the XenForo database. Once the import is done, there is a mess load of site configuration stuff that has to be done before I can bring the site back online.

IF all goes according to plan, the site should be back up in less than 24 hours... I have done several test transfers in an attempt to identify and resolve any potential issues and things have gone pretty smoothly.

During the downtime, there will be a temporary page up to let people know what is going on. Also, there will be a link on that page to the TWT Facebook page. I will try to post updates there as I get the opportunity.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/21599039945/
That's a mighty big "IF".

'04 Goldwing (ich bin eine Deutschlander) (US States and Canadian Provinces)
'11 KTM 990 Dakar (all 23 countries in South, Central and North America)
'14 KTM 500 Exc
'14 BMW GTL Exclusive
'17 KTM Super Duke GT

Where I have ridden
jfink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 07:59 AM   #9
Dahveed

Oh no, this is change. I think it’s been proven that there are only a few types of “good” change. New software isn’t in that list. Please let it work and look exactly the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The DFW Area DS Road Map
Dahveed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 12:16 PM   #10
2WheelNut
Forum Supporter

2 whole days without TWT? Guess I'll have to go for a ride....
2013 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
2012 Yamaha WR450F (Plated)
2007 BMW R1200GS Adventure
2004 Suzuki GSXR 750 (Track only)
2WheelNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 01:02 PM   #11
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahveed View Post
...and look exactly the same.
It will be close.

Quote:

Old 12-06-2018, 05:24 PM   #12
Crew Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahveed View Post
Oh no, this is change. I think it’s been proven that there are only a few types of “good” change. New software isn’t in that list. Please let it work and look exactly the same.

You're tough, you can take it!
'95 Kawasaki Concours
'01 Kawasaki KLR 650
'82 Yamaha XJ650R Seca
'74 Kawasaki H1 500

"Try not to become a man of success but rather to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein
Crew Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 10:33 AM   #13
RollingJ

I am absolutely done with tapatalk. Yesterday I was bombarded with banner ads in the posts. I love thier gui and ease of use, but I'm not going to stand for that.

I hope the new system is designed better for mobile platforms, as the legacy system does not play well with my mobile phone.

2006 KTM 450 XC-G Plated
I'm allergic to selfish
RollingJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 01:20 PM   #14
Texas T
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollingJ View Post
I hope the new system is designed better for mobile platforms, as the legacy system does not play well with my mobile phone.
It is.

* Brian & Brenda * IBA 50053 & 50354 * IBA Atomic 1000 SS1K Founding riders * Tour Of Honor riders since 2012 * 2002 Goldwing

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." - Saint Augustine
Texas T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 04:00 PM   #15
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

Here's a preview of what the site will look like initially.

Once the transfer is complete, I will be making a few changes to the organizational structure, nothing major though.

I will be adding some "add-ons" that will improve the features for users.

Quote:

Old 12-08-2018, 05:08 PM   #16
South Tex
Forum Supporter

Will we be able to get it in an app form on the phone? I use Tapatalk which has been overrun with adds.

South Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 10:15 PM   #17
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Tex View Post
Will we be able to get it in an app form on the phone? I use Tapatalk which has been overrun with adds.

There is no need for a mobile app with the new forum software. It automatically detects your screen size and adjusts accordingly. Here is what it will look like. I shrank my desktop browser so the image is still big compared to a phone screen, but the format will be the same.

and here is what it looks like if you click the triple bar option thing in the upper left corner.

Quote:

Old 12-08-2018, 10:20 PM   #18
StromXTc
Forum Supporter

Thumbs up Re: TWT will be offline 12/21/18 10:00pm CST - 12/23/18 10:00pm CST

Scott, looks good. I see the all important new posts button on the right and left sides. Easy access from either side. I see you have added more screenshots as I am typing this

Yes , tapatalk is a mess now. Always used this native side except for when I want to post pics.

Thanks for your hard work scott. will be sure santa makes a visit to the donation bin just like last year.

BEAUTIFULLY CLEAN GUI

Last edited by StromXTc; 12-08-2018 at 10:22 PM.
Old 12-08-2018, 10:35 PM   #19
aspr

I don't like change

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
aspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 12:58 AM   #20
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspr View Post
I don't like change

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
The only thing that never changes is that things always change...

Quote: