• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Front wheel balancing

Reaction score
First Name
Thierry
Last Name
Cottin
At least balancing is ok but...what do you thing about this?My suzuki dealership won't see me again in its workshop.Each time I went to "axe motos"for service stuff it's always bad work.After an e.mail to complain I got a phone call from the manager and he tried to explain that it was normal.No it's not.They lost a customer who bought 3 bikes for 10 years and that's all.

Attachments

• 20170328_121241.jpg
    20170328_121241.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 216
  • 20170328_121253.jpg
    20170328_121253.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 196
  • 20170328_121303.jpg
    20170328_121303.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 201
Not how it would leave my place ......but for many, function over form is all that matters.

My opinion, function is bad as well, with those weights hanging off the edge, they are likely to get snagged and come off, have dirt or water intrusion, the adhesive fail, weights come off.

Form...Well frankly it looks like poo.
The weights should be black, they should be aligned....and there likely could be less if the tire was broken down and rotated

Last edited:
Is that 180 deg. past valve core? Looks like a lot of weight to me. 10/4 0n rotating tire

Last edited:
I've never seen a motorcycle tire require that much weight. Is it possible the tire is defective?

Where's the dot in relation to the valve stem?

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Some tires require that much, like mentioned above I usually rotate the tire on the rim and try again if so. I know for a fact that black wheel weights with rounded corners are available as I have several strips of them.

Last edited:
What kind of tire is that so I can avoid it? The last four or 5 tires I have gotten needed little to no balancing at all. Maybe I just had a great string of luck????

Whoa, I never use that much weight. Here's how I do it. I take the bare rim and check the balance on it, then mark the heaviest spot with a grease marker. Then mount the tire with the red dot at my mark. I tape on the weights first. If they seem excessive I will rotate the tire on the rim 90° and try it again. Never the less, I've never seen a tire and rim take that much weight. The front tire on my old GPZ never required any weight. The rear never required more than 1 ounce.

If you are anywhere near a Cycle Gear you should shop there. I've never seen a hack job like that before.

Dave

Thierry lives in southern France. Probably no Cycle Gear stores there.

Thierry lives in southern France. Probably no Cycle Gear stores there.

Indeed! Never again I will be a customer in that store.I told that to the manager who called me after an e.mail.What a shame!I had bought 3 brand new bikes.Shame on you "axe moto".

My grom uses that much weight, sometimes on each wheel. It varies with the tire so I know the major problem is the tires, not the wheel. I continue to use the Mitas tires because they win. I would not be happy with that balance job. Rotate the tire and if that does not help, temporarily tape the weights and then solid pieces applied.

My grom uses that much weight, sometimes on each wheel. It varies with the tire so I know the major problem is the tires, not the wheel. I continue to use the Mitas tires because they win. I would not be happy with that balance job. Rotate the tire and if that does not help, temporarily tape the weights and then solid pieces applied.

I will do it later.For now I had some problems with my father's health(85 Y.O)and he is coming out from the hospital this morning.He got a stroke 2 weeks ago but he's fine now.

Balance the rim with a new valve stem installed.

Mark the heavy spot

Match it to the light spot on the tire

Chances are on good tires you won't have a balance issue.

I just run the beads (air soft) in tubeless tires but some folks don't like that idea.

Back